Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Spike VGA Nominations

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 109 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:17:11 PM PST
DVvM says:
No, but it's surprising how many people who set out to create "art" games end up making meditations on love and loss that take the form of indie platformers with simple palettes.

It's like if darn near everybody who set out to create "art" film was trying to remake the same movie over and over again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:15:16 PM PST
Anthony says:
lol. i spent the entire paper talking about how bad the play was, and how much worse the movie was.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:13:56 PM PST
Anthony says:
Bio-Dome is still better than son-in-law. or whatever the hell it was. how i hate paulie shore.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:13:04 PM PST
Anthony says:
yes because art is never, ever, pretentious.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:54:51 PM PST
WizardPlus says:
Max Payne 3 is highly over-rated! His Hawaiian shirt was cool though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:18:23 PM PST
I absolutely 100% whole heartedly agree with you about "art" games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:59:32 PM PST
I agree with you on that one. Bio-Dome is complete **********. Then again, I've seen junk like Chairman of the Board.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:58:19 PM PST
Night Trap has a better narrative than Bio-Dome.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:57:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:02:06 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, in most creative forms, the majority of works will be something that doesn't really demand much from the viewer, since that's the most efficient way to convince a large number of people to give you money for what you made. It's just that in other art forms, this isn't necessarily all there is. I mean, movies have their "The Seventh Seal" and books have their "Ulysses" to offset things like "the Expendables" and "The Da Vinci Code". Video games don't really have much of that high minded or difficult stuff, definitely not in wide distribution (and even a lot of "art" games are just pretentious indie platformers, anyway.)

That's not to say, for example, that William Faulkner is simply better than, say, J.K. Rowling, just that it's good to have a wide variety of different things that will appeal to different people or at different times, which is not something that games (being a young art form) do particularly well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:55:49 PM PST
Well, I meant on a narrative level.

I still think Resident Evil has a better narrative than F********* Bio-Dome

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:54:21 PM PST
Touché.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:53:59 PM PST
Haha, sounds awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:53:45 PM PST
Shaq-Fu?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:51:46 PM PST
I can tell from the video that Kung Fu Hamlet sounds like it will be great fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:50:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 9:55:10 PM PST
Does the Video Game medium have a game as bad as Bio-Dome? Or Manos, the Hands of Fate?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:49:21 PM PST
Ouch. The best film adaptations of Shakespeare have to be the ones by Kenneth Branagh.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:48:32 PM PST
I get that. It's just that the same seems to be true for all entertainment media. The vast majority of games don't require much thought or intellectual engagement. The same can be said of movies, books, music, etc.

That said, this industry DOES have some amazing lows!

I'm curious how the Tropes vs. Women thing is coming along. Definitely looking forward to that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:46:08 PM PST
Anthony says:
that sounds worse than the version of Hamlet with Ethan Hawke. had to write an essay comparing the play with a movie version, and that was the only version left. spent the entire paper blasting the movie about how awful it was. didn't help that i hated the play in the first place. still got a B on it, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:39:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 9:40:24 PM PST
DVvM says:
If you get a chance, go see it: http://www.kungfuhamlet.com/

The script was translated from Elizabethan English, to Chinese, and then back to English (poorly).

The entire play is dubbed, with the actors lip synching (badly).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:36:16 PM PST
Wait...

Shakespeare? Kung-Fu?

*Goes to Google immediately *

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:33:28 PM PST
LMAO, I had to see never say never with my lil sis, but that movie made it clear that he has talent for music. He just doesn't utilize it whatsoever in his career.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:32:47 PM PST
DVvM says:
I mean, I once paid money for a ticket to see "Kung Fu Hamlet". That was unquestionably a disgrace to Shakespeare, but it was also a hell of a good time.

I'm mostly just saying that the bar for video games is set pretty low since this is an extremely populist medium. Very few games exist that really demand something from the user on an intellectual level. This is fine, but it does mean that if you're disgracing the medium, you're stooping awfully low.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:30:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 9:33:54 PM PST
Nah, I asked out a really cute female friend (who happens to be a nerdy pegasister) to see Wreck -It-Ralph, but she's visiting her dad for thanksgiving, so I've just been pissed/dumb as s/&* for the past few days over not asking her earlier. =T

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:30:26 PM PST
The obvious implication being that games are not fine art. Let's not get into that. Again.

I mean, there are plenty of books that could be considered a "disgrace" to literature. But no one says Fifty Shades of Grey brings down the culture of books as a whole. Plenty of people argue that things like Call of Juarez: The Cartel, the Tomb Raider rape scene, the Hitman: Absolution trailer, and the Anita Sarkeesian incident all reflect poorly upon video games and gamers as a whole.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:26:19 PM PST
I downvoted this. Not necessarily because I disagree with anything you've said about MLP, but because you said that Bieber squanders his potential. This implies that he HAS potential.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  109
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions