Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sony: PS4's main selling point will be 'new playing options, not improved hardware specs'

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 130 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2013 10:24:16 AM PST
Sorry if already shared.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/08/sony-ps4-main-selling-point-new-playing-options/

As Sony Computer Entertainment warms up its blue lighting and double-checks its playlist for February 20th, one unnamed SCE official says that the PlayStation 4 will act as more of a home entertainment hub than what we've seen in the past. They added, according to the Nikkei, that the main selling point won't be the rumored eight-core AMD64 CPU or other hardware specs, but how it opens up new styles of play -- something Nintendo is also focusing on. Sony is going to push the new console as a home entertainment "nerve center," with a focus on the hardware's ability to connect and share to mobile devices -- the rival that's pulling gamers away from traditional consoles. Edge had previously mentioned the possibility of a dedicated share button on the next-gen controller, though that remains a product of the rumor mill at the moment. No discussion on any Gaikai-powered cloud gaming just yet, but following its unveiling later this month, the report states that the new PlayStation should launch before the end of the year. A bit of a shame, then, that it's still only February.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 10:45:02 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Wow, did Saturo Iwata jump companies?

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 10:48:20 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
They've been trying to build an ecosystem since the introduction of the PS3, this doesn't surprise me.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 10:48:25 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Why aren't Flores and Doug chiming in? That sure is strange.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 10:54:49 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Flores temporarily rage quit the VGF.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 10:55:08 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
The PS4 could possibly push my Steambox purchase to next year depending on launch price and launch titles.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 10:55:33 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Fake Flores rage quit.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:00:00 AM PST
Looks like he might still be reading and downvoting you though...

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 11:00:50 AM PST
This would be a smart business move by Sony. Which immediately makes me suspicious if it really came from them.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 11:03:59 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I can't wait for "All I Wanted Was a Diet Pepsi".

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 11:06:26 AM PST
DVvM says:
It was pretty obvious that they were going to do this. Their "we will put out the best hardware and get the best games" gambit was the PS3, and that was nowhere near as successful as originally envisioned. Since the company is bleeding money, going for modest specs for a modest price and trying to appeal to everybody with a wide variety of options (not just games) is a wholly sensible thing to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:07:16 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I doubt it's him. I was actually a fan of his. You'd have to be pretty pathetic to even use a message board, but then to downvote stalk someone? You may as well just /wrists because you've hit rock bottom.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:10:40 AM PST
Well, you seem to have some sort of downvote stalker...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:11:09 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Ehh .. the specs are almost confirmed to be quite strong.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:17:00 AM PST
DVvM says:
Compared to what? The PS3? Yeah. But we'll see how they compare to the NeXtbox or a bog-standard gaming PC come next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:17:18 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
I upvoted him! Love that button.

I will say that I am getting excited for the new systems. I have a huge backlog but the new machines will be so shiny and neat.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:18:00 AM PST
Well, we can't really comment until an official announcement is made but assuming the rumored specs are true, how much will be made available for developers? I mean, even on the PS3 a developer could not access all of T3h C3LL's power. The Wii U has 2GB of RAM but half of that is for the system.

Sony's new system may well have 4GB of DDR5 RAM but if it is continually recording fifteen minutes of gameplay footage, operating a dual-camera EyeToy thing and running Sony's version of Miiverse then a fair amount of those resources will have to be reserved for the system.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:19:27 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
Holy crap. Tech talk is way over my head. I have no idea what you just said....I take it that the PS4 will be powerful??

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 11:19:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2013 11:25:29 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
SO misleading in every way. He's talking about doing a huge hardware jump obviously from current gen. But their main selling point is going to be their games, software capabilities, and an 'media' hub. That doesn't mean they are using just slightly better or the same hardware as the PS3...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:20:35 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
All he said was 4GB DDR5 RAM... how is that a lot? And it's pretty basic information :P

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:21:36 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
And this is why they should give developers the options to turn that ish off. There should be options and it should say on the box "need to turn off eyetoy, miiverse and recording for optimal performance" then developers could use more resources on these game machines for.. uh... Games.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:22:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2013 11:23:50 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Okay, but it will still run next gen engines so I don't understand the concern.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:23:44 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
No, the other stuff about using the Eyetoy etc. I do get it....I just don't keep up with tech like I used to. I stopped around the time of the Xbox and a Pentium IV.

After all the talk about the WiiU and all its variables, I get lost on whether something or not is powerful. Where the power goes, what it does. Like is the Jaguar really 64 bits and all that nonsense!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:24:56 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Oh no doubt, I got you now.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:25:01 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: In a forum where the trolls roam freely and the console war rages, there is one last bastion of hope. Where the righteous make their final stand. They call it "the OT." 2125 1 minute ago
Had never considered dropping 200 on a game... 28 4 minutes ago
Far Cry 4 Elephants Trailer 13 11 minutes ago
Destiny - 6.5/10 from Destructoid (includes Raid) 39 14 minutes ago
OT: George Zimmerman follows man in his car, yells " Do you know who I am? I'll (expletive) kill you!" 45 26 minutes ago
A Wild Theory About Destiny's Story 19 27 minutes ago
Sony Adds Free DLC Maps to Killzone: Shadow Fall because no one would actually buy it 56 36 minutes ago
You can reboot 3 Nintendo IPs long dormant...Which do you choose and why? 13 36 minutes ago
Sony has drunk secks w/ Air Jordans and craps out ths devil spawn baby for shoe-derps and fanbois 13 41 minutes ago
Unbiased Review of Horowitz. 18 49 minutes ago
OT: Hilary Clinton Announces She is Running for President during Iowa Trip 110 51 minutes ago
Rumour: Images Leaked for Guerrilla Games' New IP - News 13 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  130
Initial post:  Feb 8, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions