Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Nintendo TVii launches tomorrow in US

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 8:41:31 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Nintendo TVii for Wii U will launch tomorrow, December 20 in the United States, Nintendo announced today. The company has bold plans for the streaming service, as Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said in a statement, "After December 20, you'll never look at your TV the same way again."

Nintendo TVii was not available for Wii U at launch, with Nintendo director of product marketing Bill Trinen explaining "a few additional tweaks" needed to be made to ensure the service was "absolutely perfect" when it launched.

Nintendo TVii works with cable and satellite providers, as well as streaming services like Hulu and Netflix. Though Netflix will not be available through Nintendo TVii at launch, Netflix users can still access video content through the streaming service's Wii U app.

Additionally, TiVo support will not be available for Nintendo TVii tomorrow. Nintendo said users can expect support for both Netflix and TiVo in "early 2013" in the United States.

Users must hold a subscription to these services to use Nintendo TVii, but no additional fees or equipment are required.

TVii viewers can use the GamePad to interact with others through commenting on specific live television moments and sharing those comments with others through Miiverse, Facebook, and Twitter.

There it is, can't wait. At least I'll get to try it before the world is snuffed out.

Woooooo!!!!! NTVii themed apocalypse-eve rave party!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:49:06 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Oh wow, so it IS coming tomorrow! Nice!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:50:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 8:58:09 AM PST
Ice King says:
So it's basically like a Roku, Apple TV, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, many BluRay players, etc. only you can make comments about what you're watching?

Am I missing something here? This sounds convenient but nothing groundbreaking.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I really don't understand how this is such a great thing or why we're acting like it's brand new.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:56:15 AM PST
It doesn't take much to make Nintendon'ts happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:04:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:06:23 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
A Roku box, Apple TV, BluRay players etc. can't really do what this app is promised to be able to do. Secondly the other consoles have separated apps that perform their specific functions, however they don't link - there's no consolidation.

Yeah sure, you could comment about what you're watching ala early Netflix on the Xbox 360 with it's (now removed) party chat feature, but this is going to be a better more convenient version of that (as you said).

But like most things Nintendo makes, the general populace will never give it the props it deserves until they try it themselves.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:19:24 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Any word when an Amazon Instant App will be available?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:19:46 AM PST
Aku says:
"But like most things Nintendo makes, the general populace will never give it the props it deserves until other companies half-assedly copy/paste it."

Fix that for you, man.

Anywho, does this mean the Wii U can act as a DirecTV HD box, or am I misreading this?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:22:04 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, there is a lot of hype for this service when there are other, cheaper alternatives out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:22:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:22:31 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I feel like that is a joke... And I'm tempted to laugh.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:24:36 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Baby's first cable box.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:25:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:25:55 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I dunno....we are hanging out on Amazon day-in, day-out...many of us i'd wager are Prime members...just so happens to be my preferred video streaming app on every other device connected to my TV since i already pay for it...

I dunno..'Haha'?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:26:53 AM PST
M. Lewis says:
I heard Amazon was available a few days ago. I haven't checked yet to make sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:27:27 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I thought it could have been a joke since Amazon doesn't even sell Wii U's. I doubt that they are going to support (or that Nintendo will let them even if they wanted to support) the Wii U with an Amazon VoD app.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:30:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:32:45 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Just seems like a perfect fit, and it seems very North American centric being they are being supported by cable providers. I would think Amazon would be up there in priority, i mean many Bluray players and Smart TV's ship with it? That would be a nice to have that integration.

On another note, if someone's TV is a smartTV, would it be possible to use the remote functions of the Wii U to access it thru the television? I would think so..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:31:24 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I love my Amazon Instant app, I have it on my Roku, PS3 and iPad.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:35:21 AM PST
Geomancer says:
Errm, I bought a Wii U almost two weeks ago, and the Amazon app has worked the whole time.

I've only used it for the free Prime shows, but it does have all the other pay per view (aka VOD) titles that you can purcahse in app via your pin #.

Works fine, as does the Netflix app.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:39:02 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
So you've been using it thru the browser?

Does the web version UI work on the touch screen for browsing?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:39:32 AM PST
There is an Amazon app on the Wii U

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:40:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:40:43 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Oh good, that's what i wanted to know.

Fox, do you even have a Wii U? :P

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:32:24 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yes.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:36:45 AM PST
Jon says:
My Wii U came preinstalled with the Amazon app ..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:50:21 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
'Cause the gamepad/remote is super cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:52:53 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Honestly, I use Amazon over Netflix as well for the same reason. Sure Netflix might have more stuff, maybe even a lot more stuff, but I don't stream that much, already have Netflix disc-based, and wanted the free shipping.

Anyway, it works for me.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 11:09:58 AM PST
Lucanus says:
As an avid Nintendo fan, I think WiiTV is stupid. I don't get the point. As for the Netflix/Amazon/Hulu stuff.... awesome the Wii U supports those streaming apps. Before the U I was stuck with only having a ps3, 360, iPad, computer and bluray player that could handle streaming services. I needed another piece of hardware for Netflix. What I really want is better U games, Monster Hunter can't come quick enough.

end rant/

Happy holidays. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:34:56 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Haha.

Just so I'm clear though, the idea is that all the content from all services is compiled and searchable on one app? Not a bad idea actually, but I'd like to see how it works in practice.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions