Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I finished Binary Domain. Some thoughts....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 9:59:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:00:56 AM PST
new Tron says:
Binary Domain to me is kind of like Nier. Its a game that has lots of things wrong with it, but you can forgive those things because what it does well, it does REALLY well.

For starters, the character dialogue/trust system is probably the worst I've ever seen in a game. Your squadmates ask you the most ridiculous, contrived questions, and you can easily tell what answer they want to hear in order to increase trust. Also, they constantly run across your line of fire while your unloading a magazine into a robot, and when you shoot them, the trust level drops. The kicker? The trust factor doesn't even matter, because your squadmates never obey your tactical commands anyway. The system is entirely broken. I'm not sure why they even included that feature in the first place. Also the cover system is very twitchy. Even worse than Mass Effect 2's.

In the face of all this, the game is still kind of awesome. It has a really great story. It's like a crazy combination of I, Robot and Terminator, with some really awesome twists. The gunfights are extremely intense, and the enemy AI is surprisingly good. They'll rush you and flank you if you try to stay in cover too long. Dismembering the robots so that they crawl across the ground legless, or when they start shooting other robots once you remove their heads...its all very fun. The shooting itself works really well and feels really good, and you can feel the shooting mechanic improve as you upgrade your gun throughout the game. The setpieces are really well done, and the sound design is top notch.

I liked the game overall, and would really like to see a more polished sequel that either overhauls or scraps that conversation system. Lots of good ideas in this game. Definitely worth playing, especially at the price it's at now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:01:21 AM PST
FOGE says:
I have this game. I havent played it, but from what you said, it just got bumped up a couple notches on the priority list. Thanks for the info Tron.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:20:48 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I loved the game personally. Yeah it's not the most polished thing in the world but for a game about blowing the hell out of hordes of robots it definitely has a lot more soul and personality than many other games in the genre. I personally never really had an issue with my teammates running into my line of fire which I have seen others mention. I also really like how building up the trust meter with certain teammates changes the story, specifically with some of the final sequences.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:24:06 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Good info. I really liked the demo but I couldn't pinpoint why. I just liked the overall feel of it.

And shooting robots.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:25:34 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
The demo was enough to convince me to pick this one up. I still haven't gotten it, but now that it's in the $20 range I will at some point. Glad to hear it's a good game throughout. And good to know the story is great - was difficult to discern with the small glimpse from the demo.

So did you use the headset or just the controller for conversations? And does French robot fall under the pros or cons category?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:29:31 AM PST
new Tron says:
I like the concept of building trust with your squadmates in theory, just didn't like the way it was executed in the game. It just seemed really shallow, and just for a minute, I actually saw where those pretentious indie devs who knock narrative in video games are coming from.

An example from early on...you're with Big Bo and Faye. Big Bo asks you "she has a sweet body, huh?" No matter how you answer, one party member will increase trust, and the other will decrease. It just seemed so forced and ultimately pointless. Why not put the trust factor into the gameplay itself? Such as covering their backs in battle? It could have been much more refined but just seemed thrown in there.

I don't want it to seem like I'm complaining too much. I really liked the game. Just that one aspect of it got on my nerves.

Another thing I just remembered that I really liked...the cutscenes were phenomenal in this game. The character animations were spectacular.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:31:22 AM PST
new Tron says:
I disabled my mic and just used the controller. Just seemed easier that way.

And the French robot is a pro! He's an awesome character, and very funny. He's a very stereotypical French guy (even though he's a robot), but really, all the characters in your party are stereotypes. It's part of the charm of the game, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:32:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:33:49 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Heh, pretty much everything you're saying was apparent to me in the demo, too. "Man, these conversations are really lame and seem pretty pointless. But I love shooting these robots, YEEHAW!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:35:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 1:01:24 PM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Oh sure, I agree that the whole thing was totally underdeveloped and could have been left out entirely. I still thought it was kind of cool though when it influenced the ending. At least they made it worth something. I suggest checking out the Yakuza series if you have not already done so. It's made by the same developer and has a lot of the same charm.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:35:14 AM PST
new Tron says:
That's exactly it. The combat is just so much fun, that you forget all the conversation nonsense quite quickly. And the excellent story was a bonus that I wasn't really expecting. It develops incredibly well as the game progresses, and the excellent cutscenes really help bring it to life.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:35:56 AM PST
Prankster says:
I want to play this game too. It's definitely in the price range I would consider picking it up at. Just a little progress with the backlog and I'll get this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:38:28 AM PST
OP says:
I think I had less of an issue with that, because I ended up bringing Charlie with Faye a good amount of the time. I don't think that grouping had any conflicting answers.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:59:40 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I liked the first level of this demo, absolutely loathed the second.

I might grab this at 10 bucks eventually when I'm desperate for a game.

I do want to experience the story.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:05:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 1:06:40 PM PST
UziHorowitz says:
I honestly found nothing inherently wrong with Binary Domain. Good story, fun and interesting characters, solid combat (shooting parts off of a robot is awesome) and cover system, good graphics, great boss battles, etc. I guess the voice acting repetition during gameplay could get annoying, especially Big Bo's lines, but it was one of the best TPS games I've played, and I've really played them all.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:11:49 PM PST
JWK says:
For those interested, Target is still selling this in a Two-fer Pack with Yakuza Dead Souls (PS3 only, obviously) for $30. I got it a month ago and haven't played either game. But it was too good a deal to pass up.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:14:44 PM PST
I was so psyched to play this when I bought it and then something shiny distracted me (was it a dime reflecting light from my monitor? Maybe). Anyway, I think I'd like to load this up now. Thanks Tron!

By the way, does anyone think Nintendo should make a port of this game and call it "U Robot"?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:21:47 PM PST
The Drizzle says:
same here, i bought it during a buy 2 get 1, just so i could have a third game. i know nothing about it, i just judged a book by its cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:25:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 1:25:21 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Aw, it's too bad Dead Souls only sells for $11 new. I might have done that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:01:19 PM PST
JWK says:
Yeah, I think Foge got both games from Gamefly for cheaper than $15 each, too. I happened to grab it during Targets B2G1 sale and since they were a bundle, they only counted as one game. That was a pretty good day. Especially since Target (sans Clearance section) has crappy deals most of the time.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:43:00 PM PST
Nicos says:
Did the French robot ever get his baguettes!?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions