Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I think I've been too hard on Dead Space 2

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 8:58:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 9:00:18 AM PST
JWK says:
Nothing says Christmas like a Dead Space game. After putting the kids to bed last night, I finished the last 4 chapters of Dead Space 2. (Had to finish the end of Chapter 13 when my wife was out of the room. No spoilers for those that haven't played it. She doesn't really like video game violence, and something tells me that part would have made her cross her heart and hope to die).

Anyway, someone asked recently if he should play DS2 or Crysis 2 first and I kind of did a minor rant about how Dead Space 2 is like the first game with better controls and half the soul. I still think that's *mostly* true. But the story becomes far more interesting toward the end of the game. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy my time with it, but the DS2 didn't make a great first impression. It's like the developers couldn't decide if they *really* wanted to make a survival horror game or an action game. It's definitely good, but it's like they took the Resident Evil 6 approach-- put a whole bunch of people making decisions about the game and it ends up feeling like a slew of ideas were thrown up against the wall to see what sticks. The ending was quite funny, though. That was refreshing.

Regardless, it's a good game with some noticeable flaws. I still enjoyed my time more with Dead Space 1, even if the controls show their age in 2012. I'm... cautiously optimistic about Dead Space 3. We'll have the demo soon. It appears Visceral is making the series even more like Gears of War. But with all the action, cover based shooting and co-op missions, I hope they don't take everything out that made the first game so special.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:00:19 AM PST
new Tron says:
I agree with you, JWK. The second half of Dead Space 2 was much better, and I went from "it's OK" to "this is a pretty good game". I still think the first game is significantly better, and also, I'm not sure if I'm interested in Dead Space 3 at all.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:00:36 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Dead Space 2 is one of my favorite games this gen. I know I am in the minority here, but I liked it a lot more than the first game.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:02:37 AM PST
It's okay.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:05:48 AM PST
JWK says:
I remembered you aren't a big fan of it. I felt exactly the same way for the first half. It really did get better later on, though.

I played the first three chapters in New Game +, but having all the upgrades and weapons and armor... it just seems kind of pointless. I don't think I'll play it ever again. But I had a good time with it.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:06:55 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
I love this series and i cant wait for the next one. I wont buy it day one because EA likes to drop the price in two weeks and the collector edition for DS2 sucked.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:08:36 AM PST
Were the controls for the first really that bad? I don't remember having any significant issues with them, but it's been a while since I've played(since EA had their origin code blunder). Regardless, the games are a breath of fresh air in the sci-fi horror genre. Not enough of that nowadays.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:10:27 AM PST
I finished the game, so it wasn't bad in any way, it was just forgettable. If you could skip the asteroid shooting part of the first game I'd play it over and over, I can't say that about the second one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:29:02 AM PST
G. says:
hah, I really hated that asteroid shooting part too...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:35:26 AM PST
I seriously doubt that anyone actually 'enjoyed' it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:39:57 AM PST
Marvelous says:
I'm right there with you. i enjoyed the first Dead Space very much, but the dated controls kind of held it back for me. Once I started Dead Space 2 I was a happy gamer. However, the scare factor dropped signifigantly.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:40:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 9:41:06 AM PST
Dead Space 2 plays differently than the first?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:42:45 AM PST
Marvelous says:
No, but the controls are more fluid.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:44:20 AM PST
LogJam says:
I'm really wondering how they're going to make the 3rd one as frightening as the 1st. In any case, if I co-op it, I'll still make my partner walk backwards the whole time, just in case.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:47:15 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Dead Space 2 mostly just felt like déjà vu to me. The difference was slight. They're both great games on par with one another.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:48:30 AM PST
Kruger says:
"I think I've been too hard on Dead Space 2" - it's OK, you did it all out of love and concern. One day, DS2 will thank you for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:51:59 AM PST
One thing I would like for dev's to do is to make it possible to trip on items on the ground. This would make walking backwards more of a risk than it currently is. Of course, they had better do good with hit detection if they were to do this.

co-op is going to play differently from single player(different events) from what I've read, very glad about that. Regardless of all of the hate that EA gets, they put this series out when it was not a given hit, so they get kudo's for not just making a clone of another game and trying to just sell the hype.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:54:30 AM PST
JWK says:
It needs to learn it's more important to be trusted than to be loved. That's why I sent it to it's room. No supper.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:57:16 AM PST
LogJam says:
I like that, mostly because it increases your chances of kicking an alien in the taint

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:30:42 AM PST
Horror sequels face a tough challenge. Good horror is based on fear of the unknown and keeping situations cloaked in obscurity. We know so much about The Marker and Isaac in DS2 that it's almost sure to not be as scary and involving. I haven't cracked it open yet, but I expect it won't be as memorable to me as DS1.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:36:49 AM PST
JWK says:
Wow. Really good point. Honestly, I didn't think the first game was scary at all. It's little more than a Necromorph falling from the ceiling or jumping from a vent. After the first couple times, you're over it. But it was incredible world, and that's hard to keep going for the second game.

In terms of scares, I actually thought Bioshock was scarier than Dead Space because the scares were far more subtle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:44:12 AM PST
I agree with this, Bioshock is tense almost from the beginning to the end.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:37:22 PM PST
pyroguy says:
you're not the only one pal

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:07:42 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:15 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Nintendo just announced a New 3DS 11 39 seconds ago
Xenoblade announced for 3Ds 13 48 seconds ago
OT: If you buy a six pack of craft beer, try a bottle, and hate it, what do you do with the other 5 bottles? 63 1 minute ago
OT: the ole iPhone vs Android debate 4 2 minutes ago
Weekend Gaming 8/29 - 8/31 17 3 minutes ago
OT: El new Tron no es hombre. Un hombre tome todas las cervezas y no le importa el sabor. 0 3 minutes ago
OT: How Many Kickers Should You Have On Your Fantasy Team? 39 4 minutes ago
OT: Cop is Not One of the Most Dangerous Jobs 86 5 minutes ago
Ultimate NES Remix Announced for 3DS, Launching on December 5th 1 8 minutes ago
Bayonetta 2 Gets a Launch Date 0 11 minutes ago
OT: This is the story, of a lovely thread, with 10,000 very lovely posts. All of them had words of fun, like the last one, the first one with downvotes! 8504 12 minutes ago
Diablo 2.1 patch tomorrow! 119 12 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions