Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Forbes writer calls for more Sony first paryy games on Vita

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 9:10:13 AM PST
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/11/16/its-a-rough-fall-for-the-playstation-vita/

This fall was supposed to be the time for the Playstation Vita to kick it into gear. Sony's struggling handheld got two major versions of AAA releases recently -first, Assassin's Creed: Liberation, and second, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified. Amongst a few other releases, those games could have been the keystones of a stronger Vita lineup and an answer to the oft-repeated call that there are just no games for the Vita. That hasn't happened.

Reviews for Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified have come out recently, and the game is getting panned within an inch of its life. It's currently got a 32 on Metacritic. Frequently appearing words include "mess," "disappointing," and "embarrassment." Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation is fairing a bit better at 70, but it's a far cry from the killer app that could finally juice lagging sales.

Liberation wasn't a bad game - not great, just good. It had a brown color scheme that had a way of looking muddy on the small screen, and it contained a tiny, tiny fraction of the content in Assassin's Creed 3, but the core experience was intact, if buggy. That's not good enough for the Vita. The Vita needs to prove that a powerful, dedicated gaming handheld is not only adequate but necessary, and it's still struggling to do that.

These two games reveal an uncomfortable fact about the Vita - it still doesn't have games that can stand up to its older console brother, and yet it costs the same. The games cost less, but barely less - Black Ops Declassified is $10 less than Black Ops 2, but appears to have somewhere around 1/10 the content. In a world where these games are at least theoretically competing with the best of the iPhone, making the argument that they are 40-50 times better than a $1 game becomes laughable.

I imagine that both of these games went into production long before the Vita started to put up the disappointing sales numbers that have characterized its short life so far. In the future, it could be even harder to get big name developers signing on to make new products for the handheld. Either Sony needs to swoop in with some serious first-party muscle, or this system is going to fizzle.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:12:10 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
What's the deal with Forbes getting so involved in video games lately?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:13:07 AM PST
They are big business.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:13:36 AM PST
Thank you Captain Obvious!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:16:45 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Forbes is really getting interested in gaming all of a sudden.

BTW, would someone kindly explain what a "First paryy" game is?. ; )

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:18:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:21:44 AM PST
It's a typo, which I am prone to do on tablets. The Y button happens to be right next to the T button on a QWERTY layout. Just mentally substitute "party" for "paryy".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:19:56 AM PST
Asian-made games.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:30:11 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Teve Torbes KNOWS how to paryy!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:33:16 AM PST
jtshiel says:
Maybe I'll hold off on the vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:47:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:53:04 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Yeah, I knew, I'm just playing with you. Amazon really should allow limited edits on thread titles.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:51:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:52:23 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
I'd love to see more big budget games on the system. Exploring the world of Golden Abyss, running around the swamps of the Bayou in Liberation, etc. is pretty awesome on a handheld. Sadly, until sales pick up, many won't invest the money into it. With a graphically impressive handheld, comes a much bigger budget than most handheld games.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:58:09 AM PST
Derek says:
Biggest mistake is not to allow PSN games to be allowed to play on Vita. I don't believe that Vita is not capable of running Limbo, Braid, Shank, etc. If these titles would become available on Vita, more people would buy it. I am thinking that Sony and 3rd party publishers are not sure whether they would want people who already purchased these on their PS3 to be able to transfer them for free to the Vita. If I could play Braid on both PS3 and Vita, I would buy more PSN games. I have owned PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP, but have not yet pulled the trigger on Vita for this very reason. It needs more sports games as well, and could maybe get cheaper android/ipad type of games like Angry birds. If they played their cards right, Vita could sell a lot of units. Even though I love Sony, lately I scratch my head on how they make business decisions to attract customers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions