Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Denny's franchise owner adding 5% Obamacare surcharge to customer bills

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 401-425 of 544 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:50:35 AM PST
Ice King says:
I'm obviously biased when it comes to this, but I think anyone who mocks fat people for being fat is a rude piece of shit.
Even the lazy scooter riders who make no effort to do anything about it don't deserve it.
Unless they're jerks themselves, then go nuts. But I think people who are jerks deserve to be mocked for whatever problems they have.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:51:03 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I just got back from the cafeteria downstairs. I don't get this: a grilled ham and cheese, fries, and a drink is $3.50, but a reasonable lunch-sized salad from the salad bar by itself is six or seven dollars.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:53:46 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
That's pretty much where I stand. I recognize I'm a hypocrite in this regard, though. I mean, hell, I was making fun of extreme right-wingers earlier in this very thread. Everyone has their touch-points, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:54:24 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
The joys of Aramark, my friend. We get the same deal. And if you want a salad that isn't pre-made stale crap you have to pay even more and get it based on weight.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:55:58 AM PST
Meth Panther says:
I disagree. I have no problem with fat people, but if you're so fat and lazy you can't bring yourself to walk, you deserve to be mocked.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:00:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:01:38 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Yeah - I was trying to be healthy (I really should have just brought lunch) and I made what I thought was a normal salad. No chicken, just veggies, not drowning in dressing or anything - I go to weigh it and it's $7. And it's a terrible salad bar!

Now I could have chosen something different, and I could have made my own lunch for cheaper. But I didn't, and neither did the other people down there - and most of them were in line for the ham n' cheese combo.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:02:07 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
We have the same company making our lunches. I wonder if we have the ham and cheese combo today? I'm getting myself corn dogs for the simple fact that I've survived this week and damnit, I deserve corn dogs. I've been actually working pretty hard at eating healthier of late.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:03:37 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I make my own salads. Salad bars are total ripoffs. I tend to buy the salad pre-mixed with veggies and add croutons (or the crispy onion things), bacos and boiled egg.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:04:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:11:57 AM PST
Lucanus says:
IMHO, we should go to a universal health care system. Everybody pays the same, except people can elect to a yearly physical that measures strength, flexibility, endurance, speed and agility. Healthly people get a discount. Encourage people to lose weight by letting them pay less. In no shape, way or form should the government force their way into people's life style choices. I do find it interesting (maybe it is just me) that smokers have been paying more for years, but the idea of charging somebody who over eats more is 'rude.' Just my 2 cents.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:06:10 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Me? I'd agree for the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:08:25 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:09:19 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:10:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:12:32 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Mocked and being honest are two different thinks are they not? Calling my old boss fat isn't mocking, it is the truth. Calling him dingle berry hostess fat tard is mocking. I haven't mocked anybody in this thread. I simply pointed out people need to got outside (aka exercise more) and eat less. Obesity is an epidemic that is sky rocketing costs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:10:46 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I would agree that this would probably be the best option.

Maybe change what determines a person to be healthy though. I don't want to pay more just because I am slow as hell.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:13:07 AM PST
Soulshine says:
My company started a new thing where everyone has to take a health assessment (which is just an online survey) and get a physical or (free) on-site health screening that checks your cholesterol and bloodwork and all that other fun stuff. If you don't do both things by the end of the year it you have $20 deducted out of your paycheck next year. It doesn't matter what you score, you just have to complete it.

Overall I like the concept. But it used the be just the online thing and they gave you a $50 gift card if you completed it. Obviously I liked that better.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:13:34 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I would honestly make it a combination of scores. Somebody who is slow could easily make up for it by endurance, flexibility or strength. I would make it an overall physical fitness test. Not just one category.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:14:29 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Cargill, (used to work there) let people go to the doctors for a test, those who scored higher got a discount on premiums. I thought it was a brilliant idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:15:08 AM PST
IPhantom says:
Do you feel the same way abt ppl who mock smokers? There tends to be a double standard there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:15:08 AM PST
Ice King says:
I know, I wasn't referring to you. It was more of a general statement. Honesty is fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:20:23 AM PST
Ice King says:
Sure, I wouldn't mock a smoker either, but I don't see the two as being similar.
Eating is a necessary part of life. If you don't do it you will die eventually. Fat people just don't do it right.
Smoking is an entirely optional thing. You can go your while life without smoking a cigarette and be just fine.

But even still, I don't look down on smokers. I do choose not to walk by the smoking area of buildings, but that's just because I don't like the smell, I have no problem with the people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:23:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:25:38 AM PST
No, it's cool to mock smokers. Apparently all overweight people are victims. (This is sarcasm, I mean no offense)

I lean more towards Keller's opinions on this, especially if his numbers are correct. Even those 5% with gland issues can lose weight, I know because my mother has hypothyroidsm and has lost a good bit of weight lately and she's been lazy as hell her whole life. I believe that there should be surcharges on insurance for being obese just as there are for smoking, you're going to cost more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:24:54 AM PST
You can go your whole life without eating 2 medium pizzas in one sitting and be just fine too. Just sayin'

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:25:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:26:10 AM PST
IPhantom says:
I don't think they are as different as you make them sound. Sure, you need to eat to live, but you definitely don't need to eat so much that harms you physically. People smoke for comfort. People over eat / eat junk food for comfort. Both are bad for you.

There are still smoking areas in buildings? Crazy.

I'm not a smoker or anything, used to be in college, but I've just noticed a lot of people seem to be inconsistent in how they treat smokers v. obese. I guess the biggest difference is that smoking does smell horrible and nobody wants to be near that.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:36:31 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I think the point Ice King was making was that smokers who are struggling to quit can (for the most part) keep themselves away from cigarette smoke, use the number of days they've gone without a cigarette as motivation to not ruin the streak, substitute the ritual of smoking with something else entirely, etc. But people struggling with food addiction cannot completely cut out the the thing they are addicted to. Yes they can cut out unhealthy foods but they still have to eat something, and that act of eating is similar to their self-destructive habit in every way except maybe the type of food and quantity.

I'm not throwing a pity party for fat people and I don't even know if food addiction is a legit thing, but I can see the difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:39:00 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Being addicted to overeating is a psychological addiction, but many overweight people are also addicted to sugar, which is very much a physical addiction.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:55:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:56:59 AM PST
IPhantom says:
I get the argument, I just don't personally buy it. I think it's a rationalization for why one group of people making unhealthy choices is somehow not as bad as another group of people making an unhealthy choice. I do believe eating can be an addiction, but probably no worse than addition to nicotine.

In any event, I'm not really trying to debate which is worse, only pointing out that society has tended to treat smokers as scum and the obese as victims. I don't think either group should be insulted, but I do think that there has to be a monetary price for choosing unhealthy habits.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
PS Plus is not required for online features in No Man's Sky 26 9 seconds ago
OT: Democratic National Convention and the rest of the stink coming out of Philadelphia this week 133 19 seconds ago
OT: Hastings Going Out of Business Sale Going on Now/GoHastings Officially Out of Business 5 41 seconds ago
1986 NES review; The D-Pad is "a major handicap". Look at Sega Master System or Atari 7800 instead 25 1 minute ago
Microsoft cuts Xbox One to $250 89 2 minutes ago
Overwatch discussion thread 3085 3 minutes ago
How is Sony going to combat 2 more powerful systems? 32 4 minutes ago
8.2GN reviews Headlander 6 4 minutes ago
OT: Republican National Convention and the rest of the stink coming out of Cleveland this week. 1249 10 minutes ago
The reason why Uncharted 4 flopped 21 14 minutes ago
OT: Obama's half brother is voting for Trump 30 16 minutes ago
Destiny VGF Clan v6.0 6525 21 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  77
Total posts:  544
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions