Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dark Souls DLC thoughts (will contain spoilers)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 203 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 9:33:20 AM PDT
rhu says:
First time I fought one was near the sunlight altar bonfire. I thought to myself, "why is this here?" and later realized that it was probably because when helping a friend with the platinum I lost every single greatsword in the exchange. Massive tears.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 9:33:44 AM PDT
rhu says:
Ok. Thanks for the reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 9:35:23 AM PDT
Balls! I killed Dusk!

I feel like such a horrible person...

Now I need to get there in NG+ and save everyone again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 9:41:00 AM PDT
rhu says:
Good to know. I talked to her once, but didn't get anything interesting from her. I will need to revisit and hear this additional convo.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:00:30 AM PDT
If you're interested in Dark Souls lore I HIGHLY recommend looking up EpicNameBro on Youtube. He's kinda cheesy but does a great job delving into the lore and explaining a lot of stuff.

The lady at Artorias's grave is Ciaran, another of Gwyn's knights I believe.

Gough appears to be in Oolacile as sort of a forward "scout" before they sent Artorias, he was locked in the tower by the residents of Oolacile (can't remember why offhand).

The lady that appears after Manus is in fact Dusk. Elizabeth is the mushroom you talk to at the beginning, she asks you to save Dusk (once again) since you saved Dusk the first time from the crystal golem in the future. This means Elizabeth definitely is more then she seems seeing as she knows you save Dusk in the future as well.

As for the souls/weapons thing I would say game design really. I'd say Sif's gives you the normal versions mainly because Sif's soul is pure still when you kill him. Artorias's soul gives you the Abyss sword since by then his soul had been badly tainted by the Abyss.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:01:50 AM PDT
Gough isn't really blind ;) Check the item description on his helmet ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:05:55 AM PDT
So... he never took it off?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:06:02 AM PDT
Yeah, its really vague, but she mentions she doesnt remember much of anything when she was saved from the Abyss, which is why she doesnt recognize you immediately.

I also find it interesting that Artorias still gets all the credit for driving back the Abyss, when it was actually the player all along.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:07:54 AM PDT
But they had to keep it that way to allow for the remainder of the game to flow. I do like that your character is the silent hero though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:08:15 AM PDT
They never explain it really, but apparently not. Have read some theories where he kept it on as a symbol of pride and just believed he was blind the whole time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:13:38 AM PDT
Have you seen any of ENB's lore videos?

I REALLY got into them. Its definitely interesting how there is definitely a line in the sand between the "gods" aka Gwyn and his knights and humans. I also was sort of blown away when I realized that humanity was in fact the Dark Soul itself that had been broken into TONS of smaller pieces. And you were in essence burning the Dark Soul to keep the bonfires lit.

It's also interesting with all the theories that the player was the Pygmy the whole time. I believe the devs actually came out and said no (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but there's still a lot of rumors that you are one of the Pygmy's descendants then.

And the only true way to go "hollow" is not just dying. Its more about dying and giving up and turning your back on your humanity. Its why there are still tons of NPC's that havent hollowed as they havent actually given up. So when characters like Patches say they expect you to go hollow, its not that they expect you to die, its that they expect you to give up.

I dunno, so many small things about this game just really surprised me when I noticed them. And how some of the gameplay mechanics that most games dont even attempt to explain, they actually explained and made them have really deep meanings.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 10:16:19 AM PDT
Him says:
I bet Sif really becomes sort of a cult hero in video game lore after this DLC.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:19:42 AM PDT
There's multiple theories on humanity, the dark sign, and the fires. Some people believe Frampt was lying about lighting the fires all along and that Kaathe is telling you the truth. Others believe Kaathe is the one lying to the player and that Frampt's way is the true way.

There's a lot of varying paths that can be taken. I think we had a lot of discussions on the lore in the old Dark Souls thread earlier this year. Quite a lot of different thoughts on it.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 10:20:56 AM PDT
Him says:
Do the Kiln Knights drop red tite chunks and slabs?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:21:26 AM PDT
Just chunks. Chunks of every color.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:22:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 10:23:38 AM PDT
Him says:
So there's only 1 red slab per playthrough?

My Chaos Iaito is ready for completion, so I need one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 10:24:11 AM PDT
Yes, unless you're lucky enough to get one to drop from those gold demon things in the Lost Izaleth poison pit around the red slab's chest.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:34:29 AM PDT
Well from what I draw from it, it depends on who you side with. If you side with Gwyn, then keeping the Age of Fire alive at the cost of destroying humanity is the "right" choice. The other side is placing everything on humanity and hoping it doesnt "consume" them and destroy everything.

It honestly is almost a choice between two evils, on one side you keep the fires lit for a short time (but they will eventually fully die), or you take the gamble, let the fires die and hope that things don't end up like they did in Oolacile.

At first glance the lighting the bonfire seems like the "good" ending, but in the lore its not so great either.

Honestly I think its more straight-forward in that neither serpent is lying, they both believe in their way. One is for the Age of Fire to continue, despite the costs, and the other is for the Age of Darkness/Humanity to begin, despite the risks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:37:20 AM PDT
Lesser of two evils indeed. When you really sit and think about it neither choice seems very appealing.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:43:17 AM PDT
Him says:
I'm so happy my no voter is back. I was afraid Sandy had claimed another victim.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:45:24 AM PDT
Well, I gave you some upvotes ;P

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:58:13 AM PDT
Gomb says:
I tried PvP-ing with the new spells for the first time last night and I can now say that they are, in fact, ridiculously overpowered. The pursuers worked well in Darkroot Garden, but were about useless in the Depths because of all the walls and corners. They don't do a lot of damage if any at all, but they force the opponent to roll at a time where he may not want to roll and sets him up for the second spell, dark beads. Dark beads are the new wrath of god, they give you six casts for 1 attunement slot and basically just result in a free win. With just 14 dexterity, the cast time is a fraction of a second and if cast up close with the tin crystal catalyst they result in one hit kills or at least stunning the target. If you combine them with a 55-76 poise armor set like I was doing, you basically just walk up to someone and press L1 and they die with no chance to dodge the spread or backstab you.... what was From thinking on this one?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 12:25:42 PM PDT
One thing I havent tested but have heard, with Pursuers if the caster is hit the spell vanishes. Havent tried it yet, but I've heard a good counter is just to keep throwing knives on you, if they cast pursuers toss out a throwing knife and it should get rid of the spell.

Though I agree with you, Dark Beads is totally overpowered.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 9:39:39 PM PDT
So finally finished the DLC on NG. Sanctuary Guardian wasn't difficult at all...pyromancy all the way. Artorias did give some trouble but was manageable. Getting Kalameet's tail was a royal pain...I must have died at least 5-6 times just trying to get the tail. Manus gave me a lot of trouble...must have died about 10 times to him and 3 times in a row he was less than 1 hit away from death when he did his OHKO magic attack. Sif was almost useless during the fight. I noticed several times that he would just stand in a corner and let Manus deal with me. Sometimes I would manage to deflect Manus' attention to Sif which would help me in healing.

So, I got the tite slab, white tite slab, dark bead, dark fog, black flame, dark orb. Got some of the parts of the guardian set (not sure I got all of them...gotta check that). Got Ciaran's set and the tracers. Am I missing anything?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 3:46:50 AM PDT
Guardian's weapon, Gough's set, Gough's Greatbow, pitchfork, Artorias' armor, trading Manus' soul to Snuggly for a spell or making his catalyst, aaaand I think that's about it.

Oh, Chester's set.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  203
Initial post:  Oct 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions