Oblivion Vs. Skyrim

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:21:46 AM PST
Iso says:
Dark Souls.

Next. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:47:57 AM PST
As much as I love the Shat, Alec Baldwin is a MUCH better actor than him.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:47:12 AM PST
I think Alec Baldwin is the new William Shatner.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:45:17 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Skyrim, never could really get into Oblivion though I tried about 4 times.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:36:13 AM PST
That Patrick Stewart intro from Oblivion is worth starting the game over just to watch, IMO. Speaking of these guys, have you seen "The Captains" where Shatner interviews all the actors that played the Enterprise captains? That man is nuts, but he is freaking entertaining.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:34:18 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
They should have done a Shatner intro like they had a Stewart intro in Oblivion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:33:17 AM PST
I don't know specifically what part you're talking about, but I'm picturing the dude that talks to you in the cart being voiced by Shatner.

"What about you. . . horse thief? What village. . . are you from? A Nord's. . . last thought. . . should be of home."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:31:32 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I think the only possible thing that would have put Skyrim over Oblivion is if William Shanter did the intro to Skyrim.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:29:39 AM PST
Man, this is so tough, but I think I have to give it to Oblivion. Even though the animations are laughable and the horrible scaling enemies are a PITA, it just has some. . .thing that draws me in more. Skyrim made some great improvements, and I LOVE that game, but it just doesn't hook me in like Oblivion did. Nothing will ever compare to booting up Oblivion with that intro music and stopping for the first time realizing that the beautiful, haunting background melody would be with you anywhere you go. And you can go anywhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:52:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 5:53:07 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
It was 83 hours. My first Dark Souls run was 85 hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:47:40 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
I didn't enjoy Archery was what I meant. I felt they really revamped it for Skyrim.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:46:45 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
It's mainly because you are just weird. :P

I still don't see how you 100% everything in skyrim in "65 hours".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:45:20 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Oblivion is one of my favorite games of this generation; it's one of my favorite games of all time, and it's easily the game that I have put the most hours into this generation. I love Oblivion. Each trip to Cyrodill is fascinating and fun, and I never get bored of the game. I don't even remember the last time I fast traveled while playing the game because I love the journey so much. After every time I beat Oblivion, if I'm not just meandering around, I will start a new character over and play again.

I beat Skyrim; I did all that I could do in Skyrim, but I never felt that urge to replay it. I beat it last November, and I got it again on the PS3 this year, but after about 2 hours, I was over it and I wanted to play Oblivion again. Skyrim is a great game, but I don't have that desire to replay it over and over again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:44:58 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Oblivion was all about archery too. If your sneak skill was masked, had the gray fox mask, you were unstoppable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:40:58 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
Skyrim. One word, Archery. If you want more than that, I'll go on to say that the new engine, while similar, makes many improvements to the base gameplay. Also, dragons and shouts. I love going through the world Fus-ro-dah-ing everything in sight. The DLC has also been good so far.

As far as missions go, I'd say both games are about equal on that front. The Dark Brotherhood and Theives Guild questlines are fantastic, and the main quests are very enjoyable. The highlight, for me would be the Daedric quests in both games. Fun and rewarding. Some of the best weapons/armor in the game is from those quests.

Where Skyrim trumps Oblivion is the advances made to skills. I touched on Archery earlier, which was almost non-existant in Oblivion, to me. Smithing was completely overhauled, with excellent results. Love being able to forge armor and weapons. I barely used Enchanting in Oblivion, but it was so good in this game that I find myself using everytime I play. The way you advance and gain perks is genious as well. They couldn't have done better in that regard.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:22:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 5:25:39 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Oblivion = 1000+ hours in 5-6 years
Skyrim = 250 hours or so now in 1 year

I like Skyrim more basically because everything is much more polished and a better experience. They fixed all the negativity that came from Oblivion and Fallout and made Skyrim almost perfect.

With the Vampires, turning into a Werewolf, Dragons, all caves/forts/dungeons/mines all look different, each cities quests, the lore, make Skyrim a much more in depth game imo. In Oblivion, I felt each city didn't really come to life besides the Imperial City. In Skyrim; each city has it's own appeal. Markarth has the Drwarven ruins missions, Riften has thieves guild, Dawnstar has the Daedra quests, Whiterun is the Dragon capital, etc etc.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:19:10 AM PST
waxc3 says:
i love XP and free roaming games like this!!! but Skyrim has my least favorite leveling system EVER. otherwise i give skyrim the edge.
overall i put more hours into Oblivion though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 2:33:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 2:35:36 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Magnesium sulfate? Joking. Seriously, those upgrades are sweet, and Morrowind is incomparable, with the sole exception of Baldurs Gate IMO. So much to do, such a cool story, neat environments.

ed: Plus, you can fly in Morrowind, and the Telvanni home is pretty awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 2:30:35 PM PST
Nothing measures up to Morrowind. If you can play it with the MGSO 3, then get to it and try to tell me that any other in the series stands close.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 2:22:49 PM PST
FOGE says:
Skyrim. Didn't even think it was debatable

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 2:21:00 PM PST
AJF says:
Well the first elder scrolls game I played was oblivion, so I don't know how it measures up to morrowind., but I felt that Skyrim Didn't change that much in the sequel.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:48:28 PM PST
For me it's Oblivion. I think what it is more then anything is Oblivion was my first real journey into The Elder Scrolls universe, I dabble a little bit in Morrowind, but never truly played it.

I really enjoyed Skyrim and it is one of the best RPG's this generation, but it didn't draw me in like Oblivion did.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:17:41 PM PST
Skyrim was Pretty, had dragons but really limited Vampires (pre DLC)
Oblivion made vampires really powerful, was less buggy, and for me is the experience
of all gaming experiences. skyrim just didn't pull me in as much, I liked it don't get me wrong. the tech issues ruined the game for me though so I'd Definately choose Oblivion Every Time.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:10:29 PM PST
I'd vote Skyrim, I haven't found any RPG that has beaten it

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:08:52 PM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
Skyrim. It's newer.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions