Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

UK Press Pins Blame For Sandy Hook Massacre On Video Games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:15:46 AM PST
This.

Not all violence (or Mature games) is created equal.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:37:47 AM PST
That's more like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:36:32 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I'm lucky. My dad always knew what I was playing when I was little - not because he was worried about negative influences, just because he really likes video games. Your kids are lucky too, because you're going to want to know what games they're interested in, and not only from a "let me screen this for content first" perspective. My dad's in his early sixties now and we still trade video games back and forth. They are almost exclusively "violent" games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:19:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:20:11 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Depends on the game for me. If my kids were 10 years old and wanted to play Halo, I wouldn't care. For starters the story is light, there isn't blood and it features shooting aliens. If my kids wanted to play God of War, that would be a negative. Not only does GoW have massive amounts of blood, stomping on heads and ripping heads off; the story is also pretty darn adult. Not too mention the 3-sums in every game. A 10 year old, IMHO, really doesn't need to be seeing that kind of stuff. If my kids wanted a mature rated game I wasn't familar with, I wouldn't make a judgement based on rating. I wouldn't make a judgement based on reviews. I'd rent the game, put 3-4 hours into myself and make an informed decision. Though as you probably have guessed I am a huge advocate for real parents, not sideline/part-time parents. Today I do believe too many parents just don't put forth the effort, which is the real reason our society has problems. Guns, videogames, movies and music aren't the real problem. The lack of parenting is. Just my 2 cents, hopefully I haven't offended anybody. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:49:30 AM PST
They posted the same story yesterday I believe :)

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:47:54 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I don't have kids, but I still like to believe that almost any game can be played by minors with the proper supervision. Supervision isn't even the right word. I mean - play it with them. Watch them play. Be there to remind them that you still expect them to not use certain languange, make sure they easily see the distinction between real and fantasy violence, mature scenarios, etc. Make it so the fun is in playing the game, not in the taboo of getting to see dead soldiers or hear curse words.

But again, I don't have a kid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:43:46 AM PST
In terms of "adult material kept away from minors," video games actually have the best track record.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:42:58 AM PST
They are supposed to, but are not legally bound to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:42:28 AM PST
I've been carded before. Doesn't bother me at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:41:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 8:44:14 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Sure but not everybody is as mentally stable as your genome is. Plus games have become far more realistic graphically as have movies. I don't believe the comparision is appropriate. In fact if you bothered to read previous posts you will see I have addressed the changes in gaming over time. GTA III looks nothing like GTA IV. Same goes for sound. It isn't just the raw graphics either, but the animation, frame rate, physics, etc. Night and day my friend. Gaming isn't what it used to be. :)

At the end of the day a federal mandate for carding doesn't seem like too much to ask. I am certainly against censorship, given how fantastically awesome Dead Space is. Those who can handle adult material absolutely should have the freedom to endulge as much as they want too. Parental locks on consoles are also much appreciated, IMHO. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:41:41 AM PST
What about The Lancet?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:12:25 AM PST
What, nothing from the Daily Fail?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:05:48 AM PST
No tv and no beer?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:03:44 AM PST
jtshiel says:
Urge to kill:
rising

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:02:51 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
That's because "the only good bug, is a dead bug!"

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:56:19 AM PST
Junkiiiii says:
This article is so idiotic it isn't even worth discussing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:52:29 AM PST
FOGE says:
I dont know man. My first R rated movie was Starship Troopers and as a result, Ive committed mass murder against bugs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:50:58 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
My brothers and I played Mortal Kombat on Genesis with blood, Grand Theft Auto, and a lot of other violent games and were watching rated R movies since we were 10, and we didn't shoot up any public places.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:44:43 AM PST
Lucanus says:
At the end of the day parents just need to be actual parents. Not part time half interested parents. I will without a doubt put parental locks on my children's videogames. I believe Nintendo even has a timer on theirs, it can only be played so much within a given period of time. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:31:33 AM PST
Made going to the dentist all the more... heart wrenching.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:22:59 AM PST
Soulshine says:
That dentist-drill sound was the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:20:38 AM PST
I loved the Cerebral Bore.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:19:25 AM PST
Funny that they blame CoD when the shooter was a fan of StarCraft.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:19:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 7:20:11 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I can definitely understand a shift in opinion along with a boost in the detailed realism in games. When I was young I was playing "violent" games, that seemed like super graphics at the time but really everything fell on the more cartoony side. The Cerebral Bore in Turok sure is violent, but it was really just a fun thing for a kid to do. Also, we were playing with friends in the same room - and I usually was playing with my dad, or we were watching each other play video games. It just had a different vibe than a kid today playing online MP for hours alone in his bedroom.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:16:19 AM PST
http://tinyurl.com/4z297ok
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions