Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Top 10 Reasons to buy a Wii-U

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 23, 2012 12:27:51 PM PST
IMO if they get Netflix and DVR support for the TVii app it might make the system more apealing for the mass public.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:51:58 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:24:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 2:27:20 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Except that Duke Nukem was developed by 20 million different studios. As a popular saying in my country goes: "Too many hands in the pot spoils the food". As for Zelda taking a long time to be announced or released, three facts puts the mind at ease:

#1 It's Nintendo.
#2 It's one of Nintendo's prime first party properties.
#3 When has something taking a long time coming from Nintendo, ever been a bad thing?

Bonus fact: Shigeru Miyamoto is directly involved. Again, can't be a bad thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:17:31 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:10 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:38:52 AM PST
Homer McDuff says:
TVii is up and running, to go with my point 9. It's pretty neat - pick your favorite shows, and it tells you when they're airing, which episodes, and whether they're on Amazon or whatever. You can also share specific clips and comment about them on Miiverse, Facebook or Twitter. They're still working on other improvements, like integrating Netflix into this, but it's already something different.

Fanboyism is an interesting phenomenon, particularly the irrational variety, but that's not what this list is. These are more or less objectively true things you can look at and see how much the unique features of the Wii U appeal to you (I'm not saying there are no grey areas, or that opinions may not differ on some things).

If you are often with a group of 5 or more, and 5 people rather than 4 playing at a time means less waiting around, that's a big mark in Wii U's favor. This is a factual statement. If you often want to play while other people are watching TV, you can play on the GamePad. Fact, and this may be a big deal for some people. Nintendo's main franchises are hugely appealing to a lot of people, and they are the no. 1 reason to own this system. This is a little subjective, but most people clearly agree. And so on. On the flip side, if you're obsessed with technical specs, or extremely attached to games not available here like Halo, Gears of War, and God of War - the Wii U might not be the best choice for you.

When the new PS and Xbox systems come out I don't intend to buy them, because I only want one console (unless one of them is so overwhelmingly good I would sell the Wii U and get it). However, I will check them out and try to give a fair evaluation. Some people are clearing not doing that for the Wii U.

By the way, info is slowly starting to come out on the upcoming Wii U Zelda, which will apparently have the biggest budget and development team in company history http://www.gamespot.com/news/zelda-for-wii-u-in-2014-report-6394633 and http://www.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-talks-zelda-wii-u-6400760

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:44:22 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
True

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:35:12 AM PST
True, but the first is 80's gold!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:05:37 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Well, 2 and 3 aren't really defensible.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:03:52 AM PST
Hey, you're not bashing Robocop are you?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:01:19 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Easy there Robocop!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:00:23 AM PST
I'd buy that for a dollar!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:58:42 AM PST
I've heard rumors of Nintendo puting games like WindWaker in HD and selling them via eshop on the U, just a rumor though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:41:05 AM PST
I'll give you tree fiddy.

Love, Flores.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:39:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 6:47:02 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Relevant links:
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/45669/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/4573/the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess/ (numbers from the Wii version only)

@D_Strasse
I don't think so, considering TP also required the Wii remote to play, no support for GC controller or classic controller whatsoever. And the motion controls in that game were as barebone as it can get. It just had a broader appeal because IT IS Zelda, it felt like a spiritual successor of OOT and MM. When people look at Skyward Sword in the stores (I know I have), they see Peter Pan mixed with Robin Hood with Zelda's name on it.

@WiistationUbox
You forgot: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, that's like 4 cartoony games in the last 5 releases.

Also, damn, I just remembered SS was a very expensive game for Nintendo. I guess they haven't made a good profit with it.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:38:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 6:39:08 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
FOR SALE:
7,000 Wii U game consoles. Will sell as a lot or individually. These are like new units, fresh off the....back shelf.
Contact me for more info.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:35:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 6:39:00 AM PST
Keller says:
Fair point. :)

Mayo, I want Nintendo to switch back and forth with Zelda. Wind Waker was light hearted, Twilight was darker. SS was light hearted so now it is time for dark again. WW is fantastic, but switching back and forth makes sense to me. I also think Nintendo really should give major thought to remaking N64/GC games like Capcom did with SFII. I would think millions of people would rebuy Ocarina, Mario 64, Majora, Wind Waker, SS, Galaxy, etc with top notch ps3 like graphics in 1080p. I certainly would. It strikes me a quick way to make the library fill out. I can only hope. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:32:01 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I think darker is the way to go too. You are a dungeon crawler, a little more atmosphere doesn't hurt.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:30:51 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Do you think it had anything to do with the more controversial control scheme though?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:29:54 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
There are people in the middle ground, people who like the Nintendo franchises but don't need them NAO, guys like me.

I'll give the Wii U that second look when the library fills out (assuming it does) and see what's going on with the system then.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:24:10 AM PST
Keller says:
If I didn't want to play Mario, Zelda and Metroid I wouldn't give a Nintendo console a first look, muchless a second. Not being a huge Nintendo fan and buying a U would be like hating Apple operating systems and buying an iMac. It just doesn't make sense.

As for Zelda, I love SS and WW, but I hope the next Zelda is a bit darker like Twilight. Not sure why, I just want somethign darker. :)

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:23:47 AM PST
Honestly I was mad at Nintendo with the artwork behind WW and SS, but completely loved them. Either way the next zelda on both systems will be amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:23:26 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Yeah, same thoughts too. I just hope the folks at Nintendo realize how Zelda cannot sustain itself with a childish style. SS has sold less copies than TP in the same time period, even when the Wii install base was much higher than before.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:20:51 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Thanks.

And like I said, I get that a LOT of people have a deep affection for Nintendo franchise games and a large part of the gaming experience for them. These people should get a Wii U. For people that aren't so attached to these franchises, I really think waiting is the best course for now, and that's not to say I think they should never get one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:20:04 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
The problem is Link is already bordering on looking like Tinkerbell. And there is no reason for it, Zelda is not as popular with todays younger gamers as it is with legacy fans of the IP, i would like it to mature a little to reflect the times...Not asking for it to look like Gears or Final Fantasy either...but there is lots of directions you can go with Fantasy...and what better IP to make wonderful use of some higher production values now that its not handcuffed to 12yr old hardware?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:16:38 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Shhh, your stirring the pot.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions