Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Would you like to help create a new, original MMO?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 12:36:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 12:36:59 AM PST
S. Hall says:
I am looking for the following types of people to be a part of a new project that will create an original MMO from the ground up. This project was only put into motion a couple of days ago and it will be approximately a 2-4 year project. Right now we are simply at the brainstorming stage, setting up the ground foundation for what should be implemented into the game. Once this is done a kickstarter/funding campaign will begin to raise the funds to build the game itself as well as pay the people who help develop it. This is largely a community based project.

We need the following:

Creative People to help provide Ideas and Suggestions (Volunteer/Paid/Credited depending on how much effort you put in)
Programmers(C++) (Paid/Credited)
Graphic Designers, Artists (Paid/Credited)
Animators (Paid/Credited)
Forum Moderators (Volunteer)
Promotion (Volunteer/Paid/Credited depending on effort, audience reached, ect.)

I will be composing the soundtrack as well as the sound fx. We have also hired a published writer to do the majority of the storyline/script already.

What type of MMO is this you ask? Imagine The Sims 3 meets World of Warcraft. A massively multiplayer life sim with an RPG aspect to it. This is the easiest way to put it. You can view a list of current ideas here: http://mmothinktank.forumotion.com/t2-compilation-of-possible-ideas-so-far and now that the forums have been finished and opened to the public you are welcome to register and start providing your own ideas and suggestions/discussions. Everyone is welcome!

I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Negative posts will be ignored, but I do appreciate you taking the time to bump my topic. Thanks Everyone!

I can be contacted here, on the forums, or via the following:

Email: codyjm123@gmail.com
AIM: codyjm123@gmail.com

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 12:39:40 AM PST
Monthly subscription or free-to-play with microtransactions?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 12:52:57 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2013 7:28:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:54:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 1:58:49 AM PST
The best part about MMORPG is races and classes.

Hmmm...using high school as background like Persona. Having different classes like the "Bully." Races, well, you already know. Some are even mixed so traits carry. Yes, genetic traits pass down. Like Generations of Doom, call it Generations of Curse.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:41:47 AM PST
Nicos says:
can i play as a bard in this game

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:59:24 AM PST
S. Hall says:
I haven't figured out if it will be subscription based or free to play with microtransactions, it really depends on how much it will cost us monthly for servers/upkeep/ect. Right now we are just beginning to iron out the details of what actually will be a part of the game. You guys are welcome to join up at the forums (www.mmothinktank.forumotion.com) and get creative with us. We'd love to hear the kind of ideas you guys have.

Dinosaurs, probably not. However I figure it will be something very similar, more original. I will be getting with our writer very soon to begin working on the storyline. Its going to be set in the current time period.

Classes/Races have yet to be determined. We are open to suggestions though and if it ends up being something we agree on it may very well make it into the game. Wouldn't you like to be able to say, "hey! I was the one who suggested this!"

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:03:06 AM PST
Can we play as bard dinosaurs?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:07:56 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2013 7:28:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:15:36 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
"The best part about MMORPG is races"

You always struck me as a NASCAR fan...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:25:20 AM PST
S. Hall says:
Bard dinosaurs are definitely going in. How do they wield the instruments?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:30:33 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
For inspiration

Dinosaurs for Hire - Sega Genesis

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:35:55 AM PST
Nicos says:
very carefully

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:40:16 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
T-Rex has perfect violin arms.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:14:30 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Only if he's playing the world's tiniest violin.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:13:59 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:52 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:22:43 AM PST
Have you ever checked out "Start Ups Silicon Valley" on Bravo TV...You should---for inspiration!!!...I hope that you do well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYLk5Tq3nB0

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:58:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 6:59:08 AM PST
klopas says:
This seems similar to Ultima Online. You could place your house, decorate it, lock down a bunch of shiny trinkets in areas of your house where people could see it from the outside, but couldn't access it - open world, non-instanced where real estate is a huge factor. If it's not instanced, you must devise a way to ensure there's enough space for people to place their houses in viable areas. When a spot is taken, it's no longer available for anybody else. Is that a good thing? While it would make individuals feel unique, the problem is that the first come first serve model means that some will have to live in less desirable locations. Most people don't want to have a house in an area far from civilization or valuable resources. Some areas would be more valuable than others and would come at a premium price. Microtransactions could come in the form of real estate and home decor.

I'm not a fan of the Sims, and this gives off a Second Life vibe, a game that I never played, but have read about. Personally, I'd like to see a MMO similar to the Fallout series, but in the modern or future day. Perhaps a pre-World War 3 setting, high tension between world powers (factions), nukes are pointed at one another, with those in power having itchy trigger fingers. Political intrigue, espionage, covert ops, and of course hippies who want to give peace a chance. Build an underground bunker and stockpile resources in preparation for a potential nuclear war. I could go on, but this is probably not suitable for your purposes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:12:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 3:12:44 PM PST
S. Hall says:
That actually is quite suitable. Second Life has no purpose or drive to keep a player coming back or going towards achieving something great. I am gearing more towards something between fallout/wow/the sims because I figure if the time period is set in our current time, we'll have to have guns....and lots of them.

The housing actually will be instanced, similar to the sims online, and probably the only thing that will be. Dungeons will not be instanced.

I'd actually like to speak with you further if you are interested in helping out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:17:48 PM PST
Harmicky says:
I feel like you should probably have a business plan put together before you're recruiting "creative people," forum moderators, promoters, etc. Whenever you create any product or service, the first thing you do is put together a basic business model that dictates the structure. The fact that you don't have this together makes it hard for me to take this very seriously.

My advice is to get together with some savvy business people with experience in the field and hammer out a solid business model that will structure how you move forward. Creatives and others should come after that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:22:02 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
The type of game sounds interesting. What is the basic story behind the setting and what is going on in the game?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:30:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 3:30:34 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
Can you give any background on yourself? name, skills, etc?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:32:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 3:32:47 PM PST
Harmicky says:
No offense, and I understand your reason for asking this, but I think if I were him/her, I'd be a bit reticent about giving my personal info to someone called laketroll. ;)

Edit: pesky grammar errors.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:37:28 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
I want him to edit the op with those details, not give to me personally, an MMO is a big project and I want to know if this guy is 12 years old or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:39:06 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Yes indeed. I have many doubts about this fellow myself (see my post above). I was just making a joke about your name. Nothing to be taken seriously.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:40:04 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
I know ;d
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions