Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2013 5:32:30 AM PST
Holy crap. Pictures at the link.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gallinipper-mosquitoes-florida-2013-3

Quarter-Sized Mosquitoes Really Exist
Dina Spector | Mar. 6, 2013, 2:28 PM | 2,964 | 2

University of Florida
Entomologist Phil Kaufman shows the size difference between the invasive Asian tiger mosquito, right, and the native species Psorophora ciliata, sometimes called the gallinipper.
If you dislike mosquitoes, you'll really have daggers for the gallinipper - a giant mosquito that is about 20 times the size of a regular mosquito. It's big enough to cover a quarter.
The insect lives in low-lying areas that overflow with water. They are native to the eastern half of North America, but come out in large numbers when an area is hit by heavy rain, such as in a tropical storm or hurricane.
Florida was invaded by the gallinipper last summer after Tropical Storm Debbie. The case is likely to be the same this year, University of Florida entomologist Phil Kaufman said in a statement.
The whopper of a bug has an equally big bite, which can really hurt when its mouth pierces the skin, says Kaufman. As with other mosquitoes, only the females bite and feed on blood.
The female gallinipper lays her eggs in soil, in areas that are prone to flooding. The eggs can hang out for several years if they stay dry. The eggs hatch when they get wet caused by heavy rains.
Fortunately, the gallinipper is not known to carry diseases. They can be warded off with bug spray, although due their size, the spray may not be as effective as it is with a smaller biting mosquito.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/gallinipper-mosquitoes-florida-2013-3#ixzz2MxGTQzkS

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:33:10 AM PST
FOGE says:
Yeah, this is exactly what I want to read the day before I drive down to Alabama.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 5:34:51 AM PST
pyroguy says:
I smell another sci-fi/horror movie in the works

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:36:21 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Why would anyone willingly go to Alabama?

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 5:40:33 AM PST
klopas says:
This kind of scares me. Tiny mosquitos have been my lifelong arch-nemesis and continue to attack me without provocation on nice summer days. I can only imagine the amount of flailing I'd have to do to ward off these beasts.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:42:15 AM PST
FOGE says:
https://www.google.com/search?q=orange+beach+alabama&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=rHe&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=o-o5UZ_5MKO92gWcjICgDA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1910&bih=875#imgrc=_

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 5:42:21 AM PST
and this is why i love VT. too cold up here for these fellas.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 5:45:05 AM PST
This is the stuff of nightmares...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:50:58 AM PST
Gallinippers are wimps compared to black flies in New England.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:52:50 AM PST
We used to get those where I grew up as well. Those things were enormous.

When Cicadas were everywhere a few years ago someone put hundreds of them in a garbage bag and opened them up in our highschool....

That was an interesting day...

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 5:55:01 AM PST
Eh, we had bigger mosquitoes here in Houston. I remember when I played baseball we would always play next to these swamps out in area surrounding Houston. Let's just say that those mosquitoes had shadows. They were huge.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:56:13 AM PST
FOGE says:
All mosquitoes have shadows.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:56:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 5:58:00 AM PST
The thing about gallinippers is that they only have a needle to suck your blood, which is annoying, but nothing compared to black flies.

Black flies have meat shredders for a face and they swarm. I remember two years ago I was in the backyard cutting up a downed tree, and after about two hours of being out there, I was literally a bloody mess.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:00:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 6:00:26 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Stories like that make me want to move to Alaska. I hate insects.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:01:39 AM PST
Yes FOGE. I didn't say this mosquito was the only one with a shadow. I am just saying - a normal small mosquito you can't look at the ground and see it's shadow usually. These mosquitoes you could, it was creepy.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:04:56 AM PST
I for one welcome our new giant mosquito overlords.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:05:08 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Ew, thank god those things aren't in UT.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:06:00 AM PST
But you have to deal with Mormons.

Equal trade off.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:08:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 6:08:49 AM PST
FOGE says:
Thank God those mormons arent in Indiana ;)

edit: Ninjad by JJ

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:10:54 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Those are pretty easy swat away with a newspaper though. I can just grab a guy's hand as well and it will instantly repel an entire church of people.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:12:18 AM PST
Lol, I like how you say it's easy to swat away Mormons with the newspaper but have no indication of it being for the mosquitoes.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:12:36 AM PST
JRN says:
I live in Florida And I'm now scared.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:12:40 AM PST
I'd like to remind them that gamers could be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their above ground bloodmaking plantations.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:15:31 AM PST
FOGE says:
I think you guys are more scared of these mosquitos than the Nuclear threat from Lil Kim.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:16:35 AM PST
I would never come out of my house if I saw these things.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions