Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I have a theory about the N64

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 17, 2013 9:30:50 AM PST
If it had used CD's instead of cartridges, then it would have beaten the PS1 in sales as it would have had the 3rd party games the PS1 got IN ADDITION TO the classics made by Nintendo and Rare.

Just a theory

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 9:32:05 AM PST
Um, no.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 9:39:08 AM PST
What?

If the N64 used CD's, then it would have gotten:
FF7
FF8
FF9
Symphony of the Night
Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid
The Silent Hill games
Mega Man 8
Mega Man X4
Mega Man X5
Mega Man X6
Mega Man Legends 2

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 9:43:07 AM PST
Gameresq says:
I have a theory that N64 was the best console ever, until Dreamcast

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 9:43:58 AM PST
1#Fetish says:
How is this a "theory"?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 9:59:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2013 9:59:59 AM PST
neu Tron says:
Not necessarily. Square wasn't working with Nintendo at all during that era, IIRC. And the Square RPG library is the main reason Playstation is the superior console.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 10:10:12 AM PST
They didn't work with Nintendo during that era because the N64 used cartridges, which is why FF7 jumped ship to the PS1.

I love FF7, but I prefer the SNES Square RPG library.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 10:26:37 AM PST
Hey says:
Actually, what would've helped is simply better third party support. I remember all of that hype for the Ultra 64 "Dream Team" of developers, which was supposedly an exclusive group that Nintendo allowed to develop for the console. I'd be willing to wager those were the only companies Nintendo could get to develop on their console, versus them getting exclusive treatment.

It's the same story for Nintendo every single generation at this point. Third-party support is not strong enough. It's as simple as that.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 10:50:05 AM PST
Had the N64 had the storage capacity for FF7, then I think that might have opened many more doors for them. It's a shame they couldn't accomodate Square at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 10:55:06 AM PST
user22 says:
N64 + CD - cartridges > PS1 ?

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 11:19:45 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I have a theory. I owned both a N64 and ps1.... And found both to be excellent.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 11:23:59 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
God, with the hideous graphics on the N64 just think about how much more ugly FF7 would have been.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 11:34:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2013 11:35:38 AM PST
Lucanus says:
*looks at banjo and final fansasy 7*

Huh? The N64 was quite a bit more graphic than the ps1. Music on the other hand was terrible in comparison.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 11:39:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2013 11:40:00 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
The N64 was the more technically impressive machine, but no one ever seemed to really take good advantage of that. The textures were almost always murky. Also the above comment of mine is an additional remark about how ugly FF7 is.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 11:41:51 AM PST
Zak Iarih says:
Could've would've should've

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 11:47:51 AM PST
Futzbucket says:
Well, Nintendo originally hired Sony to make their new console, and Sony presented them with what we now know as the PS1. Nintendo thought it was stupid, and dropped Sony to make the N64 themselves. Sony was so confident in their product, that they produced it themselves.

The N64 is a darn fine console, but the PS1, with Sony's backing, was brave enough to offer a line of mature games. Sony also made it much easier for outside producers to work with Sony in the production of their product, so Sony was able to offer more games for mature gamers. Also, discs are much more cheaper to produce than cartridges, and Sony used the money saved to further promote their product.

Nintendo, in a way, created the PS1, which was the worst thing it could have done. Up until then, Nintendo dominated the console market.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 11:49:54 AM PST
Skull Kid  says:
if i recall right final fantasy 7 used certain effects in game that hadn't been used at the time, and no one ever thought as it as an ugly game.Also; Sony and Nintendo were going to work as one but they both decided to part ways from a business perspective it was logical.Before their separation they were working as one to create a disc based console which later became the super nes. Sony stuck to their idea and later on created the PS1.i enjoyed the PS1 a lot more than the N64.The N64 lacked the games that i wanted, while the PS1 introduced games like RE and was also strong enough to emulate premium arcade games very early in its life cycle.Being an advid RPG gamer the PS1 delivered big time, and in my opinion was the better platform of that time by far.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 11:53:01 AM PST
Joshua C says:
Even had they switched to a CD format (which was a planned addon, mind you), there's no guarantee that they would have received the third party support necessary to topple the PS1. Case in point, N64 HAD Mega Man games (and other titles from Capcom), the reason they didn't get X4 and 8 was unrelated to the storage medium. The system architecture itself was notoriously difficult to effectively program, and the memory limitations for textures was ridiculous. Bear in mind that the Saturn was superior to the Playstation in some respects (especially for 2D gaming), and was also a CD based console, yet lost third party support because it was also much more difficult to program in. The PS1, by comparison, was far easier to program for than either system.

Even if they did use CDs from the start, they also would have had to reprogram the way the system actually handles and processes data to make it more appealing to third parties. If I can make a game for less on one console than another and still get a solid install base, I'm going for the cheaper option to maximize my profits.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 11:53:07 AM PST
1#Fetish says:
A theory is a retestable result not a math equation.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 11:53:12 AM PST
CDs by themselves weren't the problem. It would have also needed a bit more memory.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 11:55:10 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Fair point. :)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 11:56:29 AM PST
DVvM says:
Wasn't the successor to the SNES supposed to be a CD-based system, which Nintendo worked on in partnership with Sony, and then Nintendo just decided not to do the whole CD things and left Sony in the lurch in a manner considered disrespectful by Sony executives, which lead to Sony entering into the video game business in the first place?

It's funny how the most big players in the industry seem to cycle between underdog and tyrant.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 11:58:42 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
At the time people didn't think it was ugly, but it belongs to an elite class of games from that era that has graphically aged worse than almost any other games.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 11:59:44 AM PST
It was more of an add-on than a successor.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 12:03:57 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, conceivably if the SNES-CD achieved successes unheard of with the Sega CD, then we probably would have gotten a disc-based SNES successor.

But yeah, you're right, the specific device that Nintendo had Sony come out in public to talk about, and then cancelled behind Sony's back, was an add-on.

For all the scrappy underdog status accorded to Nintendo these days, in their heyday they were pretty tyrannical. Weren't third party publishers denied the right to publish an NES game (which Nintendo controlled as they controlled the production of cartridge parts) if they published on any non-Nintendo console?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Feb 17, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions