Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Outdoor Deals on bgg
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: The official Game of Thrones full spoiler thread for people who actually read all the books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 60 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2013 11:28:22 AM PST
AndrewA says:
I don't really care if anyone responds or not, I just want to scream red wedding and say that Bran turning into a tree in the North is a really stupid storyline. Oh, and the Greyjoys are by far the most boring family. The Dorne people are a close second, but they still have almost no chapters after five books.

Lastly, Brienne wandering around the plains looking for Sansa was just an awful storyline, especially since thanks to Martin, we already knew where Sansa was and that she was no where close to finding her. I really hope Cat killed her.

Unpopular Opinion: Jaime is the best character in the series so far.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:30:24 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 13, 2013 1:21:06 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:30:32 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
lol, I have loved all the books equally. It seems like they might not be worth your time anymore.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:31:24 AM PST
I read 3/4 of the first book, that was enough for me.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:32:06 AM PST
Coffee says:
Nah, you haven't seen the last of Brienne. Pretty sure the word she choked out while being hung was "sword." So far I think that story arch is one of the best in the book -- the redemption of the Kingslayer. Ultimately it'll come down to Brienne having to kill him, which is sort of tragic because he HAS turned himself around since losing his hand.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:33:24 AM PST
I'm more looking forward to Dany kicking some @$$ this season with the slavers... her play with giving up one of her dragons in exchange for the mercenary companies was awesome.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:34:16 AM PST
I love the Red Wedding. That's probably my favorite part of the series and what it does to Catelyn's character is pretty intense. The Greyjoys are pretty bleak people, so I agree with you (I like to imagine they worship Cthulu for kicks).

I know it's a popular opinion, but I'm a Tyrion fan. Jaime gets pretty cool after having his hand severed though.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:34:30 AM PST
AndrewA says:
I'm curious how he's going to survive that one. I'd be very surprised if that's how his storyline ends.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:36:59 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
I love the Arya Stark storyline, I have no idea where it is going but it is great. She is so tough.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:38:24 AM PST
AndrewA says:
Books four and five just annoyed me to no end. I still have hope for book 6 to be explosive. The whole meereen thing annoyed me. He spent so much time getting people there and at the end of the book no one even got there.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:42:24 AM PST
AndrewA says:
Haha I just think the greyjoys are so boring. If they weren't in the books I don't think the books would've changed much at all. And tyrion was great but he kinda went downhill in book five. After the tenth time of him wondering where whores go I just kinda gave up on his chapters being good. I'm hopeful that his teaming up with dany will be awesome tho.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:43:43 AM PST
Tenface says:
Why was the red wedding your favorite part? Did you dislike Rob? I totally agree that Brienne's story arc is horrible and I have been waiting for her to just die. I don't know if Bran is becoming a tree, I get why your saying that but with the whole "you'll never walk again but you'll fly", seems to suggest that he won't be a tree for awhile. After all the dragon does have three heads.

So when do you think the red wedding will happen. They're splitting the third book into 2 seasons. Will it be at the end of the 3rd season?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:46:01 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
The Greyjoy's are anything but boring, imo. The chapter where Theon meets his sister and doesn't realize its her is one of my favorite chapters in the series. I also like his take over of Winterfell and his transformation into Reek.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:46:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2013 11:49:55 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
First of all I'd like to thank you for making this thread. I need to talk about ASOIAF daily or my head explodes. I agree with your opinion on Jaime. Easily my favorite from the books. Great writing considering I used to hate his guts for what he did to Bran.

I actually like the Greyjoy storyline, and I think Victarion is going to have some great moments in the next book or two. Theon's (or Reek) storyline is one of my favorites from the series. Used to hate him also, but he's just misunderstood. He's never felt like he had a home in the world, and part of that blame falls on Ned for not making him more welcome than he was.

I agree with Brienne's part in AFFC. B-O-R-I-N-G. I do like the possible, or subtle, romantic thing going on between her and Jaime. The plot I find most interesting has to do with Varys. I really want to know just how deep this Targaryen-Blackfyre connection goes with himself and Illyrio. I'm also curious as to whether Aegon is really who he thinks he is, or possibly a Blackfyre descendent. More likely, he could be the son of the presumed dead Ashara Dayne. The septa traveling with him could very well be his mother Ashara. She is described by Ser Barristan as having Targaryen features. Purple eyes and the hair, etc.

Oh, and I'll be short with this: Jon Snow is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. No doubt in my mind about that.

Unlike most people, I enjoyed AFFC and ADWD very much, moreso than I did ACOK. Jaime is my favorite character, so that's why I love AFFC, and ADWD had dragons and Reek, and most importantly, Barristan Selmy. That guy rocks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:47:33 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
I disliked Rob and felt like he lost all his honor when he boned that other chick.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:50:38 AM PST
AndrewA says:
Honestly, brans chapter or two in five just seemed to be an excuse to give sean bean another scene in season six, or whenever hbo will air book five.

And I'll be surprised if season three doesn't end with the red wedding. I think they split the book up just to make that the cliffhanger.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:55:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2013 11:57:38 AM PST
Chris... says:
I don't think Your choice of Jamie as you favorite character is an unpopular opinion. I think he's become one of the favorites amongst lots o fans. People that only watch the show may read that and cringe but the Jamie from Game of Thrones is not the same Jamie in Dance with Dragons.

I agree with most everything else you said as well. The story is in complete shambles and I don't even think Martin knows where he's taking this thing. Once he reduced Tyrion to a pig riding buffoon I almost quit the book then and there. Wonder how the fans of the show will react once it catches up to the ridiculousness of the books.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:57:45 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
I think Tyrion will gain quite a lot of power in the next book after the coming battle.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 12:04:21 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I was just tired of trying not to spoil stuff for all the people in the OT who are just now catching up with the series. I read the first three books almost a decade ago.

I should qualify that I like Theon, and his storyline has been good so far. I just remember the entmoot or whatever the king choosing thing was in Asha's chapter and being bored to death with it.

As to Aegon, I think he's the real deal, but he's going to follow in the vein of Robb and Khal Drogo (the leader who never loses a battle but gets betrayed and killed from within his ranks).

I honestly never made the Jon Snow parent connection until I read about it online last year. It makes perfect sense tho. I'm curious if that's going to matter considering where Jon is now. If he ends up just being a warg in his direwolf, I don't know how his parentage will do anything.

And my problem with AFFC and ADWD was mostly pacing. In GoT Tyrion makes it to the Wall and back to King's Landing in a couple chapters. In ADWD, he makes it 20 miles down the long path to meereen each time. I don't think Martin needed more than one chapter to describe his party on the river, or on the road after they smuggled him out of the city. And I think it was criminal that ADWD ended before Stannis made it to Winterfell, and before any of the ten people going to Meereen made it to Dany. It was like he just cut the payoff of the buildups right out of it. Maybe it wouldn't be so annoying if TWOW wasn't probably coming out in 2015 at the earliest.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 12:06:42 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
He was only sixteen, and injured both physically and mentally (his brothers murders) I give him a pass for it. Mostly it was Tywin Lannister's and Walder Frey's fault.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 12:12:35 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Well I figured if anyone who didn't heed the thread title and didn't read through yet saw it, they would find it very unpopular. I still remember my wtf moment when I saw Jaime's name at the beginning of a chapter and wondering why the heck Martin would do that. I was also very happy when they cut his hand off. By the end of the book I was pretty upset that they did that.

Martin's kind of screwed himself for book 6 in the sense that the winter he has described so far, along with the lack of supplies everyone has thanks to the war, is probably going to kill everyone on Westeros. And that's before the Others come down and attack or Dany makes her way over. I don't think he meant to set it up to be that damaging to everyone.

I could be wrong, but didn't he say something like 4 feet of snow fell around Winterfell in the blizzard that was just the precursor to the real winter at the end of ADWD? That's an incredible amount of snow. I'm not sure Martin understands how much snow he is really describing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 12:13:44 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
Pacing was an issue for ADWD, but I honestly don't mind it too much. As long as he wraps up the series before he dies. I don't care how many books that takes. Two more to go as it stands now. I thinkg TWOW will be out by mid 2014, no later. He already released the cover picture and two chapters. Apparently there's 200-300 COMPLETELY finished pages, and if he concentrates, he'll get it done fast.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 12:18:37 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I'm honestly concerned that he won't finish the series before he dies. He's not a young man and he's not a very healthy man at all. I think the HBO money and explosion in popularity has made him care a lot less about when or if he finishes the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 12:18:48 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
This reminds me, many people believe that "winter" will only last one book. The last book is called "A Dream of Spring" for a reason. Winter will still be on until the end of that book, where (IMO) the long winter and the others will be defeated.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 12:21:22 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
I'm not sure he cared all that much after ASOS anyway, judging by how long he took to release AFFC and ADWD. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't finish the series himself, but it will get finished nonetheless, whether it be HBO or another author (a la Brandon Sanderson and Wheel of Time). He's stated that no one else will write ASOIAF book aside from him, but since he's already told HBO the endgame for the series, I believe he's loosening up with the idea of someone finishing it should he die early.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Rise of the Tomb Raider Dev Says Microsoft, Square Enix "Very Happy" With the Game - "Thanks for the concerns." 2 18 minutes ago
Just Cause 3 Load Times and Frame Rate on PS4 Are Bloody Awful 36 19 minutes ago
I received my first and last Loot Crate today 17 43 minutes ago
The Fallout 4 Discussion Thread 1962 1 hour ago
Alright, your TDay/BF weekend list of shame. Whatcha getting/got? 208 2 hours ago
Xbox players closest to total nuclear disarmament in Metal Gear Solid V:The Phantom Pain; PC players hoarding nukes 11 2 hours ago
New Pokken Tournament fighter to be announced on December 10 0 2 hours ago
Final Fantasy VII PS4 trophies list leaks online 12 2 hours ago
AngryJoe gave Battlefront a 5/10 61 2 hours ago
OT: Captain America: Civil War - official trailer 42 3 hours ago
Weekly Gaming and Weekend Recap: 11/30/15-12/4/15 44 3 hours ago
Flashback: Doom Series vs Duke Nukem Series 0 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions