Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Why didn't anybody tell me Faster Than Light was so freakin' brutal?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 118 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:19:26 AM PST
So he's not like the typical indie game maker that websites love to write about?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:11:36 AM PST
Playing with Serenity would be cool but kind of weird plot-wise since you play as a member of the Federation.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:22:02 AM PST
C. Zajic says:
This isn't another EvE online clone is it?
Can you actually control the ship with something other than point and click?
Can you dog fight?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:26:45 AM PST
No and no.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:02:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 9:04:23 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
And just so you know, Nate was a brave and valiant pilot...until that Mantis warped directly into the cockpit. And he fought it with such passion that he didn't even try to make a run for the medbay.

Similarly, Prankster was so adamant about repairing the shields, he did so until his oxygen supply ran out. What a staunchly heroic crew...or absent minded commander. Whichever.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 9:10:26 AM PST
"I spent the evening with my first ship, The Noobian"

Lol. Best ship name ever despite being a Phantom Menace reference.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:20:19 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
Hehe, thank you. Thought it was a fun play on the reference as well as an appropriate title for my inevitably ill-fated maiden voyage.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 9:24:43 AM PST
I think most FTL maiden voyages are ill-fated. I want to say I exploded immeadiately after leaving spacedock. I'm sure that didn't happen, but it felt like it.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 9:30:03 AM PST
Getting ready to play now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:31:15 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
hey buddy: Faster Than Light is freakin' BRUTAL!

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 9:43:05 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
I'm not sure if I'm just terrible at the game, if this is how it usually goes for the first try, or I just wasn't lucky with my salvaging, but I was never able to buy any of the item upgrades. I did hire one crew member, but everything else I was spending on repairs, fuel and a few system upgrades.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:45:12 AM PST
I generally pick up extra crew from slaver ships. They usually demand I turn over one of my people but I choose to attack them. If you get close to destroying them the slavers will offer you one slave if you let them live.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:50:31 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
Ah, nice. I managed to pick up a couple crew members in a similar fashion. I think the most I ever had at one time was a crew of four.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 9:57:29 AM PST
So how does everybody approach ship-to-ship combat? I generally like to disable the other ship's weapons first to limit their potential to shoot back at me. Then I take out their shields and depending on how quickly they repair their weapons I disable them again or I go for their oxygen supplies. I like to spread the damage across multiple systems to slow down their ability to recover.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:04:49 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
Yeah, I focus on weapons and shields. I would also move to oxygen after those two are down, but by the time I'm able to fire again they usually have one of those two primary systems back up.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:09:42 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
I have a question: do manned systems increase in benefit if you have multiple crew members in there? Or is it just a binary system of manned and unmanned?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:14:15 AM PST
I still haven't figured that out yet but I do know if you have a Zoltan crew member he powers up a system just by being in that room. So if you had him boosting shields you will always have at least one shield for as long as he is alive and standing in that room.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:16:27 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
A Zoltan was the one crew member I hired! That ability seemed too great to pass up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:05:40 PM PST
I've seen those but haven't uploaded any mods yet on my game. I'm trying to unlock everything without looking up guides or anything like that.

@ Jason

Slaver ships are fairly easy to take down I think; I've never turned anyone over to them. Typically I like to have one person on the shields, weapons, engines, and cockpit while having two or three people hanging out in the med bay to handle fires or whatever tasks I need completed along with overall inner ship defense. I've maxed out my crew count a few times actually thanks to constantly beating down slavers.

Once I get to a comfortable point though crew wise I typically just blast them for the scrap.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:10:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 12:13:40 PM PST
I do shields then weapons.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:12:14 PM PST
I'm pretty sure it's just manned/unmanned.

Also, Nate sounds like a really dedicated pilot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:13:14 PM PST
I have the same issue. I think Keji may be onto something with staying in a sector as long as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:14:09 PM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
I think he survived longer than anyone else. Good guy. Touching funeral.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:18:54 PM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
That's what I was doing Just staying in the system until they were a move or two away. They actually caught me once in the first or second sector.

I think I probably just made a lot of bad/rookie decisions, heh.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:21:09 PM PST
And your crew paid for them!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions