Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Demon's Souls -- Phantoms, where art thou...?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 21, 2010 10:43:36 AM PDT
new Tron says:
DDustiNN I do the same thing. I like starting my game back up again in the Nexus. It gives me a confidence boost to start in a peaceful place instead of a brooding, dark tunnel.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 10:51:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2010 10:53:49 AM PDT
Orin35 says:
Demons' Souls threads always will bring me out of hiding!

Ok, I wanted to clarify the level range of black/blue phantoms. It's +/- (10 + [10% of current SL])

So for a SL 50 player, the level range is 35-65 for black invasions/blue summons.

SL 100 level range is 80-120.

A buddy of mine and I were getting really frustrated, not understanding it. Now he and I co-op all the time!

Speaking of... I have a ~sl100 "psycho mage" (glass cannon literally...I can get up to 900dmg w/ fireball!)

Also, a sl190 "blessed paladin" build. Never lose any of my exorbitant amount of health :D

I'm willing to start a new character if anyone's up for co-op. Send me a msg on PSN! I think I have most of you on my buddy list.

@DDustiNN - Point of clarification: There is NO pause. You can bring up the menu, but the game moves constantly. This is due to the fact that you are in a persistent online world. (I think it's the same if you play in offline mode...no actual pause) This gets thrown down as a negative a lot without people understanding the real reason why.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 10:23:29 PM PDT
Prankster says:
How will you play co-op? I just started a new game and I am still in 1-1 battling Phalanx. Still trying to get a grip of things.

Also when should I NOT go to the nexus? Because I read somewhere that if I go to the nexus, I will have to battle all the enemies again or something. The archstone for the nexus is at the beginning of the level if I am not wrong so do you go back from wherever you are whenever you want to enter the nexus?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 10:39:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:11:31 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 1:52:12 AM PDT
Prankster says:
Ok, so I beat Phalanx and I went to the nexus. There the maiden told me to go speak to the monumental. Now I spoke to it and accepted the mission. Shouldn't I have gotten a ring after that? And my statue in tendency appears neutral too. Isn't my tendency supposed to be +1 white since I beat a demon boss?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 5:26:19 AM PDT
Orin35 says:
Not exactly prankster. I believe you are referring to the Friend's Ring, and that requires some other more rigorous activity to get. I'll hold my tongue in case you either a) want to figure it out, or b)don't want to be told. Mmm...these may be the same thing...haha!

A wiki is extremely helpful for this game. No doubt. Also, you are correct that you shifted your world towards white tendency, but it's not pure white. Just a quick note, you only get the world events in pure tendencies, which means the extreme ends of the spectrum; either white or black. If you wish I could go into some detail when I get the chance for you.

@DDustiNN - yeah man, I wasn't trying t slight you. I just wanted to make sure that newcomers to the game reading this thread didn't read pause and say "oh, I can stop the game and actually pick up that ringing phone" only to have the enemy kill them. It happened to a buddy of mine haha.

Also prankster, you should have received the blue eye stone and black eye stone. The blue eye lets players in body form within a certain level range invite you to their game to play co-operatively. No voice chat; my thought is to make it stylized and still lonely even while playing together. Black eye stone allows you to invade a random player in body form. Both stones require you to be in soul form.

I'll try to come up with a hints and tips post a little later.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 6:07:55 AM PDT
Wish I could let you guys hold my weapons for the stone upgrade trophies but my DS disc cracked.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 6:14:57 AM PDT
new Tron says:
I haven't summoned/invaded yet in my game, but would really like to. Can the blue eye stone and black eye stone be used as many times as you need? I appear to only have one of each in my inventory.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 6:22:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2010 6:23:09 AM PDT
Prankster says:
Thanks a lot Orin. yeah, right now I am in body form (don't invade my world guys =P) and I just got the two stones. I would love to explore that part of the game where I invade or ask for help. I guess that's what you meant by co-op.

And I just wanted to know whatever you told me about the tendency. I was just curious cuz I thought I didn't get it because of some glitch or something.

But am I right in saying the game will always give me the opportunities to finish the fights or whatever is needed to reach pure white or black tendency or do I have to discover it on my own? I am aware of the fact that it is related to the black phantoms.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 6:27:37 AM PDT
Not sure if anyone was aware that reaching pure WWT is basically just beating the bosses on each world. Reaching pure BWT is simply just dying 7 times on human form.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 6:29:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2010 6:30:50 AM PDT
Yes, they're basically a general item. You only loose them if you drop 'em. Ephemeral Eyes and the stone (forgot the name) that can bring you back to Nexus in exchange for your souls are the spent ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 6:31:35 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
yeah there are two different things, World Tendency is related to defeating bosses or dying.

Character tendency is related to killing black phantoms/npcs or other players.

in order to get the ring from the monumental you need pure white character tendency.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 6:38:34 AM PDT
Prankster says:
Alright I have asked a hell of a lot questions, in this thread as well as the OT =P

What I just wanna know now is that will the game offer me opportunities itself to find these black phantoms, npcs etc. in my path or do I actually have to go and search for them on some alternate route? In short, will they come to me or should I go to them?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 6:51:05 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
you have to go to them, Thats best saved for later when you can just use the wiki to find them all =p

that is just for the NPC black phantoms though, human Black Phantoms who invade you will come to you haha.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 6:52:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2010 6:56:34 AM PDT
Some you have to search, some will just attack you out of nowhere.

Boletaria - found Miranda in pure WWT 1-1 (kinda forgot who the actual black phantom was)

Stonefang - found Scirver in pure BWT in his little camp 2-1

Tower of Latria - found Raydell in pure BWT outside his cell without getting the key in pure WWT 3-1

Shrine of Storms - found Satsuki in pure BWT standing next to the skeleton beginning of 4-1

Valley of Defilement - found Selen on the same spot 5-2 pure BWT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 6:54:10 AM PDT
Prankster says:
Haha ok. I'll keep a watch on those. Thanks man. I guess I will just go along with some path now and come back for all that's left again later.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 6:57:09 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
well like we said, getting BBT, normally is something you really have to do yourself, considering you are killing all the bosses as you go. So basically when you're ready, just do all the world tendency events in one run, thats what I did.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 8:52:31 AM PDT
Orin35 says:
So it sounds like you'd like some info on world tendency. (Note: not soul/character tendency) I'll give you high-level information. Think of world tendency a scale of 7. Pure White is +3, Pure Black is -3, Neutral 0. When you start a new game, all worlds should be Neutral on the scale.

Ways to shift to White world tendency in a specific world: [World 1 examples]
Beat a world boss (i.e. Phalanx, Tower Knight, etc.): + 1
Beat a named NPC Black Phantom (i.e. Executioner Miralda): + 3
Beat the Primeval Demon for the specific world: + 3

A word on these last two: They only spawn in Pure black world tendency.

Ways to shift to Black World Tendency in a specific world:
Die in body form in the specific world: - 1
Kill a named White Phantom(note: not all worlds have these, and can only be obtained in pure white!): - 3
--Double note: the killing of a white phantom will knock your soul/character tendency down as well! Beware if you're shooting for pure white character/soul tendency.

Essentially, all world events happen at the extremes, nothing major inbetween. Each world has some sort of event that occurs in each pure world tendency. I can go into detail as to how to perform them, but that requires another long section, as there are a good amount of caveats to doing the world events "properly". The basic info is shift to pure black, kill named npc black phantom and primeval demon (+6 total) and then continue to kill a world boss (+1). This guarantees pure white. Again, there are more caveats, so more detail later/if required.

!!!The biggest word of warning I can give you about world tendency!!!
There has been a "bug" (to me, this is debatable) that more often than not, your world tendency gets reset to neutral whenever you log in. "Big deal" one might say. But it's a little more sinister. If you are completing World Tendency events in online mode, you MUST complete them all at the same time if you want to ensure the integrity of your world tendency!

This is the most basic high level info. People keep hammering home the wiki, I really do recommend checking it out. Unless you want to go for the "in the dark" feeling, in which case I totally get that. This game was no doubt designed for that exact sentiment! This game is a piece of cake if you know all the hiding spots and specific attacks an enemy can throw at you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 9:19:04 AM PDT
Prankster says:
This must have taken a lot of time man. Thanks for all that info. That means I need to die once more in human form for Miralda to appear. Okay then!

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 9:33:41 AM PDT
new Tron says:
There's SO much to learn about this game. I'm actually not going to put a ton of focus on the world tendency events this time around. I'll save that for the next playthrough.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 9:35:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2010 9:36:50 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
but remember, world tendency ONLY shifts if you die in body form.

you can die 1000 times in soul form and WT will not be affected.

it doesn't even have to be a second playthrough Tron, just hit them up when you are nearing the end of the game.

I did them all when I had 1 or 2 levels left, just knocked them all out in 1 sitting.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 9:57:09 AM PDT
new Tron says:
Prankster, striderneo, or anyone else, if you guys want to add me to your friends list, feel free. I don't play a whole lot of online multiplayer games yet, but I plan to in the future. My PSN ID is troninchi

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 1:13:39 PM PDT
Orin35 says:
Whoop, hold on a sec there. Perhaps I'm not following. You said you beat a boss in world 1, right? Assuming you started at neutral, that means you should be at +1 on the chart, which means you would have to beat another two bosses to get to pure white for that world, or die five times in body form in that world to get it to pure black.

You can check world tendency from the menu. I think it's just known as tendency; it shows you in the middle of all the archstones, and they change color with their tendency. Pure black is just that: Pure black stone, can hardly make out any details.

Let me know if this helps you. P.S. I have you on my friends list, send me a msg or two.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 1:16:39 PM PDT
Orin35 says:
Oh tron, I wanted to reply to you too!

I want to point out that NG+ is 4 TIMES harder. I'm not saying it's impossible, but man is that a difficult spot! What I do is I save the world events for near the end of the game. I leave the last boss of each world, do pb world tendency, kill the boss of the world, and go back in for pw world tendency.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 1:34:00 PM PDT
Lol talking about DS is sooo fun! I better not start or ill go on forever.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  2067
Initial post:  Aug 16, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions