Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Star Citizen raises $6M and hits all stretch goals with one hour remaining

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 9:34:38 AM PST
Nice!

I am very excited for the alpha of this game next year. Definitely might try to get a PC upgrade or two in prior to launch as well.

Anyone here throw some money their way?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:35:59 AM PST
YES! Oh man I cannot wait for this game! I threw down some cash when they first opened their website so I've been set for some time. So glad this has seen massive success and Robert can build the game he's always been dreaming of.

NOW MAKE MY PC CRY!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:39:22 AM PST
I can't wait either. In addition to raising all of this money on kickstarter and crowd-funding, he also has investors backing him up.

I like that they're being very transparent and taking a lot of fan input on it too. Very excite!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:41:28 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
My only Kickstarter right now is the one from the Quest for Glory people I'm eying nervously as it approaches the deadline.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:42:02 AM PST
Oh yea I forgot he had the investors willing to back him if he raised X amount through crowd sourcing. It's going to be a real treat I think to see how thing develops. Fan input has been great thus far and nearly all the ideas they've pitched I've really liked.

I'm a little worried that my life will be over once this releases though lol. Also need to start pricing out some really nice flight simulator gear too.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:42:16 AM PST
This one and Project Eternity are the only two I bought into.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:44:01 AM PST
Kendahl says:
Is this from the guy who created Rollercoaster Tycoon?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:45:43 AM PST
No, this is the guy that created Wing Commander.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:46:02 AM PST
I've got quite a few under my belt at the moment lol.

Scrumble Ship
Timber and Stone
M.O.R.E.
Project Eternity
Planetary Annihilation
Ouya
Dead State
The Dead Linger
Faster Than Light

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:54:24 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Oh yeah, I've backed a bunch. And these are just the games.

Double Fine
Wasteland 2
Banner Saga
Shadowrun
Starlight Inception
Two Guys Spaceventure
Quest for Infamy (looks like a straight QfG clone/ripoff)
Hero U
Project Eternity
Ouya

There are a few others I gave $1-$5 to that I don't really care much about.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:55:22 AM PST
I'm still really bummed I missed out on Double Fine's and Wasteland 2's Kickstarter!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:59:45 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
It sure wasn't for lack of me shamelessly bumping Wasteland 2 with their updates. Not doing the same for the other one I'm doing. Seemed like a lack of interest in it here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:06:39 AM PST
At the time I wasn't really aware of what Kickstarter was or that they had a time limit on how long they were taking funds. It wasn't until after both of those saw massive success that I truly looked into Kickstarter and discovered how awesome it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:10:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 10:10:45 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I try to reserve my kickstarter pledges for companies/individuals with proven track records or an industry background. I've pledged to a bunch of local stuff too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:16:03 AM PST
That's what I try to do but I've kicked in on a few projects from some unknown developers simply because they already had some impressive stuff to show right out the gate like Timber and Stone. I don't pitch into the projects (unless I know who they are) if they don't have anything to show beyond giving their ideas and what have you. A few games like Dead State I've been following for years before they went the Kickstarter route.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:21:03 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
That's where my $1-$5 donations tend to go. I didn't list those. I gave $1 to Leisure Suit Larry, for example. Yes, they have a track record. But I just didn't enjoy the games that much. I'm pleased that other Sierra developers have come out of the woodwork though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:22:00 AM PST
I don't typically kick in a small amount like that, the projects I kick in for are the ones where I'm netting myself a copy of the game at release and sometimes I pay extra to get into the Alpha and Beta testing like with FTL.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:22:52 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Glad this one was so successful, definately might check it out when I get my PC for ESO.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:22:58 AM PST
I didn't give to this one, but I am glad they hit their goal!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:44:02 PM PST
Project Update #48: Thank You! - End of Campaign Transition
Posted by Cloud Imperium Games Corporation

The battle is over and we - PC gamers, space sim fans, WingNuts, Lancers and the rest - have won. You've not only met every goal we set, you've exceeded them. Star Citizen will be released because of your dedication and your willingness to put your money where our mouths are. Our gratitude is immeasurable; we owe you our livelihoods and will not soon forget it.

The question is: what happens next?

Our intention has always been to make Roberts Space Industries YOUR site. It's not a public advertisement for the game; it's a private community for those who are making the game happen. We want your input on what we're doing and we want to share our plans with you; the occasional passer-by doesn't concern us. The plan was initially to immediately switch on a wall that would allow only you, our backers, to access features like the Comm-Link and the Spectrum Dispatches. Kickstarter has thrown something of a wrench in this plan: we can't change the site until the Kickstarter backers are integrated, which may take up to two weeks, otherwise we would be blocking thousands of backers from participating.

Updates and features will continue, returning to a regular schedule in the next few days. The team needs a few days to collect ourselves and reform before jumping into the immense task ahead (after the last month, our husbands, wives, children and yes, pets, miss us!) We will also be launching new sections which have been in the works for some time: the Galactapedia will tell you more about the Star Citizen world, Engineering will introduce you to game mechanics that are being planned and Holovids will offer you video footage from the game as it takes shape.

What about pledges? Good news: those of you who got in on the ground floor are covered. Your ships have lifetime insurance policies and for the next year you will have the ability to purchase further tiers or upgrade existing ones at the initial prices. That's not true of everyone else: if you want to back Star Citizen and participate in this amazing community, you still can. but it's going to cost you a little extra as of now, and you aren't going to have as many extras (no lifetime insurance, for example.)

One issue which concerns us is what to do with the funding tracker. So we're going to throw the issue up to you: in two weeks, when the wall goes up, what do you want to see done with the tracker? Without the 'push' of the campaign it probably won't update very dramatically. but it's always possible it will go up enough to reach future stretch goals anyway. Should we keep it, remove it or put it somewhere else? We'll let the community decide.

We also have previously outlined the 'behind the screens' subscription plans available now. They're designed for users who simply want to give us a little extra support during the development - you're getting the whole story, regardless - but we will have some extra fun for our monthly contributors.

We can't thank you enough for everything you've done for this project. Please see the next update on 'The Pledge' for our promise to you. The next two years are going to be incredible for all involved and we're thoroughly happy that all of you are along for this exciting ride.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions