Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U Bricking

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 6:09:40 PM PST
Be careful guys. This already happened to me, and will probably happen to some of you.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/10868/article/is-your-wii-u-bricked-you-ll-have-to-send-it-to-nintendo/

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:12:00 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Wow. This is actually real.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:14:53 PM PST
Aku says:
It's apparently a 5-ish gigabyte update, and a lot can go wrong in that span of time even with faster internet speeds.

But at least Nintendo will deal with it for free...maybe ask if you can have the Wii U returned with the update done already. Because that'd suck to get your system back weeks later and have it happen again.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:16:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:16:43 PM PST
Suggestion, get one of these APC BE550G Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 120V or something like it. hook your consoles and TV up to it. It won't protect against an Internet outage but it will against power dips, spikes, or outages (as long as it isn't too long).

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:21:51 PM PST
We'll get this out of the way first: Do not unplug or turn off any console when it is performing a firmware update.

Unplugging the Wii U during the day-one firmware update might brick the console for good, LA Times film and video game industry journalist Ben Fritz reports on Twitter. Fritz says he unplugged his Wii U 15 minutes into the update, when the progress bar said it would take two hours to finish, and his console is now completely busted. There was no "cancel" option, Fritz says.

A few people on Twitter have chimed in with their own update horror stories, with one saying the connection timed out during the update and another claiming Nintendo support told him to unplug the Wii U for 15 seconds, both scenarios ending with bricks. The Wii U's sizable update will take a while to process, of course expanding the chances of something going wrong. Nintendo has not confirmed the update's actual size.

Nintendo of America warns Wii U owners, "please do not power down or unplug your system while downloading updates. Doing so may cause damage to your Wii U."

In the spirit of Fritz's Twitter avatar, remember: If you unplug your Wii U during a firmware update, you're gonna have a bad time.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/19/report-wii-u-dies-if-power-cut-during-massive-firmware-update/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who can't access the link above plus I find it funny that the genius from Twitter Ben Fritz decided after 15 minutes he'd unplug his Wii-U because he felt it wasn't going fast enough.

According to his Twitter:

"Film business reporter for @latimes with occasional dives into video games. Core belief: We all have it coming. "

I'm not sure who in their right mind who has played video games in the last 15 years or since the memory card came into play would think this is a great idea but I'm not sure what else you would expect to happen suddenly cutting off a system firmware update. While I can understand being upset if your internet connection dropped or something like that which is out of control if you're dense enough to unplug or turn off a system like this you've got this coming.

Sucks for those who had this happen and had no control over it but I highly question the intelligence of Ben Fritz. It's been all over the internet that this update takes awhile (took me about an hour and a half today) yet Captain Genius there decided to kill it after 15 minutes. He also notes that there wasn't a cancel button or anything like that (gee wonder why?) though I'm not sure if the system tells you to not turn it off during the update. I wasn't paying too close attention because this is common knowledge so I might have imagined reading a blurb on my Gamepad about not shutting the thing down.

Now everyone point and laugh at Ben Fritz.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:23:32 PM PST
How long do I have to wait until I can buy a Wii-U with the day 1 firmware update already on the machine? Will 2 years be enough time?

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:24:17 PM PST
Solid Sponge says:
Oh wow... My internet cuts out very often, I could easily see this happening to someone in my family if we were to purchase a Wii U. But I'm happy Nintendo is addressing the problem. To you VGFers out there who have experienced the problem, we are here to console you on the loss of your... console.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:25:46 PM PST
"genius from Twitter"

There is no such thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:27:03 PM PST
You have to wait the same amount of time it would take to download the day one update, so yeah about 2 years.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:29:41 PM PST
RPoD?
(Red Plumber of Death)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:31:12 PM PST
Good one Flores

/e-high-five

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:32:43 PM PST
Paper Tiger says:
Hmmm I'm glad I saw this before I set up the Wii U. If someone turns on the treadmill at my house the internet cuts out for a few mins so a run would be a bad way to pass the time while the update downloads heh.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:32:45 PM PST
Yay!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:34:54 PM PST
Not your best work.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:39:15 PM PST
Why would he skip turning it off and go right to unplugging it? Even then, that's totally unnecessary. Seriously, you can just not plug it into the TV and watch TV, or play another console, or whatever.

I also find it hard to feel bad for someone not wanting to wait for a 5GB DL. Maybe I'm just used to long DLs from getting full games?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:39:22 PM PST
Comeon Nate, it must've made you at least chuckle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:41:29 PM PST
I know. Not inspired too much right now :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:42:37 PM PST
The main problem is that 5GB is for a firmware update. That's is extremely large for a firmware update. I don't think anyone would be used to that taking hours. In fact this is Nintendo's fault for making the update that big. It should have been broken into smaller parts. It makes me wonder what the heck they are doing that it has to be 5GB. Did they rewrite the entire firmware from scratch?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:46:35 PM PST
I dunno, I feel like those "...of Death" names should be something on the console itself. I mean, we don't call it the "Red Master Chief of Death" or the "Yellow Nathan Drake of Death."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:47:42 PM PST
We all have our off days.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:48:36 PM PST
FryBaby says:
so it is a 360

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:49:12 PM PST
How about RWoD (Red Wii of Death)? Although that does sound like something with an STD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:49:49 PM PST
Yes, that is a huge issue by itself. But someone who has used video games at this gen should know not to turn a console off, let alone unplug it, during an update.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:50:28 PM PST
Haha I like that one.

Also ewwww.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:50:28 PM PST
So, Nintendo is now copying both Sony (huge firmware updates) AND Microsoft (crappy launch hardware)?
This is soooo not good.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions