Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Gamasutra's 50 games that defined 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-60 of 60 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:22:20 PM PST
Hey says:
But what was the cost to make and ship the game out compared to revenue on those kinds of numbers?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:23:54 PM PST
Joel H. says:
Not forgotten, they just probably played it is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:25:10 PM PST
Considering the game was utter crap, I would guess they're already making a profit from it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:27:43 PM PST
Hey says:
Yeah, but from what I can tell, this game is essentially the equivalent of Waterworld. That movie was garbage and that cost them a LOT of money.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:28:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 2:29:59 PM PST
Joel H. says:
I don't understand how Dishonored is goty on the other thread. This is a game where you can just magically summon dozens of rats and make them eat everyone in your path- and can even do it to the last boss. The game is rental short as well. Good game but iono about goty.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:29:50 PM PST
Hey says:
If ALL you did was summon dozens of rats to eat people, I'd give it game of the year and I haven't even played it. The fact that you can do other stuff is simply icing on the cake.

Seriously. Rats eating everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:31:14 PM PST
Yeah, but on waterworld, the movie was garbage, but at least you can see where the money went.
CoD Vita is nothing more than a badly reskined Resistance: Burning skies, but without any of the redeeming qualities the Resistance game has.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:32:55 PM PST
Hey says:
But that still has nothing to do with revenue to cost ratios. I honestly don't know the answer to this. Does anyone know?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:55:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 2:57:55 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, the important thing to realize is that the people who make the decisions on "which games do we pay to make" don't really understand about quality, nor do they really have much control over it.

A hundred million dollars and a really talented team can make a terrible game (e.g. Resident Evil 6) whereas a single guy on a shoestring budget can make a great game (e.g. Cave Story). There's not that much the guys who write the checks can do in order to shift things one way or another. But from their perspective, sometimes terrible games do actually sell well (and remember making money is what these people are interested in) on the basis of name value and marketing (e.g. Resident Evil 6) alone.

So what BlOps Vita shows us is that you can't sell a lot of copies of the biggest name in games right now on the Vita unless it's a good game (and maybe not even then.) You at least want to wait for someone to show you that you can sell a lot of copies of something on the Vita if it's a good game, and even then you run the risk as a publisher of bankrolling a game that turns out to be crap.

So all I'm saying is that if you're a third party dev, you're much more gunshy about spending the money on a Vita game than you would be on competing platforms.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:34:57 PM PST
Meatwad says:
Hooray for Spec Ops!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions