Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2012 5:18:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 5:19:17 AM PST
eMJayBlaze says:
Hello All,
I am currently debating purchasing myself a PS3, but wanted to discuss with you guys before I make the jump. I had one a few years ago, but didn't use it for much more than playing PS3 exclusives, and blu-ray, and once I got through most of the exclusives, I got rid of it, due to playing my 360 more, and needing some money at the time. For christmas, I got a bunch of AMEX gift cards, which would cover the system and a game or two. I do have some questions though.

1 - Is it worth it? I am happy with my xbox but have played most, if not all of the games I would like to on it... Is there something better worth spending my money on?

2 - What exclusives for PS3 should I be looking into?

3 - Which model PS3 should I get? Slim vs Fat?

4 - Where could I get the best deal on it? As far as I can tell, it would be gamestop refurbished, or someone on craigslist, although I am always weary of buying electronics from CL...

Any other advice/feedback would be much appreciated!

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 5:24:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 5:25:46 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
1. PS+, free online, blu-ray, blu-tooth, no battery controllers, etc. You can be the judge.

2. Resistance series (a more dramatic Gears of War series imo), Uncharted series, Ratchet and Clank collection, Demon Souls. Not a big fan of God of War but people seem to love it. There's tons of other exclusives and good PS3 besides this.

3. I wouldn't get the fat because you will only get refurbished, I would try to find a Slim new. Do not buy the super slim as of right now (just my opinion).

4. Well you kind of missed all the holiday deals, but I am sure there will be some more coming. Please don't buy anything on Craigslist. It can be broken, unless it's NIB and for hella cheap.

It all really depends on what you like to play and how you like to play. If you do nothing but play Madden 13 and COD, just stick to Xbox. But if you like playing all types of games, get a PS+ membership, take advantage of the free games and discounted deals and just have fun. There are tons of great exclusive games plus many coming out in 2013. Xbox has Gears 4 coming out as far as I know. PS3 has a solid 6-8 coming out so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:27:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 5:28:24 AM PST
Well if you already have a 360 and prefer that for multiplayer games than a PS3 will still be for exclusives and blu-ray.

Here is a list of PS3 exclusives
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games

EDIT: You probably cannot find a fat model anymore. It's between slim and super slim, I'd go slim as I think it looks better and it's pretty reliable.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 5:36:25 AM PST
Gameresq says:
It depends on which Sony exclusives you want to play. I bought a PSP 2000 just to play Crisis Core, though I ended up playing a bunch of other games too. Ratchet & Clank is a fantastic series, Uncharted, God of War etc. and soon, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. The latter is being called the best JRPG to hit the U.S. since Xenoblade. I will be buying it.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 5:45:34 AM PST
eMJayBlaze says:
The 2 exclusives that I had my eyes on were Demon's Souls, as Dark Souls is one of my favorite games ever, and Heavy Rain, as I have heard it has similar game mechanics to the Telltale Walking dead game, which I absolutely loved... Also, My girlfriend doesnt like games unless there is a story she can follow, and make choices in that affect it, and I presume that is what Heavy Rain is about, no?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:47:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 5:47:22 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Yes, imo, Demon Souls and Heavy Rain are 2 great choices to get a PS3 with.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:03:19 AM PST
Scratchy says:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony---PlayStation-3-(250GB)-Holiday-Bundle-(Best-Buy-Exclusive)/6900288.p?skuId=6900288&productCategoryId=abcat0703001&id=1218812709375

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868110103

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 7:04:25 AM PST
Cyberphobia says:
If you still have your 360 and are enjoying it, you may just want to wait until the next gen come out instead of buying another PS3 now. Supposedly they'll be out next holiday season, but who really knows. I'd wager the gift cards are valid for at least a year, so those could be put towards the purchase of a next gen. Just my thought, even though I know any extra money burns a hole in my pocket pretty quickly.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 7:55:45 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
It's still good for watching Blu-Rays and playing exclusives, but that's about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 8:10:06 AM PST
I thought you were Sonymite today?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 8:41:05 AM PST
ChuChu Train says:
I picked up God of War Saga (haven't opened it yet) but have god of war 1 and 2 for ps2 - love the series. Depending if you have a wife or g/f little big planet is fun to play with them (i have LBP2 that i still haven't opened).

I just recently got my ps3 as well and currently scouting for games I want to pick up. I keep picking up multipat for my ps3 when I should just get them for PC (Price drop quicker).

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 8:45:19 AM PST
C. Zajic says:
If Demon's Souls and Heavy rain are your only reason to get a PS3 among all the PS3 exclusives then rent one or pick one up used, don't waste $250 on a new one if you're only playing 2 games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 8:51:10 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Those are his 2 starter games obviously.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 9:07:01 AM PST
This is just another indirect PS3 troll thread and you all fell for it. Shame on you guys, don't you know better by now?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:03:56 AM PST
C. Zajic says:
If he can't name more than 2 games he's interested in then it sounds like he hasn't thought too long about what to play and should wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:15:00 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I love Blu-Rays and PS3 exclusives.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 8:01:09 AM PST
eMJayBlaze says:
Hey guys, just an update. I did pick up the PS3, with all my giftcards, and I am glad I did. I bought the uncharted 3 GOTY bundle, with the 250 GB hard drive, 30 day Playstation Plus membership, uncharted 3, and DUST 514... I also picked up Heavy Rain, and Demon's Souls. I used the PS+ to download Infamous 2, Scott Pilgrim vs the World, and am debating getting LBP2 from it also. So far, I'm loving Heavy Rain (I'm about 60% done). Uncharted is fun, but I have NO IDEA why people talk about it like it is the best game to come out. Very generic 3rd person shooter if you ask me... Demon's Souls is good so far, but unfortunately I'm not enjoying it as much as Dark Souls...

I will also be aquiring a few more games over the next week or so from friends who no longer play them...

ICO/Shadow of the Colossus Collection
God of War Collection
Journey

What other games would you guys reccomend that I can play now that are PS exclusives?
What are upcoming games I should be excited for?

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 8:06:48 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Some of the games that are coming out this year on the PS3 are Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Tales of Xillia, Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War: Ascension, and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:08:20 AM PST
FOGE says:
Great choices. Looks like you have good taste in games. I recommend the Resistance series. They are cheap now. The first has aged quite a bit but still a great game; the third is phenomenal.

Also, if you enjoyed the PS1 era Twisted Metals then grab the new one. Its a great little throwback to a bygone era.

Enjoy your new shiny!

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 8:18:31 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Resistance 1-3.

You can get Resistance 1 at GS for like 3.99 or something, Resistance 2 for 5.99, and Resistance 3 for cheap.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:28:00 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Have you ever played Okami? Okami HD is $20 on PSN. It was a PS2 game and there's also a Wii version. I'm waiting for any kind of discount but if I didn't have a backlog I would have bought it on day 1. (I also would've preferred a physical copy over a download.)

It's a wonderful, wonderful game. One of my all-time favorites.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 8:33:27 AM PST
eMJayBlaze says:
Those are great reccomendations. I played resistance 1+2, but completely forgot about 3. I will deff pick that up. Okami is also a great idea. I've always wanted to play it, but never had the means to. Thanks for that.

I do plan on getting The Last of Us, Beyond:Two Souls, and prob God of War...

I do pride myself on atleast trying any and all games that are supposed to be good. I didn't think I would like Dark Souls before I played it, but it is without a question one of my top 5 games ever.

Feel free to keep coming with reccomendations, I'm working on a list that I can knock the games off of once I beat them. I assume I will have Heavy Rain and Journey done before the weekend is over, then have to decide what to play next. (I started all of them to see what I wanted to play first, but usually stick to a single game until it's beat).

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 8:42:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 8:43:24 AM PST
Lucanus says:
IMHO, the ps3 is a wonderful system and is easily worth picking up. I won't bother listing exclusives, most of the top games have already been listed, with the exception of Valkryia Chronicles (superb game btw). A gamer can't go wrong with a ps3 purchase. Congrats and Happy New Year! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:45:07 AM PST
S. Brown says:
I'm also in the "waiting for a discount" camp, although I never played it on Wii or PS2, so it'll be a first for me. I'd really like to play it once my backlog thins out a bit, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:45:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 11:45:59 AM PST
"Uncharted is fun, but I have NO IDEA why people talk about it like it is the best game to come out. Very generic 3rd person shooter if you ask me..."

You ever had those moments where you are playing a game and the coolest set-pieces are relegated to quick-time events, rail-shooter sequences, and/or cut-scenes? Uncharted actually lets you retain control while upping the ante in terms of what action games are capable of (surpassing most of what Hollywood has had to offer) and that's while having pitch-perfect pacing, dynamic and fun gameplay, great writing, engaging characters, practically unrivaled presentation, beautiful music, and freaking awesome multiplayer (applicable to 2 and 3 only since 1 and Golden Abyss don't have multiplayer). To put it simply, Uncharted is one of the best franchises out there because, more successfully than any other game before or after, it immerses you into the role of a Hollywood action hero, but what do I know? I just happen to own both a 360 and a PS3 and prefer the PS3. =P
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Dec 28, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions