Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

VGF Tabletop RPG thread; looking for guinea pigs, I have cookies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:59:47 PM PST
I think that roll20 site that was mentioned earlier may enable us to see each others' rolls, but honor system works for me, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:16:16 PM PST
Since Daft hasn't responded to all of the posts about the roll20 site I think he is not interested in using it.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:26:30 PM PST
You are partially correct, Jason. I am hesitant to introduce any classes/races from roll20. If there is a tool that will allow us to see all of the rolls, that could be handy as it could keep the momentum of combat alive. Johns, can you give me a link that I can look at when I get home. The site is blocked where I am at work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:29:20 PM PST
You don't have to use classes and races from roll20. It's a whiteboard you paste a map on to. You can use monster clip art to represent enemies or NPCs but you can use your own races and stats.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:33:49 PM PST
The idea of people coming in and out is pretty solid. As long as Daft isn't super concerned with encounter difficulty being absolutely perfect for a given number of players, we'll be fine. I'm pretty sure I'm going with a half-orc paladin.

I'm thinking he was a part of a tribe that wiped out a town of humans that settled too close to their mountains. He participated in the raid as a spear-bearer for an orc warchief, but found that he couldn't shake the sense of shame over the slaughter and left the warcamp in the night to look through the wreckage of the town. He was disgusted with himself at first, thinking that his human blood made him weak, but then he found the trampled body of a priest, who had died defending his flock. Picking up the holy symbol he felt a calling to serve the weak as a paladin.

He knows nothing of the god he serves and very little of the noble ways of a paladin, so he should be very different from the pompous jerks we usually see in the class. I haven't locked down his diety, I'm thinking of leaving that to Daft. It may be a useful quest hook to have an unknown god in the mix.

I kind of want to gimp him a bit by not giving him proper armor and weaponry, but I don't want to drag down the group with RP, so I may just say he stole some orc lucre and bought some at the nearest city, ha ha.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:39:07 PM PST
Eh, the armor you'll be able to afford at level one isn't going to be especially useful. You could just give him some kind of rough hide armor he managed to fashion himself, and we can trust Daft to give us the chance to armor him better later on.

Right, Daft?

...right?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:42:23 PM PST
http://roll20.net/

Like Jason said, it's it's not meant as an additional source, merely as a sort of substitute online tabletop. There are a bunch of resources available, but I believe you can use your own, as well, and you can generally use as much or little of either as you want.

That was their goal in the Kickstarter, I haven't really taken a close look at it since the site went up, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:50:13 PM PST
DVvM says:
You could just do it in IRC with a bot that rolls dice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:52:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 2:53:39 PM PST
That roll20 site would work very well for games.

From what I saw, everything is completely customizable.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 2:58:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 2:58:33 PM PST
Here's some info from Roll20:

Text chat & dice rolls
Of course, what online system would be complete without a text chat system? Speak out-of- or in-character, send whispers to communicate with other players or the GM in private, and use emotes to add additional depth to your characters. And rolling dice is as easy as typing a formula. There's also a powerful macros system to let you store frequently used rolls or emotes so you can cut down on your typing time.

And best of all, the text chat log is fully persistent between play sessions, so you can review anytime to find out exactly who said and rolled what. Read more...

3D Dice (New!)
Somtimes you want to be able to see your dice actually rolling on the tabletop. Roll20 now offer the ability to enable 3D Dice, which allows you to see a 3D physics simulation right in your browser whenever you perform a dice roll. And any other players with 3D Dice enabled will see your roll happening in real-time on their computer as well, so you can all share in the excitement of that crucial crit!

Bring back excitement to to dice rolls in your virtual tabletop!

Stay on the same page with Journal
The Journal lets you keep track of information on important characters and store notes like handouts and maps. You can also choose to share or withold entries from each individual player. It's the perfect way to keep track of information about your NPCs and make sure all of your players are on the same page.

Have a secret note that you need to slip to a specific character from forces unknown? Two clicks and you're done.

Fog of war to hide and reveal areas of the map, a turn tracker to aid in encounters, drawing tools including text and freehand, token health bars and auras, grid snapping, a measurement tool, and a GM info layer to let you keep track of traps without tipping your hand. Plus even more on the way.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:01:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 3:03:32 PM PST
You create the classes, manually input skills, abilities, attributes, names, biography, info, GM notes for each character, and more. Looks fairly robust and gives you most (if not all) of the required tools for an electronic table-top experience.

It has built in voice chat, web-cam support, and allows 100% customization of your table-top. All of the rules and such are run by the GM and upheld by the players. They just offer the tools to do so through the net without relying on an honor system.

Honestly, I think you really need to check it out and watch the info videos.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:05:28 PM PST
Should I pick up the Pathfinder core rulebook? Is that a good place to start?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:09:02 PM PST
I've been playing around with it and it looks like everything is created by the GM and player. Everything. Map, characters, races, class, abilities, everything. It has to be manually entered by the player or GM and the GM can lock editing as well. Slick interface actually.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:14:32 PM PST
The password to the VGF Pathfinder Discussion channel in my vent server is - vgf

If anyone is interested in getting together to talk more about this, feel free to use vent. I can send the vent info through email, steam, facebook, etc. I just don't want to post it here on the public forums. I have a 25 person cap and we usually only see <10 regulars online at any time as it is.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:18:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 3:24:00 PM PST
Myth Weavers also hosts character and dungeon generators and creators, character sheets, etc. Many people on the roll20 forums seem to use some of these in addition to the roll20 site.

There's also image packs you can download from dozens of people on roll20 to get a game going easily without searching for all the images you may require for a game.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php

here's an example of a Pathfinder character sheet:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=484417

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:29:51 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
This looks very cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:30:47 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
They're $32.99 here. Just bought one. I'll have it Tues/Wed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:31:43 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Hey Capt....send me the vent info to the email on my profile please.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:54:03 PM PST
Sent

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:57:49 PM PST
My god, I had no idea that roll20 had all of this. Ok, this is looking like a really good way to show dungeon maps and show the rolls. I haven't looked at the site, but I'm hoping that it also allows me to roll and not show anyone what I'm rolling for spot/perception checks and such.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:59:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 4:00:42 PM PST
I'm pretty sure you can do hidden rolls. Let me verify.

Yes. You can even do rolls for just one PC and the GM.

/gmroll 1d20+6
Roll the dice, but only you and the GM see the result. Great for hidden/discrete checks. Shortcut: /gr

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:10:30 PM PST
I think the reason for this was that he may have simply confused the "roll20" site with the "d20pfsrd" site.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:14:09 PM PST
Yes. I would say for now, pick up the book, and use this site for extra stuff.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:14:11 PM PST
Well, what a poopy-head!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:15:36 PM PST
....and that was the FIRST time Jason had to roll a new character.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Does Anybody Here Remember Goosebumps? 49 5 minutes ago
Retail Hallucinations And The Pointlessness Of Owning A PlayStation 4 or Xbox One 7 8 minutes ago
OT: IFLS Asks Which Causes More Pain - Childbirth or Getting Kicked in the Balls 9 11 minutes ago
You can reboot 3 Nintendo IPs long dormant...Which do you choose and why? 39 14 minutes ago
OMG! Sony predicts another loss this fiscal year to the tune of $2.14 BILLION 12 16 minutes ago
Semi-OT: Former MLG Gears of War pro and gamer Danny "Phobos" Zeitz was shot and killed over a ps4 he sold on craigslist 13 19 minutes ago
What are the best games on the Ps3? 25 23 minutes ago
OT: Speaking of GB, Anyone Read Captain Underpants?! 1 24 minutes ago
So I Tried My First Halo Game Yesterday 6 26 minutes ago
James Bond 24 to begin shooting soon. Projected release date November 6, 2015 26 27 minutes ago
OT: In a forum where the trolls roam freely and the console war rages, there is one last bastion of hope. Where the righteous make their final stand. They call it "the OT." 2177 27 minutes ago
Please pick my next game 55 39 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  2472
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions