Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Shin Megami Tensei IV Coming Out in Japan in May; Releasing With Limited Edition 3DS XL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2013 8:43:47 PM PST
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/19/shin-megami-tensei-iv-hits-japan-in-may-limited-edition-3ds-xl-announced/

"Shin Megami Tensei IV has a release date in Japan, and it's sooner than you might have thought. The game will be available on May 23rd, according to a Famitsu magazine report spotted at Ruliweb.

"Additionally, a limited edition Nintendo 3DS XL (pictured above) will be available on the same date with the game pre-installed. Finally, first-print copies of the game will include a "sound and art collection" bonus."

"Famitsu will be releasing one of their special 'DX' packs for Shin Megami Tensei IV as well."

==================================

That actually looks pretty cool. We saw the OOT and FE 3DS models; wonder if we'll be lucky enough for this will come over, too?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 8:53:27 PM PST
Very cool. If we get either this or the Mario version of the 3DS XL, I'd be a happy camper.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 9:34:36 PM PST
TimesTicking says:
I bet you it won't be an XL when they release the bundle.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 9:36:52 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
I would buy this bundle in a heartbeat if it gets released in the U.S.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 9:43:34 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
If this bundle gets released in the US I will definitely buy it.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 6:31:31 AM PST
Morning bump.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 6:43:37 AM PST
IPhantom says:
I've been wanting to try this series. Is it turn based tactical game play? Also, would it make sense to start with overclocked, or should I play some of the ds titles first?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 6:54:40 AM PST
Ice King says:
This looks pretty cool. I doubt we'll see it here though.
But if we do get it, will I be able to transfer all my games from my current 3DS XL and still keep the pre-installed game on the new one?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 6:59:50 AM PST
"If we do get it, will I be able to transfer all my games from my current 3DS XL and still keep the pre-installed game on the new one?"

Yes, I can confirm that works fine when transferring to a 3DS that comes with pre-installed software.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 7:06:56 AM PST
Ice King says:
Great, thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 7:15:26 AM PST
Coffee says:
Japan gets all the good stuff. Still waiting to see a Mon. Hunter Wii-U bundle come Stateside.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 7:30:30 AM PST
I'm afraid the current American naming schema is confusing. Most games with the words "Shin Megami Tensei" in them aren't part of the Shin Megami Tensei series, just part of the larger franchise that Shin Megami Tensei is part of. The series and individual titles in this franchise (which doesn't have a formal name, but is called MegaTen in Japan after the first game in the franchise) are made by the same division of Atlus, and share similar motifs--an modern/urban fantasy setting, frequently against an apocalyptic background, with the ability to fight against and recruit classical demons, gods, and other religious and mythological figures from around the world--, but otherwise are unrelated.

There are only six SMT games:
Shin Megami Tensei (SNES)
Shin Megami Tensei II (SNES)
Shin Megami Tensei if... (SNES)
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS2)
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Jouney (DS)
Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)

Up until now, there have been extremely loose plot/setting connections between these games, if any, so you don't have to worry about being left behind if you start with IV.

Other IPs in the MegaTen franchise include

The Megami Tensei series, the original two games in the franchise, based on a novel:
Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei (NES)
Megami Tensei II (NES)

The Devil Summoner series, which consists of two pairs of games. The games within each pair are closely connected, but the two pairs share only a loose connection between them:
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (Saturn) (PS1 port exists)
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Saturn) (PS1 port exists; 3DS remake exists)
Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army (PS2)
Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon (PS2)

The Persona series, which features loose connections between the four games, and also includes more anime and manga spin-offs than any other series in the franchise:
Persona (PS1) (PSP remake exists)
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PS1) (PSP remake exists)
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1)
Persona 3 (PS2) (FES: PS2 special edition; Portable: PSP port)
Persona 4 (PS2) (The Golden: PSV port)
Persona 4: Arena (PS3/360)

The Digital Devil Saga series, which are closely connected with each other (the second game is a direct sequel to the first):
Digital Devil Saga (PS2)
Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2)

The Devil Survivor series, which I believe are only loosely related to each other, if at all:
Megami Ibunroku Devil Survivor (DS) (Overclocked: 3DS port)
Devil Survivor 2 (DS)

The Last Bible series, which featured a more typical medieval fantasy setting, was aimed at a younger audience than MegaTen games usually target:
Last Bible (GBO)
Last Bible II (GBO)
Last Bible III (SNES)
Another Bible (GBO)
Last Bible Special (GG)

Devil Children, another series aimed at younger children, was made to take advantage of the Pokemon craze:
Devil Children: Black Book (GBC)
Devil Children: Red Book (GBC)
Devil Children: White Book (GBC)
Devil Children: Book of Light (GBA)
Devil Children: Book of Darkness (GBA)
Devil Children: Puzzle de Call! (GBA)
Devil Children: Book of Fire (GBA)
Devil Children: Book of Ice (GBA)
Devil Children: Messiah Riser (GBA)

Majin Tensei is a series of tactical RPGs. I believe the games are largely unrelated to each other in setting and plot:
Majin Tensei (SNES)
Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis (SNES)
Ronde (Saturn)
Majin Tensei Blind Thinker (Mobile Phone)

Other, individual IPs:
Jack Bros (Virtual Boy)
Shin Megami Tensei NINE (Xbox)
Megami Tensei Online IMAGINE (PC)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions