Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Dane Cook's show canceled before it aired

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 89 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:48:45 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
Oh, I see know. I agree with that as I was unaware of any sort of facet of Atheism that involved reincarnation - as anything. I mean - it's obvious what he is stating - but I suppose there is no argument against it being ignorant. Like I said - his rendition of the face sneeze was the part I laughed at the most.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:28:22 PM PST
But there's a difference there. He's extrapolating about something that just doesn't work! I have no issue with a joke coming from a jerk sneezing in his face, that's fine, but going on about how an atheist is going to be reincarnated as a tree and then be cut down and turned into paper to print a Bible on is just so insanely ignorant, on purpose I imagine, and just non-sensical that it ruins the whole joke.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:22:19 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
Tis the reason indeed. I don't think its like a fantastic joke or anything...I mean this is no:

"Do you like fish-sticks?"

"Yes"

"Do you like putting fish-sticks in your mouth"

"Yes"

"What are you, a gay fish?"

I mean - that is genius. No arguing that. The bible tree Atheist joke is not a side splitter but it's just a stupid little rip about some a-hole sneezing in his face...some find it funny - some don't.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:18:02 PM PST
But the Bible Tree Atheist part is the reason for the joke! It shows how freaking ignorant he really is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:16:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 2:20:12 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
It's not for everyone man. Yes, when he tells it, and does his whole deal (the part where he describes the guy absolutely sneezing in his face is what makes me laugh the most, just the way he does it - not the bible tree atheist part).

Oh, and the whole "it doesn't make sense at all". I mean, I assume most of you have heard him tell the joke, I didn't exactly quote verbatim. I feel the point of the "joke" is pretty clear though, as far as it making sense. Whether or not you find it funny is another matter.

Guy rudely sneezes in face - you are polite enough to say God Bless You (common courtesy) - guy discounts this courtesy saying he is an atheist - Dane concocts some ridiculous retort in response to the disregarded courtesy - nothin much to it...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:15:18 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
Exactly. No connection whatsoever - except for some sort of unseen Universal Parallel that caused my mention of Mitch effing Hedberg to illicit the mention of Dane Cook from some other moron. Hedberg is indeed absolutely hilarious. I never understood why bringing him up led to Cook...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:37:26 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
It prolly helped that that part didn't require acting, just for him to be his jackarse self.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:33:59 PM PST
Mel says:
I know it's like...
"you go girlfriend?" snap snap twist

hahahaha, my kind of humor

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:24:41 PM PST
Nope. It's just as stupid as you'd imagine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:22:47 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
"The guy sneezing in his face and Dane saying God bless you, not bless you, but God Bless You. Only to have the guy respond that he is an atheist, then Dane going on saying he, as an Atheist, probably believes in reincarnation and wants to come back in the next life as a tree. And that he hopes that he comes back as a tree, grows into a big azz mo fo tree, then it gets cut down and turned into paper that the Bible gets printed on."

That sounds really stupid. I mean, it makes no sense at all. The premise is just f---ed.

I guess when you hear Dane tell it, with all his yelling and spastic movements and running around on stage, it just takes off, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:19:54 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
Why would people make the connection from Hedberg to Cook?

I can't imagine two more different comics. For one thing, Hedberg is f'ing hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:20:20 AM PST
Anthony says:
I like Tosh's stand up, but i've never liked the show.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:37:55 AM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
That is good. These days you can't be too sure whether or not someone possesses an opinion just because every one else has the same one.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:24:23 AM PST
"It seems popular to not like Dane Cook."
I remember hearing his name a lot and wondering who he was. Then I got the chance to see some clips of him doing stand-up. People were laughing. I was puzzled. My reaction had nothing to do with trendy opinions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:18:40 AM PST
Mel says:
My favorite family Guy skit is that kevin bacon is not in footloose
sums up humanity fairly well

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:13:23 AM PST
Soulshine says:
"The best part of this news is that Jeffrey Tambor played a supporting character on Next Caller and is now free to devote more time to Arrested Development's new season."

I did like that part.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:10:37 AM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
I really liked Curb Your Enthusiasm for a while there.

The goal of each episode was extreme awkwardness... It would get weird after watching it a while - but always made me laugh.

South Park vs. Family Guy is a no-brainer to me. South Park is monumentally better than Family Guy because of the writing. South Park has a way better use of character development. Randy Marsh is a perfect example of this. He is the funniest one on the show.

The Mysterion episodes were also hilarious for this. Kenny's secret power is that he cannot die. He is killed right in front of his friends in a thousand ways, but the next day wakes up, laying in his bed.

"Even after getting decapitated in front of you guys, in the morning I'm in my bed, and you guys are like, what's up dude - like nothing happened."

The Shake Weight episode of South Park? The Insheeption episode? Absolutely hilarious.

Family Guy is completely random. It is funny indeed. Stewey and Brian are the funniest. But I think South Park is always out on top.

My favorite Family Guy skit is between Stewey and Brian and they both have walkey talkies and Stewey is lowering a line of electrical wire between the dry wall from the floor above. He keeps commanding Brian to say over when hes finished speaking on the walkey. Super funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:04:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 7:04:47 AM PST
Mel says:
sp and family guy go back and forth on who is funniest

95%+ funny
Metalocalypse
Always Sunny
South park
Family guy

50% funny
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Robot Chicken

never funny
Dane cook (worse than jersey shore)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Tosh

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:01:25 AM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
The first two seasons were genuinely funny to me but man oh man is that formula beginning to sour.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:00:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 7:00:45 AM PST
now if somebody can get tosh off the air that would be perfect

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:59:31 AM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
wtf indeed. I don't see the far fetched grasping aspect you insinuate. I've never seen him live, but the standups I've seen are funny.

They guy yelling at his lady about who bought the noodles, the dad with the small towel on getting up from the couch, him taking his dad to where Benson's Animal Farm used to be - those made me laugh.

The guy sneezing in his face and Dane saying God bless you, not bless you, but God Bless You. Only to have the guy respond that he is an atheist, then Dane going on saying he, as an Atheist, probably believes in reincarnation and wants to come back in the next life as a tree. And that he hopes that he comes back as a tree, grows into a big azz mo fo tree, then it gets cut down and turned into paper that the Bible gets printed on.

That stuff is funny.

Its all opinion though man:

South Park is funnier than Family guy to me - you agree?

I like Metalocalypse, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Robot Chicken - do you like that stuff?

It's Always Sunny (seasons 1-5) is way funnier than The League has ever been. You agree? - I wouldn't be surprised if some do not.

Jersey Shore is the lamest, most un-funny thing ever conceived on television. Everyone agree with that?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:51:35 AM PST
Mel says:
wtf, dane cook made you laugh?

I felt ripped off going to one of his shows and the tickets were free

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:49:19 AM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
If Dane Cook is regarded in the "comedy circle" as an idiot, and seems to be at the brunt of many a joke himself, for whatever various reasons, (rich jerk younger brother in Step Brothers likes him), that means I should also not laugh at him then - right?

The few stand ups of his are pretty damn funny. They make me laugh. End of story. It seems popular to not like Dane Cook. He is funny in "Waiting". "Waiting" is a funny as hell movie, see that shit if you have not.

I will admit that at the time I did not know any of his material, but was really into Mitch Hedberg, every time I brought up Hedberg someone would, without fail, say, ohhhh do you like Dane Cook? That would annoy me very much so.

Dane Cook is funny. The hate you guys throw around for him and claims he steals jokes seems a bit more fitting to that monumental d-bag Carlos Mencia. The fact that Comedy Central actually made that guy any money is a freakin marvel to me and a testament to the decline of our society.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:46:47 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Here's how I imagine that interview went:

Jim Breuer: Dane Cook gesticulates wildly and only dudebros like him. He's rubberfaced and his comedy is lazy. And he yells a lot, even and especially when his jokes aren't really funny.

Interviewer: Um... have you ever seen yourself perform?

Jim Breuer: No. I'm always to HIGH ON WEED and my eyelids are too droopy FROM ALL THE WEED to see anything ON WEED. Right guys? Remember when I was in Half Baked? *goatboy noise*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:39:51 AM PST
Mel says:
YES YES YES
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  89
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions