Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

THQ Filing Bankruptcy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 12:56:13 PM PST
Kin-foot says:
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/thq-bankruptcy-sale/

Guess the Humble Bundle didn't help them as much as they needed.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:58:19 PM PST
Agreed, I knew some folks that used to work for them. I'm honestly not surprised. They've been trimming IPs and cancelling a lot of projects internally. They described it as a company that's existing day by day and grooming itself solely as a company to be bought by another gaming company. Wonder if that will happen now...

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:59:22 PM PST
They filed for bankruptcy as part of a purchasing agreement. See this thread for details:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/video%20games/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1T1DM93QU4XL1&cdThread=Tx32HTBZR4JX6N3

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:04:43 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
So much for Darksiders III...

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:11:24 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Damnit, I wanted Darksiders III

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:13:08 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Watch Nintendo snatch it up from Vigil as a first-party exclusive...

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:14:07 PM PST
tjm01572 says:
what about the SR 3 DLC that was canxd to make it into SR 4? they should release it now as DLC!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:14:34 PM PST
THQ has a financial backer, Darksiders III is still possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:17:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 1:17:29 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Why wouldn't you see Darksiders 3? If I were another publisher I'd snatch that studio and franchise up. Same for Saints Row and their developers.

Edit: Dang, ninja'd. That's what I get for reading other threads then making a reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:25:51 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
That would be amazing, between DS and Bayonetta I would be glad to get a WiiU

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:33:23 PM PST
Finger says:
Yeah we were just talking about this a few weeks ago. A venture firm swinging in for a relatively speedy profit seemed inevitable. I'm not surprised that nobody would be interested in THQ pre-bankruptcy. Getting their debt cleared through chapter 11 (finally) makes their assets valuable again.

Sucks for gamers, but awful for the poor THQ employees. I hate to hear stories like this.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:43:07 PM PST
If you read the whole statement they basically had to file for bankruptcy so they can be bought. There are already buyers in play.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:43:34 PM PST
Lyrick_ says:
It's a shame that the majority of their profit came from children oriented license based titles (1), especially since kids these day only seem to play GTA, Halo and CoD.

It's pretty cool that they have some financing worked out to finish current titles, I'm pretty excited about Metro 2033: Last Light and I know a lot of people are looking forward to South Park: The Stick of Truth.

(1)http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-thq-bankruptcy-20121219,0,156382.story

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:50:41 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Ars Technica's article mentions that there's no planned layoffs for the studios. Good news for the developers at least. If they're telling the truth, that is. We all know how often corporations give us honest answers.

"Despite the announcement, THQ assured stockholders that all its studios remain open, without any planned layoffs. Development on current projects such as Metro: Last Light and Company of Heroes 2 will continue."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:55:43 PM PST
Finger says:
You're right, those promises are worthless. But whether they've announced layoffs or not, this sort of thing really hits employees and their families hard. Huge transformations resulting from a sale are inevitable, and who knows whether any of them will have jobs in 6 months. Especially right around the Holidays, this kind of news must really hurt.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:59:18 PM PST
Yeah, Saints Row 3 was a HUGE success. I will be surprised if no one buys this out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions