Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U! AC3; ZombiU; NSMBU; Sonic kart racing impressions.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2012 5:21:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 5:31:43 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Man, I really like this system. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and being able to use the Game pad to play games on it has to be the coolest thing ever. It's like the evolution of the PSOne I had way back when with the system attached to the screen.

ZombiU: Game is great. Intense even. I am still at the beginning, as I just got the nod to go to Buckingham palace, but I'm still playing as the first survivor. I don't like that the game tries so hard with survival horror, and then throws about 12-15 zombies at you and forces you to fight them. That was kind of lame. Other than that it's been a blast.

NSMBU: Not much to say here, got past the first dungeon. Star Coins are really hard to find in this game, not just out in the open. It's in HD. Other than that, it's a NSMB game. The sound in this game from the game pad is FANTASTIC! I wish that AC3 sounded this good because when AC3 is played on just the game pad the sound is really low even at max volume.

Sonic: This game is brutally difficult even in the medium class races. I scraped by in both races I won with only a half a second difference between me and 2nd place. They even have a trophy for it. There isn't a nice progression of difficulty between the classes because on easy, you can lap them, and on normal you just barely beat them, and both times it was a come from behind win at the very last second. I can't even imagine how brutal hard would be. I'm not a fan of this game. The karts are very floaty in this game and don't have much weight, in any form. Flying is particularly hard.

AC3: Easily the game that I have been playing the most. The story is fantastic, the setting is amazing. The graphics are pretty top notch. There have been a lot more stealth sections in this game than I remember in 1 or 2, but the time between desynching and retrying has been GREATLY reduced so it doesn't hurt as much when you fail at a mission. The gameplay in this game is so great, so much fun. I love just running around and killing many, many Brits. I'll stalk a group of 9 redcoats until they pass by about 4-8 other Brits just standing around and talking and then I'll pounce and drop all of them in the most badass of ways. It's utterly incredible. Picking up weapons off the ground is so easy that I will routinely disarm a Brit then pick up his own weapon and shoot him with it, stab the next guy, swap weapons for one that still is loaded and drop another guy. Words cannot explain just how incredible this game really is. I still have no idea why I'm playing as the guy I'm playing as, but the journey is so much fun right now. I'm in Sequence 3 I think: I have to shadow Washington (I desynced the first time because I didn't realize who he was, and I killed him). Such a fantastic game. One of the best of the year. It's like I have that AC2 feeling all over again.

I also added a couple friends: Aku and Gamersq. I sent requests to Punk and Keji.

My Nintendo ID is MrFoxhound.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 5:45:50 AM PST
JWK says:
Thanks, Fox. I'm sort of saddened to hear that Transforming isn't better. I may have to just buy the original on 360.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:30:53 AM PST
P. Oyer says:
My first survivor died on the first zombie. I overestimated the range of the bat and whiffed my first swing. Then for some reason I assumed the second swing connecting would kill it... So I didn't start a third swing in time or really maneuver to avoid the mauling.

I also was stupidly dropping just about everything on the ground because I thought the hand on the loot screen was to "pick up" things... Didn't figure out my mistake until I got to the market. Figure I've lost around 10 bullets and a few food items.

ZombiU is great. The beginning is a tutorial, but it is vague enough that you still get to make mistakes and learn on your own... Like a real game.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:34:00 AM PST
Keller says:
I think I need to rent Zombi U, never seen a game get so many mixed reviews. Seems to be a love or hate type game. Giant Bomb loved it.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:34:03 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Glad you're liking AC3, it's probably my favorite of the series now.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:34:47 AM PST
Would you recommend getting ACIII on the WiiU or PS3?

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:36:08 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Does AC3 on WiiU have achievements/trophies?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:38:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 7:42:13 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
If the Wii U version lets you look at the map on the GamePad without pausing, I'd definitely say that's the way to go, ha. Seriously, though, I love the game, but all the menu stuff (on PS3/360) is probably my least favorite part. If the Wii U makes that stuff more accessible, that's the ticket.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:39:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 7:41:26 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Sorry, I misread your post. When you play on the TV, the gamepad displays your map all the time during game play.

@Flawless, I haven't played it on the PS3, sorry.

@Strider, I don't think so. I don't remember seeing any in game trophies pop up yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:41:58 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Glad you are liking it, I'm hoping to get one early next year.

Sonic Transformed is one of the hardest racers I've ever played, it's not quite F-Zero GX territory, but it is damn close. I've beaten all of the races I have unlocked on hard, but it took me several tries. Can't even come close to doing those boost challenges on hard, I don't even want to know what Expert is like.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:43:58 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I didn't even see it pre-edit, but I changed my post to make it a bit more clear. Glad to hear that's how it functions with the GamePad. I figured they'd do that, and it's a great use in this case. I'm wondering if all the crafting menus and all that will also show up on the GamePad screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:44:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 7:45:57 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Wow, there is an expert mode too? The first boost challenge I did on easy, I failed, lol. I'm going to stick it out though because it's a launch title and there isn't much else to play, plus I really like the look of the game and the subject matter. Seems they went from too easy in the first game to too hard in the sequel.

I still have Darksiders 2 sitting around and I'm debating Scribblenauts and Batman for Xmas. I also barely put any time into Nintendo Land.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:45:01 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Shame that way points can't be added though without pausing.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:47:04 AM PST
Might pick it up on the Wii U then since you can constantly view the map and check inventory. I love the concepts that the Wii U has developed I just hope other 3rd party devs use it to their advantage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:48:27 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Apparently so, I don't think Expert unlocks until you clear the single player mode. Yeah man, the boost challenges are insane, I've barely scraped by on normal. It's a really good game, but it's way too hard for the audience they are going for. The tracks are awesome, they clearly have much love for SEGA. Agreed, the first game was super easy, this one is just crazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:48:54 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
They trolled us good, Ben.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:50:55 AM PST
Yesterday a man was in best buy looking for another game pad to buy. Can you use two game pads at the same time? I thought you could only use one and then either the pro pad or the wii controllers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:51:26 AM PST
Benpachi says:
They really did, guess they took everyone's criticism to heart when people complained that the first game was too easy. Kart racers are supposed to be easy, dammit!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:54:41 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Nintendo added support for 2 game pads maximum at the same time, it was one of the last major changes right before launch; however, Nintendo isn't selling the game pads in NA yet, and they don't have any games that would even use 2 game pads.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:58:02 AM PST
Sars says:
I have only played zombie u out of the games that you listed. I only made it to the first fast travel spot but i agree the game is great. excited to play more of it

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:59:59 AM PST
P. Oyer says:
I think for ACIII you have to weigh PS3 exclusive Benedict Arnold missions versus WiiU exclusive gamepad maps. Otherwise the games are supposed to be identical.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:09:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 8:09:58 AM PST
Jawwaad says:
Add me to your Friend List Fox. My ID is Jawwaad127. Send me a request to see if I get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:09:45 AM PST
Glad to hear Assassin's Creed III turned out well on the Wii-U, I almost picked that one up but I'm waiting for the PC price to come down since I've been playing the franchise there now.

I kind of liked that section in ZombiU where they threw a bunch of zombies are you after sending you on that supply run. I remember coming back thinking "Heck yes I've got too much stuff!" only to come crawling back into that shelter a few minutes later bleeding and running low on supplies lol. The one thing that section taught me though was use your surroundings to your advantage. If a zombie is on the ground hold your right trigger so you'll swing harder and kill them instantly. Crawl over stuff and under stuff to slow the zombies down and force them into positions that make them easier to kill. You're gonna have to fight in this game and that was a great learning experience (in my eyes) on how to juggle a large group.

Mario I've been having some serious fun and agree with you on the Star Coins. I've gone back through a few levels trying to find them already and I'm finding myself searching high and low. Reminds me of Super Mario World in a lot of ways. My one complaint though is that the game gives out extra lives and coins to get you extra lives as if they were going out of style. By the time I beat the first area I had over 20 guys so while some of the courses are providing a decent enough challenge I never quite feel the pressure of the difficulty because I've got a stock pile of lives that would last me through the Zombie Apocalypse lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:21:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 8:24:54 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Hey, Keji, did you get my friend invite? (EDIT: I saw your reply in the Official Wii U ID thread)

Yeah, I guess that was the point of it, but playing that section took me right back to the boss fights in Deus Ex, just too out of place for my tastes. I can understand if I aggroed a lot of zombies, but the game just threw them at you. I did have about 30 bullets, and the first time I even fired my gun was in that section.

I like that sleeping heals you, no one said anything about that in the reviews that I read. I'm not really a fan of Zombies taking more than one headshot though. With no helmet I was having to fire two or three bullets into their heads before they stayed down. It would be nice if there was a sweeping move too that would allow the user to drop a zombie to initiate that finisher. I was climbing over and under stuff to force zombies into advantageous situations for me. You really don't have any time at all to perform that finisher before the zombie is up again.

@Jawwaad, will do.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 8:29:10 AM PST
jtshiel says:
This is so difficult. I still don't know whether to get a Vita or Wii U.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Expendables 3 leaks 3 weeks early, DVD quality 3 5 minutes ago
OT: I'm tired of being harassed on this forum 14 6 minutes ago
OT: This makes me sad 3 8 minutes ago
The Last of Us: Remastered features higher quality shadows at 30fps than 60fps 14 18 minutes ago
Why are Sonymites so suicidal? 1 20 minutes ago
Sony to pony up $15 million to settle class action lawsuit over 2011 PSN hacking. 10 22 minutes ago
WiiU ID Exchange 210 25 minutes ago
OT: Walmart's Ice Cream Sandwiches Don't Melt In The Sun 7 26 minutes ago
OT: Why is Cinema Fan such a sour puss? 14 27 minutes ago
OT: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them 250 27 minutes ago
OT: Nutzu, why haven't you posted about the 80 year old man who shot the pregnant thief in the back? 178 29 minutes ago
Worst PS4/XOne/Wii U game you've played thus far? 58 29 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 21, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions