Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Pachter picks Microsoft to win next console generation

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 112 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2013 8:19:28 PM PDT
http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/10/pachter-picks-microsoft-to-win-next-console-generation/

In a presentation at SXSW this weekend, industry analyst Michael Pachter gave his forecast for the next generation, picking Microsoft as a big winner; proving optimistic on Sony's behalf; and expressing doubst about Nintendo.

In a slide shared by Geoff Keighley, Pachter summarised his thoughts. Although Microsoft is yet to reveal its Xbox 360 successor, codenamed Durango, the analyst believes a couple of unconfirmed features will keep it at the top of the US console market.

"Microsoft wins the next generation. The TV tuner and Skype are killer apps," he said.

Meanwhile, the PlayStation 4 will do quite well, Pachter said, but Nintendo's on shakier ground.

"Sony thrives in the next generation. Still playing catch-up, but Gaikai and content are huge advantages," he said.

"Nintendo software still king but console hardware sales will be challenged. Handheld hardware sales will lose share to smartphones and tablets."

Pachter said we're unlikely to see any more publisher bankruptcies in the coming generation, but some companies may consolidate.

"The PC as gaming device will make a comeback", he added, which, given the upcoming launch of the first Steam box as well as the growing market for hardcore and indie games, seems pretty likely.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:20:08 PM PDT
So there you go folks...Pachter has spoken

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:31:29 PM PDT
Let the anti-microsoft thread commence.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:37:54 PM PDT
Pick 34 says:
A tv tuner and Skype is what he picks as the 360s killer features? Jeez I hope ms comes out guns blazing and shows some new exclusives. The only way the tv thing works is if it's a la carte and Skype is on everything under the sun.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:40:22 PM PDT
John McClane says:
Sonymites: Code Red!

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:44:45 PM PDT
K Archer says:
I wonder what would happen if the rumors of no used games and always-online are true...well, as far as this article goes anyway, I'm sure we know what would happen...

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:45:22 PM PDT
Zak Iarih says:
Keighley and Pachter?! ...yeaaa

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:47:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 10:28:27 PM PDT
I love my Xbox but* Skype??? Come on

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:50:08 PM PDT
J. Pardee says:
TV Tuner and Skype could indeed be nice on the 720 but I can't see people buying the system just for that when pretty much anything with a camera works with Skype now. I am pro Sony and even I hope Microsoft isn't trying to skimp out on good games in place of other things.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 8:52:33 PM PDT
K Archer says:
First thing they need to do (seriously) is stop pushing the Kinect...give up, its not working! Go back to actually getting good games on the console and not this crap they keep adding...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 9:00:50 PM PDT
Wtf, I thought we made a no Pachter rule?!?!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 9:18:35 PM PDT
pure comedy gold. Hard to resist, sorry

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 9:30:33 PM PDT
Damn, Pachter really hates Nintendo doesn't he? The handheld market had lost some share because of smartphones and tablets but the 3DS has over 10 titles that have sold over a million and several that are slightly below that mark. The dedicated gaming handheld market will be just fine.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 9:42:20 PM PDT
I. Flores says:
Microsoft's doom confirmed.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 9:56:35 PM PDT
user22 says:
Put a sock in it, Pachter.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:06:44 PM PDT
In other words, Sony will win.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:16:11 PM PDT
aidenraine says:
I'm sure sony/microsoft won't deviate much from how they've been doing this gen, but nintendo will have another gamecube on their hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:43:59 PM PDT
Dukeshire says:
Dude, I am going to walk around nude and broadcast it via my Kinect....or Skype or whatever. I hope there is Chat Roulette! I would pay for Live just for that. I am going to work on my handle in anticipation of its release.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 11:20:00 PM PDT
Aw, that's cute. All the Sony friends downvoted my post.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 4:00:27 AM PDT
Something tells me they'll wish they had another GameCube on their hand. Honestly I'm worried for them.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 4:12:10 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
Good news for Sony, and great news for Nintendo.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 4:16:57 AM PDT
Fap says:
God, I hope this guy doesn't get paid much...

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 4:23:37 AM PDT
klopas says:
Pachter, the VGF's most beloved celebrity.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 5:18:51 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
TV tuner and Skype huh? All my gaming prayers have been answered

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 5:30:32 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
I despise Microsoft right now. I'm tired of all the DLC coming out on their crappy console first. I guess they have to do that though so people can pay for the DLC before they get RROD. Eff MS. I can't wait for them to leave this industry.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  112
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions