Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

VGF Tabletop RPG thread; looking for guinea pigs, I have cookies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:24:39 PM PST
Neutral is someone who just follows their instinctive responses. Think of a wild animal today. They have no ulterior motives and plans, they just go after what they want to go after. It can be good, or bad; makes no difference. it's human intelligence(lol) that makes true neutrality difficult to comprehend because we let misconceptions of right and wrong guide us away from where nature is trying to lead us.

And this is my RP True Neutral speech defending their beliefs. It actually kinda holds up if you look at it in this perspective.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:48:33 PM PST
Have to say, I'm enjoying reading through this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:20:20 PM PST
That doesn't really account for true neutrality, though, only neutrality on the good or evil metric. I mean, even in nature (I know technically all natural animals are supposed to be TN in D&D), you have animals that are by nature ordered and societally "minded," and others that are by nature incredibly capricious, changing behavior and goals by the day, even the hour.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:31:59 PM PST
DVvM says:
Monstrous classes?

Do you mean monstrous races (as in anything other than the 7 standard races)? Or is this something I haven't discovered yet.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 7:35:14 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
By my mind, true neutrality is uncaring impartiality. A good example of that would be the goddess Istus in Greyhawk. Grey, cold, uncaring, detached, impartial.
It is nearly impossible to play that IMO, which is also why the 2.0 restrictions on Druid alignment was removed in later editions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:39:47 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, the one thing about "uncaring impartiality" is that even if you can roleplay it correctly, it doesn't make for very interesting roleplaying.

"Do we save the town from goblins or slink away and avoid combat?"
*Shrug*
"Do we turn in the smugglers to the authorities?"
*Shrug*
"We saved the damsel from the dragon, but she doesn't want to go back to her father, who is paying us. What say ye?"
"Eh... whatever"

And so on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:44:19 PM PST
Well it's not really that, either. I mean, that would also fall under TN, but a TN is just somebody who is neither motivated by law, chaos, good, or evil, nor typically does lawful, chaotic, good, or evil acts; or somebody who is motivated by those qualities or performs those acts in largely equal measure with their opposites. I'd say the majority of the human race irl actually fits into either lawful neutral or true neutral, with a substantial number falling into chaotic neutral, and a relatively small percentage falling into the good and evil alignments.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:46:01 PM PST
Oh, how do you want to handle stat generation? Buy-in or dice?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:49:10 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
I would say that is correct inasmuch as people have "tendencies", wherein they lean in a direction but arent wholly that. Neutral with good tendencies, for example.
To add further to the confusion is the example of Lord Robilar, as portrayed in Return to Castle Greyhawk. LE except when dealing with adventurers, who he is N to due to his fondness for adventurers of all alignments.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:54:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 7:54:55 PM PST
I would say his alignment is always LE, in that case, and that he just has priorities that cause him to act differently under certain circumstances. As another example of that sort of thing, I have a knight who's inherently NG, but usually acts LN because it's his job to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:59:38 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Perhaps. It is an interesting point to ponder.
I personally lean towards CN/CG characters myself, although I have been told my best characters are LG clerics...probably because the entire concept of a LG cleric is so opposed to my own real life alignment/beliefs that it makes for a good role playing experience, lol.

However, some games dont rely on alignment, such as Rifts, and so your choices arent necessarily as restricted.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:00:10 PM PST
DVvM says:
I want to get started making characters, how are we generating stats? Point buy is fairest (you can do the math yourself so you know nobody is fudging the dice rolls) but how many points?

Speaking of suspect dice rolls, I honest to goodness just rolled a 14, 17, 18, 17, 13, 11 on a 6x4d6 drop lowest. I wish I could use that (STR, CON, WIS are my dump stats, clearly.)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:12:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 8:13:40 PM PST
It'd also be good to get a feel for what sort of classes we're thinking of choosing to get an idea about party balance.

Of course, we could always try to beat Chaos with four white mages, I suppose.

EDIT:
I'm kind of leaning towards a rogue-ish class right now, though I'm pretty open to filling any party role.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:15:27 PM PST
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

This has everything the rulebooks have minus the illustrations. I think the only current book not there is the equipment one. If Daft will allow uncommon races and different class archetypes, the Ultimate Combat and Advanced Race Guide have a lot of fun ideas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:17:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 8:21:30 PM PST
DVvM says:
I was leaning towards a aasimar charlatan, a changeling scroll scoundrel, or a gnomish gunslinger.

Give me more time to read, and I will come up with 400 more concepts though.

If this is going to be combat heavy, let me know. I should probably know that before making STR, DEX, and CON my dump stats.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:18:42 PM PST
I prefer rolls, personally. I like the randomness, since in point buy I tend to always buy the same way for a given class. That said, I definitely get where you're coming from with the dice fudging. Even I've given into that with NPCs.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:19:25 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Leaning in Ranger/Sorcerer direction, but I'm also cool with whatever.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:22:38 PM PST
I haven't done a lot of reading yet, though I'm liking the vishkanya deadly courtesan rogue archetype as a general outline. I've also been wanting to try the factotum from 3.5 for a long time, though I've never gotten around to creating a character concept for it.

What's a scroll scoundrel?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:25:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 8:28:33 PM PST
DVvM says:
Scroll scoundrel is a rogue archetype: "The scroll scoundrel is a rogue archetype that relies on cunning and quick wits to stay alive. He excels in exploiting overconfidence and predictability, using knowledge he's gained from his extensive research and field experience combined with hearsay and recent observations to react to problems as soon as they arise with swift but unnaturally accurate guesswork. "

Speaking of chargen, nobody ever complains about the old Dark Sun system: Roll 5d4 six times, and replace one roll that's 12 or greater with 16.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:34:53 PM PST
I've never tried it, but I'll go ahead and complain about it on the principle that the average score is higher than 4d6D1 by 0.26 points. Totally unfair advantage.

Just, you know. To be an ass.

(Actually it looks pretty cool.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:40:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 8:43:09 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, the idea behind it is that the Dark Sun setting is really harsh, and really only those who are considerably above average in some respects survive into adulthood to become eligible to be PCs.

Players always like it because it usually results in quite good stats (I just rolled a 13, 14, 11, 16, 13, 20, so replace a 13 with a 16 and put that 20 in one of your racially modified skills to start with a 22 in something, and immediately you're really awesome at something or other.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:46:08 PM PST
I just got a 12, 12, 18, 13, 17, 11 (so replace one of the 12s with a 16, I suppose). Not too shabby at all; though the chance for an unmodified 20 at level one seems like it could give you a pretty unbalancing beginning, as geared as D&D is towards 18 being the cream of the crop. I'd have to see it in practise, I guess, and I'm sure the difference becomes relatively negligible at later levels.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:46:34 PM PST
I'm personally a fan of point buy, myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:52:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 8:56:33 PM PST
DVvM says:
I have no real issue with point buy, as it's kind of how most other RPGs do things (so everybody's character has the same potential power at the beginning.)

But the problem with is that it's sort of min-maxtastic, since people end up dumping their dump stats hard.

e.g. "I'm a half-orc Barbarian, I'll set my INT, WIS, and CHA really low so I have more points for STR and CON".

You run into balance issues running a campaign when a few people want to be really focused on doing one of two things really well, and everybody else tries to do a bunch of things pretty well. This is why I always banned fighters and wizards in 3.0 when I GMed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:59:18 PM PST
Heh, my dwarf is a Sorcerer. So I had an extra few CHA points to put in to make it work, but I love the bonuses dwarves get for CON and poison/spell/spell-like resistances.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  2472
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  9 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions