Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

VGF Tabletop RPG thread; looking for guinea pigs, I have cookies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 2467 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 15, 2012 4:37:25 PM PST
These generators are great. Check out this treasure generator for 3.5e:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/generate_treasure.php?do=treasure

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:00:52 PM PST
I actually have no idea what vent is other than some sort of chat program.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:03:09 PM PST
It's a chat program, that's about it.

www.ventrilo.com runs on a mac as well I believe.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:10:28 PM PST
Vent also has a typical chat room if you're not into the whole talking on a mic thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:13:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 5:13:39 PM PST
DVvM says:
Which I'm not as I have no headset, working speakers, or microphone! The headphone jack is also hit or miss.

Also, I'm very shy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:16:19 PM PST
I know. This is specifically why I mentioned the chat room before you brought up that you wouldn't be comfortable talking on a mic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:19:08 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Shy except when your half-orc barbarian charges into a group of oncoming gnolls. Then, it's all bloodthirst and rage. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:23:55 PM PST
I hope that you'll be able to listen in at least as one of the reasons I like tabletop games is to hear the interplay between characters and in-game arguments and I would think that typing in a chat room would loose some of that. Still, regardless, it wouldn't be the same if you didn't join because you can't speak. I also understand shyness, and regardless of believing that not one of us would be malicious towards you, you're still fully welcome and wanted. You'll be among friends.

I know that I'm probably phrasing this whole post badly, but please read it as how I'm meaning and not how it might possibly be construed. I want you in this game as I truly believe that you can bring something to it. Heck, everyone who is posting here looks like they'll add something to the mix regardless of what some might believe. I don't care if someone has some rusty skills, it'll come back. If there's some who don't have any or little knowledge of how this stuff works, heck we've all been there.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:01:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 6:02:06 PM PST
Okay, this did not occur to me until just now, and I'm sorry.

For anyone who wants to buy the books, use the website. You can buy PDFs of all of the books for $10 each. So PDFs of Core, Advanced, UltCom, Advanced Race, and UltMag will cost a total of $50, and the hardcover of the Core costs close to that anyway. I love having the books, but I've also gotten them over the last couple of years and split the costs with my brother, I know they can be expensive.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:04:17 PM PST
Hey, Daft, can we get a feel for the setting? I'd like to know what sort of backstory elements would make sense before I start setting things too hard and fast with my character concepts.

I may already have gotten that far with one of them, actually.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:20:31 PM PST
Could you send the info to zmyouken@gmail.com?

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:48:05 PM PST
For my ranger, I'm going with a skirmisher. It replaces the divine spells a ranger gets with tricks that can help myself or party members.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/coreClasses/ranger.html

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:25:22 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
I believe I will go with an Oracle of Lore with the Clouded Vision curse.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:22:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 10:43:40 PM PST
DVvM says:
I'm thinking it might make the most sense for me (from a "not having to roll up a new character immediately") to choose the zen archer template for the monk class.

It's not necessarily as thematically awesome as the kung fu monk, but when you have 9 HP...

In which case I would want to choose "Mist Child" in lieu of "Hulking".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:21:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 7:22:22 AM PST
Sure, but I'm going to post here so those who are interested can see what the starting characters will find out very quickly.

The King is Dead. Long live the King.

In the land of Kholistair, dark things are stirring. On the eve of signing a peace treaty with neighboring duchy Veris, to be finalized with the marriage between the King's youngest son and Duke Gistalt's only daughter, disaster struck. The King found murdered in his state room with stationed guards not noticing anything amiss, and his wife by his side in a magical slumber. Duke Veris Gistalt escaping from the castle in fear that he would be suspected of the betrayal.

Looking for brave adventures to help try to hold the small kingdom together while discovering the evil that killed the King and has enslaved the Queen in a magical sleep that, heretofore, has been unable to be lifted.

Setting:

Small kingdom approx 200 leagues across the breadth. Surrounding kingdoms of north side Ajur and Vhaliste are at war with one another and if either one were to seize Kholistair it would tip the balance their way. Also bordered by previously mentioned independent Duchy Veris who has managed to stay out of regional conflict by some unknown means.

Rugged terrain, dotted with small villages. Towards the southern edge lies a wooded area known as the Dark Green, widely believed to be a host to unnatural terrors that feed upon unwary travelers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:04:12 AM PST
Would slavery be a relatively common feature in this or nearby cultures? The character concept I'm leaning most towards right now is a runaway slave.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 10:19:57 AM PST
Slavery isn't legal in Kholistair, but a 'draft' is in effect in Ajur and Vhaliste where it isn't uncommon for peasants over the age of 14 to be forced to enlist. Usually by threat of death of family.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:06:49 AM PST
Sounds cool.

Knowing a little more about the world I'll work on my backstory tonight.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 11:17:12 AM PST
Daft, have you had a chance to look at the Race Guide yet?

Every race has its own traits, with the option to take alternate traits. These alternates replace, rather than add to, standard traits. How do you feel about allowing some of these alternate traits?

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 11:17:55 AM PST
This sounds like it could be a lot of fun but I don't know about the whole over the internet thing. I'd love to join in but I haven't done anything like this in a good ten years (damn I feel old...) so I'd probably drag the group down not understanding the rules or at the very least trying to remember. Hell I don't even have a complete dice set anymore (just some D20s and such for Magic the Gathering).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:19:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 11:19:58 AM PST
It's been over a decade for myself as well. Fret not!

Check out roll20.net

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:25:39 AM PST
You're not gonna sell me into slavery again are you?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:26:34 AM PST
I think it will work. A lot of the features we would use a table for are on that site.

I think DV and I are actually the only people here who still play, and I've only been able to do so intermittently over the last couple of years. It took us a good year to get through a campaign with only 32 pages, and I only do 1-2 sessions a month at my local comic store depending on work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:37:38 AM PST
I'm checking out Roll20.net and it actually looks pretty good. I may have to get in on this actually. I read over just a little bit of this and then jumped in with a post. I was envisioning all of us sitting on Skype trying to coordinate everything and it just ending with us going "So who wants to play Left 4 Dead 2?"

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 12:56:36 PM PST
I have been looking a lot into the alt traits, and I can see no reason the players could incorporate them. I've finished the main plot outline for what I expect to take up the first 3 or 4 sessions, so I'm going to be fleshing out the NPC's backgrounds soon. We've still got a couple of weeks before I'm going to start trying to tie down a start date, so everyone oughta have plenty of time to fill in their backstory. Please give me something to play with when you do as I try to incorporate your history into plot arches to make the sessions more impacting on a personal level. I abhor cookie cutter stories, so I try to make something with the possibility of high drama/intrigue with some grand set pieces. If you give me something meaty to work with, it can make the whole campaign sing. Also, don't be afraid of tying something dark into your past. You don't need to have been a good guy/girl in your history.

Keji, come on. You can do this. There are many of us who are rusty in the game, so it's not like you'll be holding any of us back. The only way to get back into the groove is to jump in and start playing again. Regardless, though, you can take a peek in once we get started if you wanna hold off for a while.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  2467
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  May 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions