Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Cronus adapter lets you play Xbox 360 with a PS3 controller and vice versa (video)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2012 11:54:43 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Nice peripheral for the 'Conflicted'...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/07/cronus-adapter-lets-you-play-xbox-360-with-a-ps3-controller-and/

There's nothing quite so enlightening as a solution to a problem you didn't realize you had. RaptorFire's booth, tucked away in the back corner of the LA Convention Center's South Hall was offering up just that, in form of Cronus, a little USB stick that the company promises will "change how you look at gaming." While the little USB adapter's functionality isn't quite so grandiose (same goes for the company's assertion that it's "the greatest invention in gaming since the controller"), the peripheral offers up an interesting proposition -- being able to control your Xbox 360 with a PlayStation 3 controller -- and the other way around. Oh, and Wiimotes are in the mix, as well.

The Cronus is a black USB dongle with a small single digit display on the top and a USB input on the rear. Plug it into the console of your choice, sync it up and you should be good to go. We played a round of Battlefield 3, using an Xbox 360 controller on a PS 3 -- and things went smoothly. We didn't get a chance to actually try out the syncing process, but the device's manufacturer assured us that it's quite smooth, for what that's worth.

Cronus adapter lets you play Xbox 360 with a PS3 controller and vice versa

The question, of course, is why anyone needs such a device. The scenario painted for us was visiting a friend who doesn't have the same console at home (you know, if you're capable of looking past such personality flaws). Or perhaps you've picked up a new system yourself, but aren't ready to make that controller leap. The rep we spoke to played down the device's modding potential, perhaps in an attempt to make the whole thing a bit more above board, so far as the manufacturers are concerned.

No firm details on pricing or availability yet, though we're told, broadly, that the company's looking to get these to market in two to three months, priced at around $50 to $60.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:55:24 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Hm.. I was hoping it would let me control time, or hang out with a frog.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:56:21 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
So, if Flores is playing Halo on a 360 with a PS3 controller, has he betrayed Mother Sony?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 11:56:55 AM PDT
JWK says:
"The Cronus is a black USB dongle..." Heh heh, dongle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 11:57:38 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
So it's probably too large to fit in the USB outlet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 11:59:34 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
This device would just make "Press the X button" prompts even more confusing than it already is owning both consoles.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 12:01:06 PM PDT
PS3 with an Xbox360 controller with a GeForce 690 GTX with an i7 3810...

Oh wait, I have that already. It's called a PC and the interwebs run much faster on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 12:02:00 PM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Hehe...right?

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 4:53:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2012 4:53:26 PM PDT
Astro says:
For $30 more you could just get this. (better deal too, if the package doesn't include a controller.)

Mad Catz Offically Licensed Major League Gaming Pro Circuit MLG Controller for Playstation 3

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 5:00:29 PM PDT
Coleman says:
Hey that's pretty cool, my old 360 controllers could have a new use now with my PS3. Nice find!

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 7:25:51 AM PDT
Hoping this makes it to market soon, really useful for when my friends come round for a FIFA marathon they can bring their Xbox controllers and I dont have to buy more PS3 controllers

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 7:29:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 7:29:45 AM PDT
This is great news for me. I have so many controllers laying around, its an eyesore. Now if I could just use one controller to rule them all......how nice it will be.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 7:36:51 AM PDT
Will buy, will crush all of you on Killzone 3 with my 360 controller.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 7:47:34 AM PDT
I guess its a good idea. Like most people, I certainly have a preference about which controller feels more comfortable to me (for me, it is the 360). I have always managed to simply switch controllers based on what system I am playing, though, and it really hasn't been all that difficult to accomplish except that when I initially start using one system after having used the other for a while I find QTE's to be extra annoying.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 9:25:29 AM PDT
GODJOEY says:
Tested every emulator the last 5 years I will see how this one ranks against the rest.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 9:54:39 AM PDT
My only question/comment is, why?

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 10:00:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2012 10:00:54 AM PDT
Lucanus says:
Assuming it works hassle free, day 1 purchase for me. As a ps3 and 360 owner I greatly prefer the 360 controller. The analogs on the 360 controller are higher quality (have better resistance) and are placed far superior compared to the ps3 controller. I personally would love to play Uncharted with a 360 controller. IMHO as far as standard controllers go, the 360 controller is the best ever created in the history of gaming.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 10:18:06 AM PDT
GODJOEY says:
Yea I like the xbox 360 controller better than the ps3 but overall this lags behind vs a mouse setup. I Did a video showing the differences in milliseconds of time vs a mouse. I just want to see how well this emulates mouse movements "180 degree turns" and overall smooth consistent aiming. Youtube video showing the difference gamepad vs mouse is 8L0lJRX4F6w or just search Gamepad vs Mouse Playstation 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 11:17:06 AM PDT
Anthony says:
if it works right, than this might actually be useful for when/if i get a PS3. because i prefer the 360 controllers over the PS3 ones.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 4:42:38 PM PDT
You mean I'd be able to play games on my 360 with a d-pad more accurate than a blind coked out monkey with tourette's and two broken left arms?

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 5:36:33 PM PDT
RJMacReady says:
I like the 360 controller too. The anaalogs are concave and made out of gripier material. My thumb starts to slip when i perspire a little on the ps3 controller.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 6:30:05 PM PDT
Pick 34 says:
I'd get this to use my DS on xbox. The sticks are too tight on the 360 pad.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 8:38:34 AM PDT
GODJOEY says:
Well I just seen a review on this and for it to allow you to use a keyboard and mouse you still have to run it through a running computer. So this basically killed my interest in the device. As for people who want a ps3 to xbox 360 adapter you can find them for less than $60 "crossfire" etc. Good Luck

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 9:01:40 AM PDT
360 controller blows the dinky PS3 one out of the water. I own both systems, but often find myself wishing the PS3's controller wasn't so tiny, and that the layout was more natural like the 360 one is. The only problem with this is that I suspect the LB and RB would be used for shooting for most PS3 games (which tend to use those) rather than the triggers. That would annoy the heck out of me, and would be even more awkward on the 360 controller than on the PS3 one.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 6:02:28 PM PDT
Pick 34 says:
You can usually pick between L1 and R1 or L2 and R2 to aim and shoot on ps3 so that wouldn't really matter.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Jun 7, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions