Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Time to start shopping at JC Penney

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2013 1:41:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 1:41:56 PM PST
http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/961979/jcpenney-fathers-day-ad-normalizes-gay-parenting

Just in time for Father's Day, their newest catalog features a happy family with two dads.

JCPenney has a striking picture of a family in their newest catalog. Two parents, two children, all laughing and having a good time. The unique thing about the family is that it features two dads - real-life couple Todd Koch and Cooper Smith and their two kids. The ad reads, "First Pals: What makes Dad so cool? He's the swim coach, tent maker, best friend, bike fixer and hug giver - all rolled into one. Or two." Many parents love the ad, but some feel that the retailer isn't sincere and is simply using the ad as a way to gain customers.

One Million Moms
Earlier this year, JCPenney became the unwitting target of the group One Million Moms when they hired gay actress Ellen DeGeneres to be their new spokesperson. The group, a division of the right-wing American Family Association, attempted a boycott of the popular retailer unless they rescinded their offer to Ellen. JCPenney stuck by their decision, the boycott failed to gain momentum and One Million Moms has been left behind.

This ad, coupled with one that ran in May featuring a two-mom household, seems to be JCPenney's response to the attempted boycott. What do parents have to say about the ad?

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 1:42:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 1:43:09 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Aw, dude, One Million Moms should be labeled a friggin terrorist group. Anything they don't like they rally against. I hate those broads.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 1:47:12 PM PST
They should have hyphenated their names, then they could have been Cooper and Todd Koch-Smith, the tent pitchers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:47:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 1:47:50 PM PST
Not to mention the fact that it's more like 40,000 "moms".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:48:46 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
And there's no "Contact Us" link on their web page. I was going to send them some hate mail when they rallied against small grocery stores who were carrying the Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor Schweddy Balls.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:51:38 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
"some feel that the retailer isn't sincere and is simply using the ad as a way to gain customers."

I don't think those people understand the basic ideas behind marketing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:52:05 PM PST
Rockhardly says:
What in the actual eff is "One Million Moms", and when I read the answer will I regret asking the question?

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 1:52:05 PM PST
This group of women might have children but they most certainly aren't mothers. What type of mother would rather have a child be in the foster care system than have two loving parents that happen to be the same sex?

It's a great thing to see bigger companies like JC Penny supporting same sex couples like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:52:50 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yes. You will be disappointed and full of rage when you find out. Think Westboro Baptist Churches soccer moms.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:52:50 PM PST
Ice King says:
Have you seen the new Kindle Fire ad? There's a gay couple in that one too. I wonder what the million dumb moms think about that?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:53:47 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I did see that one. It's neat.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:54:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 1:54:29 PM PST
They're owned by this group;

http://www.afa.net/Detail.aspx?id=2147483695

American Family Association
P.O. Drawer 2440
Tupelo, MS 38803
Email:faq@afa.net

And yeah... that Ben & Jerry's thing was ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:54:44 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
They all participate in Amazon Mom, so they're probably ok with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:55:05 PM PST
Voice of god says:
I heard they vowed to boycott reading. So not much of a change.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:55:33 PM PST
I bet they're furious! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:57:07 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
What activist group doesn't rally against things they don't like? I don't agree with them either, but they aren't really any different than other protestors. Funny that activist groups with ideals different than yours should be labeled as "terrorists". Should only certain types of activists be allowed. If so I vote we get rid of PETA too!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:57:53 PM PST
Kind of reminds me of the time that the WBC said that Apple is from the devil while they were using iPhones.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 1:58:53 PM PST
Voice of god says:
Calm down, guy. Not everything said in the world is literal.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 1:59:15 PM PST
Good for JCP. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 2:00:04 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 1, 2013 3:36:11 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 2:01:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 2:02:10 PM PST
Logical answer: Sure they should be allowed. In the same way that Westboro Baptist Church, Neo Nazi's, the KKK and any other hate group is allowed. Freedom of speech is one of the most wonderful things our country allows.

Emotional answer: They are terrorists. They terrorize those who aren't like them by attempting to force their opinions down other peoples throats when they see things they don't like. They think a Carl's Jr ad with a girl in a bikini was specifically made to "harass" them. They're bigoted, narrow minded and I'd like to see them out of the public eye.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 2:05:16 PM PST
But boy can they ride something fierce!

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 2:06:20 PM PST
I am actually going to go in JCP this weekend and spending at least a 100 bucks. I like their business practice. I am not a homosexual but I support them 100%, equal rights for all. I don't understand why people don't?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 2:09:12 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
You do realize you could take your whole post and change about 3 words and you would sound just like the radical right.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 2:09:27 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I honestly can't stop laughing about that sentence and the idea of some people thinking any advertisement isn't simply a way to gain customers. I bet those people also think that Chevrolet is only in business to make trucks for farmers and that corn lobbyists are concerned about the nation's health.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions