Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

So I started playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Here are my impressions so far.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2012 3:59:44 PM PST
Well I got the game plus two DLC quests for $12 on Amazon this past week.

I love the combat, and apparently having ME3 granted me some awesome starting armor and weapons. Chakrams are awesome!

It feels like any other fantasy RPG. I have this really important main quest to save the world, but let me help all these random people first! The world seems pretty generic with light and dark elves and different types of humans. However, I love the story conceit about fate controlling everything. Having no fate yourself is one of the better explanations about why the player is the only one who can do this saving the world thing.

Is it worthwhile to invest in blacksmithing or alchemy? Will I be able to craft stuff better than what I get as drops?

Do enemies and resources respawn?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:03:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 4:04:11 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think you will be able to craft better stuff than items that drop. By the end of the game I was using only items that I crafted myself. But there's no real reason to max out those skills (or sagecrafting) since you can boost them with potions to get the mastercrafting bonus.

Enemies that are not part of scripted events respawn, and harvestable resources (e.g. plants) do respawn.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:04:42 PM PST
Blacksmithing and detect hidden are 2 skills that will pay big dividends. Enemies respawn, and if you are talking about alchemy reagents, those do as well. If you get going into blacksmithing, money can be kinda tight early because you are going to want to break EVERYTHING down, just about, for the components.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 4:05:24 PM PST
elect Tron says:
This is the RPG I'm going to play after The Witcher 2. Looking forward to it. Good to hear you're enjoying it, Nate.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:05:37 PM PST
DVvM says:
Yeah, detect hidden is probably the most important skill.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:08:27 PM PST
It is enormously different than any other RPG out there that I can think of. The combat is kinda similar to God of War, but without the QTE's unless you count mashing one button many times when you perform a fateshift kill. It was a truly sad day when it became official that this IP was gone away.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:08:55 PM PST
I have one rank in it and I'l already seeing "+11 gold from Detect Hidden" and stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:09:42 PM PST
How are you liking that game? If you want to make a thread about it, you know I love talking about that series. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:10:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 4:13:05 PM PST
DVvM says:
When you max it out you'll see all the hidden doors, chests, lorestones, etc. on the world map.

This is incredibly useful.

I would also prioritize Lockpicking, Persuasion, and Dispelling. Make sure to make use of trainers when you have the appropriate rank in a skill (trainers won't help you if your rank in the skill is too high or too low.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:10:55 PM PST
So I only need to fill up those skills to the second tier, use a potion, and I can make the max level stuff?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:11:08 PM PST
Okay, that is awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:11:36 PM PST
The hidden door detection is the best part of detect hidden.

Blacksmithing can break the game in my opinion. I made my gear 15-20 hours in and didn't really upgrade anything for the remainder of the game. I only replaced everything when I changed classes; usually by making a new set of armor and weapons.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:12:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 4:15:09 PM PST
Amalur was enjoyable. Like most people here have already said detect hidden is the one skill you should work on.

What type of fighting style do you think you will go with? Or I guess I should say, what class do you think you will go with?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:14:42 PM PST
elect Tron says:
I know, Daft, the game looks awesome. I can't wait to play it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:15:23 PM PST
I have to agree with this, if you are looking to keep the difficulty up. %life on armor is seriously OP, you can have more health than bosses that are supposed to be challenging. However, it is MAD fun making a god character and facerolling over things at times.

This game is high up there, if not at the top, on my personal GOTY list.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:15:31 PM PST
elect Tron says:
LOL, you're right, I do, but I actually haven't started it yet. I have Far Cry 3 preordered, and am really looking forward to that, but once I finish that game, I'm starting The Witcher 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:17:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 4:20:52 PM PST
DVvM says:
Master potions of the appropriate kind can increase any one of your skills by 3 for a duration. You need Alchemy 5 to make the Master class potions (they require four ingredients). You don't need to walk around with your Blacksmithing, etc. at 10, you just need to be able to get it to 10 when you make gear, so get it up to 7 and leave it there and quaff a potion before you start forging your endgame gear. There is no bonus for having Blacksmithing at level 8 or 9. 7 lets you use gems as components in crafting, 10 lets you craft masterclass equipment.

Sagecraft and Alchemy might be worth buffing past 7 since they increase droprates for reagents all the way up to 10, but you may not find yourself wanting for Shards (for example.)

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 4:19:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 4:21:22 PM PST
Ham Salad says:
I really liked the gameplay in that game, but I agree with the OP the story and the world itself really didn't impress me. With most RPGs I've enjoyed I'll read most, if not all, of the dialogue presented. But even though I enjoy KoA: Reckoning overall, I found myself skipping through most of the dialogue after the first several hours.

It had an interesting premise with the whole changing your fate thing, but I just feel like the story's presentation was pretty bland and generic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:21:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 4:22:56 PM PST
Personally, I never touched Alchemy in any of my games. And I mean ANY. I know that it can speed up your games in such as any of the TES(redundancy FTW) games, but it's just so mind-numbing to me. Personal preference, I guess.

@Ham: That was one of the good things about this game. They highlight the text that moves the story forward, so if you don't want to go through dialog trees all day, just look for the blue words and off you go. That, and the fact that they don't make you look at yourself wearing a dildo-helmet all the time just because it has some good stats. All games need an option to hide helmet in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:22:14 PM PST
Mostly using chakrams for now. I love the fast attack speed. I stay very mobile, using those and a lot of dodge rolls.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 4:22:14 PM PST
K Archer says:
IMO, Nate, if you think of this like a single-player (no party) Dungeon Siege with a God of War clone's combat you'll get more enjoyment out of it. The story is very meh and pretty much meaningless right until the end, but even then isn't something to write home about. Also, don't expect the combat to really change outside what you're willing to add to it; there's only a handful of enemy types and all their variations pretty much behave the same way

Its also very easy; or, at the very least, going a rogue/sorcerer hybrid is very easy. Had no problems even on a Hard speed-run. And if you do most to almost everything you'll hit the level cap a good bit before the end.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:22:32 PM PST
DVvM says:
I honestly felt that the real problem with Amalur is that it felt kind of soulless. It was pretty, and a lot of parts of it were well designed, but it didn't really feel like a living, interesting world.

It stands in stark contrast to the Fable games in that regard. Combat is better in Amalur than Fable, absolutely, but Fable has a heart and a soul where Amalur didn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:23:52 PM PST
Sounds good. Two of the podcasts I've listened to this week make the game sound awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:24:50 PM PST
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. I'd rather not waste points on stuff if I don't need to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:25:39 PM PST
I've been listening to a lot of it so far, but I don't think I will keep it up.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions