Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

What makes someone a "real gamer" ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 103 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2013 4:24:14 AM PST
Dj Chiszle says:
Is it having all the systems? Multiple systems? Playing Madden and COD all day? Knowing everything about the industry itself? Playing competitively? I've gotten tons of different implications from various places and people
I just wanted to know what others think makes a real gamer a real gamer or if such a thing really exists with multiple home consoles, handheld consoles, PC and everything else made in the last 30 years or so

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 4:24:44 AM PST
Dj Chiszle says:
Personally I don't think it's a such thing as a real gamer because it's all based on opinion, some think they're one because they only play hardcore games but that's also an opinion. I think King Of Fighters is more hardcore than Street Fighter and a 100+ JRPG is more hardcore than a game of Madden online with 5 minute quarters but that's just me. I just like video games (been that way as long as I can remember) and I like collecting the older stuff. Once you take something TOO seriously it stops being as fun

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 4:30:53 AM PST
Geomancer says:
If you play games all the time (not literally, just often) you are a gamer. Doesn't mater what you play, or what on. Play board games, card games, and pen & paper games all the time? Still a gamer.

No different than watching movies constantly makes you a movie buff, or watching every sport broadcast makes you a sports fanatic. If you spend all your time making quilts you're a quilter... the list goes on. It's just a label to describe what you do with your free time.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 4:31:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 4:47:13 AM PST
Modern Bear says:
A real gamer is a person who plays games, and it doesn't matter on what platform. A real gamer is also someone who doesn't concern himself about his choice of platform "winning" some kind of phony platform war, or go on forums trolling over such inane topics as which platform is better or how other people "suck" because they don't play the same games he does. A real gamer appreciates the fact he has so many choices for games, loves his hobby and wants the industry to stay healthy, not root for some companies to go out of business.

We have some real gamers here on the VGF. We also have some phonies, some of whom I don't think even own a game system or play games at all.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 4:47:38 AM PST
neu Tron says:
I like to think of a gamer as someone who games for more than just to pass the time. Someone who takes their gaming seriously, and thinks of it as something that is special.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 4:51:07 AM PST
Physical existence and games.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:09:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 5:11:10 AM PST
jtshiel says:
A real gamer keeps a piss jar handy.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:10:47 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm a real gamer. Now compare your life to mine and then kill yourselves.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:14:39 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
There's no such term as 'real gamers'. You're either a gamer or not. Even if you work for a dev/publisher - if you don't game, you aren't a gamer.

You play any game (clears throat) even Angry Birds, you're still considered a gamer.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:17:04 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I played Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, Uncharted 1-3 and Gears of War 1-3 and I liked it.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:22:40 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Penetration.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 5:25:09 AM PST
Indeed.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:27:37 AM PST
klopas says:
At one point in your life, you must have accumulated over 200 hours in a single game in order to call yourself a gamer. Everybody knows that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 5:29:13 AM PST
I have over 1,500 hours in Guild Wars. Does that make me 7.5 real gamers?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 5:29:23 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Unless it's Call of Duty or Madden. Those don't count because of reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 5:30:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 5:32:55 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
LOL, only 200 hours? I put 6 times that into Phantasy Star Online. 20 times that into World of Warcraft. 3 times that number into Oblivion.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:31:45 AM PST
"There's no such term as 'real gamers'." "You play any game (clears throat) even Angry Birds, you're still considered a gamer. "

You are 100% Correct sir! In fact less than 10% of gamers are hardcore gamers who enjoy games like Demon Souls.

50%+ of gamers are over the age of 60 and enjoy Facebook games, yahoo games, etc...

I consider myself a Hardcore Casual Gamer. That means I will play any game I find fun, but in general I'm not one that has to be the top of the leaderboards and the best at PvP etc...

I spend most of the time when I'm not at work playing games, and I don't spend hours of time I could be gaming complaining about everything about a game accept the game itself (I.E. Complaining about Endings I didn't like, Optional Microtransactions, DRM, Online Only, Digital only, Physical Only, etc...). If I buy a game I end up hating I will post my thoughts on it and will discuss it (but won't linger on it for months), then move on and play a game I don't hate.

In my personal opinion, the only way to ever play video games wrong, is to play them and not have fun doing so. When a game becomes boring and painful to play (excluding certain periods of frustration... I'm looking at YOU Dark Souls), it may be time to move on to a new game.

Although after the nuclear fallout that happened with ME3, D3, and a few others I am loathe to call myself a gamer because I wish to not be associated with those crazy folks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 5:34:19 AM PST
Voice of god says:
When I squirted out of my mom the doctor put a DS with Animal Crossing in my hand, and it fused with the skin I grew.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:35:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 5:35:43 AM PST
Why it appears I have someone following me around and down voting me! Must be a gamer.

Ah VGF... good times.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:36:16 AM PST
A "real gamer" is someone who frequents the Amazon VGF.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 5:38:00 AM PST
klopas says:
Ha! Yes, you are 7.5 real gamers.

I just threw out some arbitrary number. The "real gamer" question gets asked at least once a month, along with the "are video games art?", "guns are bad", and "religion, rabble rabble" topics. It's always entertaining!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 5:38:11 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Don't fret. Downvoters can't formulate their own opinions because they are inbred, and they resort to using the downvote button because even if they wanted to reply their wrists are so sore from giving their father's old fashioneds that they only have the strength to click on the No button.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 5:44:08 AM PST
"Although after the nuclear fallout that happened with ME3, D3, and a few others I am loathe to call myself a gamer because I wish to not be associated with those crazy folks."

And yeah, those weren't even the worst bits of gamer culture we saw last year.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 5:48:29 AM PST
hehehe I wasn't fretting :3 I was just observing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 5:49:52 AM PST
"And yeah, those weren't even the worst bits of gamer culture we saw last year. "

I dunno the D3 explosion was... pretty toxic. And it continues to go on on the D3 forums over at blizzard. When that Q+A last month from the Devs came out... it's like someone ripped a scab off and the sludge of the gaming D3 community returned in spades.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  103
Initial post:  Mar 4, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions