Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Eight video game treasures you may have

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 77 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012 7:14:52 AM PST
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/eight-video-game-treasures-might-actually-own-225637707.html

You've seen the headlines, no doubt: Unsuspecting homeowner is cleaning out the garage, attic, or storage building, stumbles across a dusty box of old video games, and discovers a goldmine of valuable rarities that nets them tens of thousands of dollars.

Easy money, right? Not so fast. The odds of you accidentally owning a game worth anywhere over $1,000 are obscenely low. The world's most expensive games are either decades-old esoterica, little-known relics from the NES or Atari 2600 era that were created in extremely limited quantities, or bizarre import titles that you've probably never even heard of.

But what about more modest -- and far more common -- finds? It turns out there's a handful of relatively well-known games from the last few generations of consoles that fetch surprisingly high prices on the enthusiast market. Here's a few that you may actually own:

Halo Triple Pack (Xbox) Price range: $80 - $150

Halo 4 might be on everyone's mind right now, but this old compilation could be substantially more valuable.

Bundling together Halo 1, Halo 2 and Halo 2's multiplayer map pack, the Halo Triple Pack was released for the original Xbox. Its high price -- about $80 upwards, for a used example -- reflects the fact that both games will play just fine on backwards-compatible Xbox 360s, keeping the triple pack in demand from new Halo fans who want to see where the story started.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (PS2/Xbox) Price range: $25 - $100

The second in a terrific hack 'n' slash console series based on the even better PC Baldur's Gate franchise, Dark Alliance II retains a surprisingly high value on both PS2 and Xbox.

Pristine copies can be worth as much as $100. Two main reasons underlie its continued popularity: it had a fairly small initial print run, and its co-operative, Diablo-style gameplay still holds up today.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence: Limited Edition (PS2) Price range: $100 - $500

Are you the kind of gamer who likes to snag collector's editions versions of popular games? If you picked up this particular version of Metal Gear Solid 3, your extravagance could well pay off for once.

It includes a DVD containing the game's cut-scenes edited into a three-and-a-half hour movie and remains hugely popular with the many fans of the series. New versions fetch a good $500, while used ones go for more like $100. Still, not bad for a six-year-old game.

Final Fantasy VII - Black Label (Playstation) Price range: $50 - $500

Classic role-playing game Final Fantasy VII is the polar opposite of rare. In fact, it was one of the best-selling games on the original Playstation, moving over 10 million copies around the world.

But it remains in high demand: even used copies can fetch decent funds, while mint-condition, unopened examples of the original 'Black Label' release (rather than the green 'Greatest Hits' re-release) can be worth hundreds. Bet you wish you'd never played yours, eh?

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Playstation) Price range: $50 - $300

Weird name, awesome game -- and even more awesome treasure.

Originally released on the Super Nintendo, the Playstation port of the tactical role-playing game Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (fun fact: the title is an homage to the rock band Queen) is highly sought after by fans of this superb series. Used copies routinely sell for around $50, and new ones run well into the $300 range.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning -- Collector's Edition (Xbox 360) Price range: $500 - $1,000

It was the game that killed baseball star Curt Schilling's game development studio, but if you landed a copy of the collector's edition of 2012 RPG Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, it could be your ticket to a fortune. A small fortune, admittedly, but more than you'd think.

Bundled with a limited edition troll statue, signed lithographs, and assorted other goodies, the scarcity of this curio (only 700 were created) pushes its value as high as a thousand dollars, depending on condition.

Steel Battalion (Xbox) Price range: $100- $700

Shipping with a vast, 40-button custom controller, this mech combat game was a slow seller at its 2002 release. With a price tag of $200, tepid reviews, and gameplay that was decidedly niche, it's hardly surprising.

But if you were one of the few to take the plunge, you're onto a nice little earner. Even a well-used example will fetch a couple hundred over its original asking price, and unopened, intact games will bring in substantially more.

Gamecube component cables Price range: $100 - $150

Wait, what? Yes, believe it or not, component video cables for a Gamecube are worth a surprising amount of money. They were only ever made by Nintendo (no third-party alternatives exist) and in small quantities, and they're the only way to get high-quality video out of a Gamecube. So enthusiasts are prepared to pay considerable sums to get their hands on a set, often to the tune of well over $100.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:16:26 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I have 5 of those items:

MGS3 Subsistence LE (i have 2, one open, one sealed)
Steel Battalion
Gamecube Component Cables
Baldur's Gate 2 on the Xbox and the PS2
Final Fantasy VII black label

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:16:35 AM PST
"Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning -- Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)"

Heh. The newest thing on the list is worth the most.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:16:59 AM PST
That's almost $110,000! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:17:27 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Ha.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:19:49 AM PST
Mel says:
A "collectors edition" that's actually a true "limited edition" (700 copies)
buzz, buzz, buzz words

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:20:25 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
I have the Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt combo pack. I bet none of you have ever even seen this cartridge. It is so rare.

In all seriousness, probably my most valuable game is Clay Fighter 63 1/3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:21:37 AM PST
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0097WT5X0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

This guys wants $1,500.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:22:44 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
What a cheapa$$. He still charges $3.99 for shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:23:28 AM PST
Mel says:
I should email him this thread "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning -- Collector's Edition (Xbox 360) Price range: $500 - $1,000"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:24:41 AM PST
His seller account just launched also. I bet he is 100% reliable!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:26:12 AM PST
Why specifically the xbox 360 one?

I only have the non CE of the PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:26:19 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
You really should. I bet that will knock him down a peg and ruin his day. Good one Mel!

/sarcasm

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:27:01 AM PST
Nice, I have a few of these.

FF VII Black Label
Reckoning Collector's Edition
GC component cables

Won't get rid of them, but it's nice to know they are worth something.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:27:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 7:27:58 AM PST
Obviously because the 360 is better.

Haha, kidding, of course! The real answer is because the 360 has no games, so any games on it sell for a high price.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:28:27 AM PST
Mel says:
I have all of them actually, but would never put a price on them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:28:38 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
Awesome. Mind if I come over to hang out and play some vidya games with ya? Just send me your address and your work schedule. Thanks bud!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:29:18 AM PST
I could unload the GC component cables, no need since I can play those games on Wii...but that would require some sort of effort on my part, so F that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:29:38 AM PST
LOL, no.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:30:54 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
Don't mind that van that will be following your home tonight. That isn't anyone I sent after you. Promise.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:32:40 AM PST
I'll be sure to introduce them to my little friend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:39:35 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
Now you just made this creepy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:42:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 7:42:46 AM PST
Why? My friend is a really nice guy, he's just kinda short. You have something against little people? Small hands and cabbage freak you out?

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:42:32 AM PST
jtshiel says:
I don't have any of these :(

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:49:26 AM PST
i'm keeping my copy of Brink......that thing's gonna put my grandkids thru college
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  77
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions