Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Xbox 360 USB data storage limit doubled to 32GB

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 7:25:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:33:03 AM PST
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/09/xbox-360-usb-data-storage-limit-doubled-to-32gb/

The recent Xbox 360 dashboard update for Fall 2012 quietly increased the flash drive storage capacity from the 16GB implemented in 2010 to 32GB. Although we had been made aware of this the week of the update, we just wanted to make sure this wasn't a glitch that would be reversed at a later date.

Asked if the Xbox flash drive storage limit had officially increased from 16GB to 32GB during the most recent Xbox Live update, a Microsoft spokesperson told us, "Yes. The more our customers use their profile and download digital content, the larger the file size necessary to store that content and move it between consoles gets. Therefore we increased the size of the memory to enable our customers to take more of their Xbox profile with them on the go."

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:25:56 AM PST
Very cool, thanks Doug!

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:29:10 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Nice bump for the 4Giggers.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:29:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:30:19 AM PST
♫ Space for nothin' and multiple disks for free ♫

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:30:57 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Hey, I've got a 120 GB hard drive and an old busted Xbox. I can probably get a good deal on a new 360 slim arcade version - my friend won it but wants to sell it. Before, I was thinking it would be a pain to fiddle around with the old HD to fit it into a new slim, but it sounds like I could just use flash drives instead.

Could I also just use my 1TB external hard drive and plug it into an Xbox? I thought that kind of thing wasn't allowed (but flash drives are okay).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:39:46 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
they are allowed but the better question if its compatable. I tried 3 flash drives and neither of them worked so i bought a 16gb in 2010.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:44:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:44:46 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
The HDD will only be recognized as the limit assigned to USB...in this case 32GB.

It is fairly simple to take that 120GB shell apart man. Both my brothers are running Slims with their old legacy HDD's for a year and a half now. Those are instantly recognized. Once you insert it, it locks in...you are good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:47:05 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Do you need to put it in the new (smaller) slim shell or just take it apart and snap it in as-is?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:51:49 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
You can snap it in as-is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:51:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:52:44 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
You can do either. Both of theirs are just hanging in place, they dont bend with the weight or anything. The connection inside very strong/firm.

Both are in horrizontal position in the same place they've always been. Slim shell would obviously be a more desirable solution if cost not a concern.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:56:52 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Thanks for the info guys. I'm not sure what kind of price my friend can get on a plain 4GB Xbox - he said he had a chance to sell it for $150 a while ago and he really should've taken that. I'm thinking the $80 range considering they're so cheap this time of year.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:19:13 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
wallmart is selling the white 4GB xbox with the skylander startpack this balck friday for $150.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:56:49 AM PST
waxc3 says:
wish i had bought a bigger flashdrive for my 360 in the bedroom. i purposefully bought a 16 for it. oh well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions