Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

DmC: Devil May Cry reviews

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 119 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2013 6:30:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 6:33:35 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
85 Metascore at the moment.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dmc-devil-may-cry/critic-reviews

EGM 95
DmC is everything a reboot should be-confident, thoughtful, and brazenly unafraid to sacrifice a few sacred cows along the way. For all the backlash they've had to face, developer Ninja Theory has delivered the most polished, refreshing, and memorable hack-and-slash experience in recent memory.

Game Informer 90
Ninja Theory stays faithful to the heart and soul of the series with this reimagining - and that's what matters.

Destructoid 90
A beautiful, bold, and supremely enjoyable videogame in its own right. It deserves to be praised...Action games may come deeper and harder than this, but few are as pleasurable.

IGN 89
DmC hurls Dante into a newer, better world, complete with a glorious combat system and enough style to make old Dante proud...This is digital action at its finest, steeped in the blood of angels, spiced with gunpowder, and garnished with a middle finger.

Edge Magazine 80
This is the best entry in its genre since Bayonetta, and might just be the best game Ninja Theory has made to date.

GameSpot 80
DmC succeeds both in its story and in its brilliant combat, and it looks the business too, despite a few minor glitches and the more colour-soaked levels looking like they've spent a little too much time in an Instagram filter.

Eurogamer 80
Ninja Theory has absolutely nailed the leading man and the combat system - by far the most important things - and DmC is clearly a labour of love, a tribute as well as a new beginning.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:33:32 AM PST
I don't know. The demo didn't leave much to desire and the main character looks like Jonathan Rhys Meyers

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:39:40 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Wow, I'm surprised at how many people actually like Dante and the story. I figured the gameplay would sell this game, but Dante and the terrible writing are keeping me far, far away from DmC.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:41:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 6:41:45 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
The Sess's review (3/5):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRyN6qUZ9Mc

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:43:00 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Heh, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Gameplay alone is making me hold off for now. I still haven't done a second playthrough of the demo with tweaked controls as I had intended, though.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:43:45 AM PST
Flores. says:
Every time I see DMC I think of the Back to the Future's DeLorean.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:44:21 AM PST
The intarwebz are rife with conspiracy theories that all the high scores were bought and paid for. People seriously need medication.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:47:15 AM PST
Check out Sess's review posted below your post. Pretty much rips it apart for it's terrible story and characters but says the gameplay (particularly in the first half) is good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:47:22 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Well 8.9GN's score has a 9 in it, AND it rounds up to 9...

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:48:18 AM PST
Subject7 says:
Gametrailers - 8.5

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:48:28 AM PST
Don't you start!!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:54:03 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
I don't see what the big deal about the "new" Dante is. People aren't pissing and moaning about the "new" Lara Croft. Personally I find the new Dante to be more, dare I say, realistic and less stupid looking than the white haired one.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:54:07 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:44 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:57:26 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
It's not a "new" Lara Croft, it's her origin story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:57:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 6:58:15 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
That's what I'm thinking too. I might pick it up for $15 sometime in the future. The gameplay is still fun. Chocking down that horrible dialog? Not so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:02:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 7:04:06 AM PST
I have to agree. I just played the Demo today, and while the combat is quite fun, the Dialog, and writing is filled with so much Garbage, I think it would be better to log onto Xbox live and listen to the 12 year olds swear, they may swear less than this game.

EDIT: I'm quite glad there was a demo at least, I may have bought it, but I won't now. Saved me 60$ :3

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:04:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 7:06:11 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Yes, because Devil May Cry is all about realism.

I played the demo for DmC several times, and while the combat is pretty good, I really think the rest of it is awful. I wouldn't play a free copy of this game.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:06:42 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I have no interest in buying this game but I expected nothing less from Ninja Theory, now go make something new!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:08:40 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
I loved the demo. I thought the combat was awesome and I loved the look of the game. I will be picking this one up sometime soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:09:23 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
You're right. The main character should really look like John Rhys Davies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:10:22 AM PST
Phranctoast says:
All DMC games have horrible dialog. I chalk that up to being from Japan...... I was put off by the unneeded profanity myself in the demo.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:11:38 AM PST
In the games defense I don't think story was ever their aspiration. The game is more of a guilty pleasure if anything else (judging from the demo) and I think the exciting thing is that a lot of people are praising the controls and combat of a Ninja Theory game. Hopefully that will bleed into one of their well written games that people go on about.

Something like an Enslaved with much refined mechanics would be something a lot of people would want.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:11:49 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Yeah, old DMC was campy B movie dialogue. New DMC is over acting George Lucas dialogue with unnecessary cursing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:12:53 AM PST
Benpachi says:
"I think the exciting thing is that a lot of people are praising the controls and combat of a Ninja Theory game."

That's because Capcom handled that part, haha.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:13:17 AM PST
Agreed mate.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Overwatch discussion thread 1572 33 minutes ago
PSN mid-summer sale week 1 60 43 minutes ago
Microsoft cheats customers: XBox Fitness was paid for, now being cancelled 1 44 minutes ago
Free xb1 dlc for the fitness 0 45 minutes ago
Games With Gold For July Possibly Leaked 32 52 minutes ago
Apple gives SF Sodomy Parade attendees a pathetic rainbow watch band, worth about 50 cents 13 55 minutes ago
Is MS Headed for Another HD-DVD Fiasco? 0 1 hour ago
Zero Time Dilemma Watches Delayed 5 1 hour ago
Weekly Gaming and Weekend Review 6/27 - 7/1 89 1 hour ago
OT: Meet the first openly transgender infantryman in the US army 33 2 hours ago
Lots O' Keys, Mostly Steam With A Few Origin Thrown In For Good Measure 41 2 hours ago
Sony is ending support for Ustream features on PS4 12 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  119
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions