Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sony: 360 Ahead in Sales, but Software Performs Better on PS3

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 153 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2011 3:37:32 PM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Sony Computer Entertainment America's SVP of Publisher Relations Rob Dyer, after slamming Microsoft's publishing policies, also talked with IndustryGamers about how software sells on the PS3 compared to the Xbox 360. The big focus for Sony is index ratio, which gives us an idea of how a game fares relative to the installed base. To start, however, Dyer did admit the "massive lead" Xbox 360 has in hardware - the index ratio is 1.6, meaning there is 1 PS3 sold for every 1.6 Xbox 360 units sold through.

When it comes to software, however, Dyer says PS3 shines. "So if you look at the index ratio and see that where they might have this massive lead on the hardware side, the people that are buying software, when the software growth is happening, it's happening on the PS3," he said.

Dyer cited several examples where on multiplatform releases, the PS3 SKU performed better than the Xbox 360 SKU when comparing the numbers to the respective installed bases for the two high-definition platforms. Sony considers anything below a 1.6 index ratio on software to be favorable. Perhaps the chief example of this was Warner Bros' Mortal Kombat which way over-indexed for Sony.

"If you have a choice between buying a PS3 version and an Xbox version of Mortal Kombat, which one are you buying? You're buying the PS3 version because you can play as Kratos. Although Microsoft has a 1.6 to 1 index ratio against us [on hardware], we outsold them on Mortal Kombat nearly at a 1 to 1. So that is due in large part to the exclusive content that you're getting on disc. You'll see that happening on almost every case where we've had a game that they've supported with on disc content or with exclusive DLC."

Here are the examples Sony provided us on software (per NPD data) that performed well due to partnerships or exclusive DLC:

Mortal Kombat: Index ratio of 0.91
-Included Kratos as an exclusive playable character in PS3 version

Medal of Honor: Index ratio of 1.2
-Exclusively included an MOH Frontline HD remake
-Beta invite to Battlefield

Portal 2: Index ratio of 1.6
Sony's comment: "While the 1.6 index ratio is on par with the hardware index ratio, it is below the total index for shooting genre title on both platforms of 1.9. The PS3 version exclusively included a PC version of the game and Steam integration. Also, important to note, that Valve had a heritage on Xbox and this was the first title in this generation that shipped day and date on both platforms."

NBA 2K11: Index ratio of 1.2
-Move and 3D Support
-Partner in PlayStation/Coke promotion through Move launch

LA Noire: Index of 1.22
-PS3 version included an exclusive downloadable pack "The Consuls Car"

Dante's Inferno: Index ratio of .93
-Exclusive Divine Edition, exclusive demo on PSN

Dyer seemed particularly proud of the Medal of Honor example because of how most people feel about Microsoft "owning" the shooter category with Xbox 360. "So here Microsoft owns the shooter category where...everyone talks about how that's their genre. Medal of Honor, because we gave away a free copy of Frontline on the disc, wildly over indexed on ours. Microsoft absolutely felt that," Dyer said.

With that in mind, we decided to ask Dyer about the top shooter on the market, Call of Duty. Microsoft has been leading when it comes to Call of Duty, partly because Xbox 360 gets the DLC first. Dyer didn't seem to phased by that, however.

"They're going to have the same deal. And they're going to have their map packs," he said referring to this fall's Modern Warfare 3 and the relationship with Microsoft. "They're going to be a month exclusive... But they're not running any higher than what the index ratio is - they're right at 1.6. In spite of all the millions that Microsoft has spent on that relationship with Activision, people aren't voting to buy a 360 version of that over and above a PS3 version, given the installed base."

He added, "As much as people might associate Call of Duty and the shooting genre with 360, we don't see that as a cause for alarm right now. What we're hoping for, given the announcement we made at E3 with Battlefield (full Battlefield 1943 game included on disc), we believe that we are going to have a major player here with EA on our platform - and well over indexed given what we're doing with them in order to promote that title."

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-admits-massive-lead-for-xbox-360-but-insists-software-performs-better-on-ps3/

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 3:48:51 PM PDT
kinda funny that they make it sound like its happening for all games. how about throw a ratio list for all games instead, not just hand pick titles just because they come with extra content.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 3:52:14 PM PDT
I.Flores says:
http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php

Week Ending 27th Aug 2011

Worldwide Software Totals
PS3 1,503,667
X360 1,157,927

You're welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 3:55:47 PM PDT
is that all you ever rely on is vgchartz? could lord. if that site shut down, i wonder where else you would get your info.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 3:57:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2011 4:04:06 PM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Sony just said above the 360 hardware install base is 1.6 to 1 to Sonys', contrary to what Vgchartz total sales figures would indicate.

Also at Gamescom Sony also said they just broke 22 million in Europe...Yet VGcarts shows 25 million.

Granted those are software numbers you, and Sony has had alot of exclusives ship this year so i dont see that being squewed.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/08/25/ps3-passes-22-million-sales-in-europe/

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 3:57:33 PM PDT
I like their paragraph explanation as to why portal sold more on the 360...lol...it should have sold more hands down on the ps3 specifically because of steam

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 3:58:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2011 3:59:59 PM PDT
Well its the only site that really gives us up to date sales figures....yea they might be off but its better that just claims

And numbers can be corrected as Mayo just did

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 3:59:51 PM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Kids, when all else fails...pull out that Fuzzy Wuzzy Math PHD.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:00:27 PM PDT
if it stated anything about portal 1 being 360, then i'd probably agree. usually if you find the first game on one console, you're more than likely going to buy the sequel to it, not just because one version has more content.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:01:06 PM PDT
Its all about the fuzzy math...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:01:11 PM PDT
I.Flores says:
Feel free to quote worldwide numbers from any other source you like.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:03:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2011 4:04:30 PM PDT
I.Flores says:
22 million in Europe, and 25 million listed on VGchartz, yeah.

Only that the 25 million listed on VGchartz is for the EMEAA region, which includes Middle East, Asia (other than Japan) and Australia/New Zealand, not just the EU.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:07:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2011 4:09:09 PM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Ah, i see. That makes sense.

What doesnt is Dyers 1.6 to 1 ratio hardware instal base ratio. Unless Sony is just shipping PS3's like they are going out of style.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:08:04 PM PDT
The orange box was also released on the ps3 though so portal 1 wasn't just on the 360

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 4:12:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2011 4:12:53 PM PDT
A customer says:
The 360 might be in some straits once the whole shooter fad comes to an end, no? I hope not. Competition amongst hardware is good for the industry, creatively especially.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:14:57 PM PDT
So the PS3 hasn't been outselling the 360 in terms of worldwide hardware sales for the past 3 years like the fanboys have been saying?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:18:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2011 4:34:11 PM PDT
So you really think the fps genre is going to go away anytime soon?

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 4:25:56 PM PDT
Joel H. says:
If Sony held some nazi-esque march near their NY HQ, i'd totally go.

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 4:29:11 PM PDT
A customer says:
The twist died. Disco died. Liesure suits died. Glam rock died. The Jheri curl died. k0rn died. Michael Jackson died. Shooters will die. It is inevitable.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:33:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2011 4:34:51 PM PDT
I.Flores says:
My guess is that the 1.6 to 1 ratio is for consoles sold in the Americas only.

Rob Dyer is a SCEA employee, so he speaks for his region only.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:33:27 PM PDT
Joel H. says:
I'm not sure Korn has realized they've died? Maybe you could hook them up with a copy of Peachy and they'll go OHHH and just stop?

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 4:35:40 PM PDT
A customer says:
Life is Peachy is the only album of theirs I really like, actually.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:36:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2011 4:39:29 PM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
According to Dyer in relation to the known variables (VGchartz tracking/Sony quarterly reports), if the hardware install base is indeed 1.6 to 1.0 in favor of the 360 at this date in time...then that sounds like the current 3 million gap is off by alot ...like many millions in terms of consumers buying the hardware....not how many containers Sony has sitting in distribution or in dock awaiting customs somewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:36:40 PM PDT
I want to see korn live...I hear they put on a great show...haven't really followed them since they released their greatest hits cd

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 4:37:18 PM PDT
Joel H. says:
Haha no random name drop... best by far.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  153
Initial post:  Sep 7, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions