Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Microsoft Surface trampled at the bottom of the tablet pile

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2012 8:50:49 AM PST
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/12/26/microsoft-surface-trampled-at-bottom-tablet-pile/

While it does have drawbacks just like anything else, Microsoft's Surface is a great slate for those looking for a fresh new take on the modern tablet .

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like very many people were looking for one this holiday season.

In a recent note to investors, R.W. Baird analyst William Power recounted recent conversations had at retailers including Best Buy and Staples. While speaking with sales reps at the stores, Apple's iPad was the most highly recommended tablet while Amazon's Kindle Fire line and Samsung's Galaxy Tab line were both recommended as alternatives.

Microsoft's Surface tablet , on the other hand, was not pushed by reps at either chain.

From Power's note, as picked up by Barron's:

"Microsoft's Surface, which Best Buy just recently started carrying, was not recommended to us by reps without us asking about it specifically. When asked about sales to date, reps noted that the device was new and indicated that early demand has been modest relative to the iPad and Kindle Fire."

"We would also note that the device was in stock at every store we contacted ... We contacted Staples stores in an effort to further gauge Microsoft Surface sales, though our impression from speaking with reps was tablets are not a major seller at Staples. Tellingly, Staples doesn't currently carry the iPad."

"When pressed for details, Staples reps indicated that Surface volumes have been modest to date. Most reps told us that the primary appeal to Surface buyers is the ability to run Microsoft Office. Consistent with our Best Buy checks, the Surface was also in stock at all Staples stores we contacted. Outside of the Surface, the Google Nexus 10 was cited as another strong tablet option."

Further supporting the idea that Microsoft's debut tablet wasn't a big seller this holiday season, Twitter user A.X. Ian did a quick analysis of tweets discussing new tablets during a 24-hour period around Christmas Eve.

Based on his data, 1,795 people tweeted about getting a new iPad during that time span while 250 tweeted about their new Kindle Fires, 100 mentioned their new Nexus 10 tablets and just 36 tweets were posted by users who had received a new Surface.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:53:56 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 13, 2013 3:03:37 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:55:37 AM PST
Like how the people flocked around the Zune?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:57:13 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 13, 2013 3:03:38 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:00:11 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Hopefully it bombs some more so they go on deep discounts.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:03:33 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Maylong M-250 Universe 7" Android Tablet>Microsoft Surface

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:04:18 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
ya me too because i want one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:05:16 AM PST
They can't handle the Zune!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:17:00 AM PST
Pick 34 says:
I went into best buy to check it out and couldn't find it. I expected it to be front and center like the iPad, but the first time I went in looking for it, around the time windows 8 and surface came out they didn't have it, and when I asked they didn't know what it was or who made it. I told them ms and they told me to buy it online at the ms store. Two weeks later they had it, but it was buried among the rest of the tablets. You'd figure with ms' clout they'd have their own display like apple...ect. They also messed up by not making it cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:19:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 9:44:58 AM PST
>>Most people didn't deserve a Zune.<<

Agreed. Having one should be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:31:03 AM PST
Bionix01 says:
I never had a zune but i do prefer to use the ZUNE software over itunes.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:33:13 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
I still get Sony MP3 players so I won't have to install Itunes. Probably will have to break down and eventually get an Apple one as the Sony MP3 players are crap.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:43:47 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
The surface is in a confusing state at current, it's marketed with Windows RT, but it doesn't use traditional windows software. It is also currently limited to a Tegra 3, while it is good at being a mobile CPU, it currently fails to compete with PowerVR's GPU's (used in the Vita and iOS devices) and the chipset is about to feel some future competition with Intel and their mobile atom based products.

I've been holding off for a Surface Pro. It will be a little thicker, but will come with real Windows and a real APU (CPU/GPU). Then again it isn't designed completely for consumption like the iOS and Android devices, and it won't do things kind of half assed in the creation realm like the current Surface model does.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:47:37 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 27, 2012 9:48:29 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:49:17 AM PST
I think a lot of folks were looking for a tablet that could run Microsoft Office smoothly, and when the "typing faster than the Surface can keep up with" stench was revealed in reviews, this tablet had no hope. Maybe the Surface 2 or 3 will be up to the task.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:49:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 9:51:16 AM PST
T-Hype says:
Like anything, Donnie, the key is software and developer support.

The Surface Pro, much like the Vita, will be an engineering marvel, but that doesn't mean anything if there are already millions of apps for the competition's tablet.

The Surface is a cool machine, but it is way too early to crown it as the tablet champion when it's barely had any run time (not to mention the pro isn't even out yet).

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:56:17 AM PST
Benpachi says:
I had a Zune and loved it. It eventually crapped out (shocking coming from M$), and when it did it was dead tech so I couldn't get a new one for a fair price. Had to convert to an ipod, and I hate that thing so much. The Zune interface and software was way more user friendly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:58:43 AM PST
I think you're underestimating the number of masochists in the world.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:01:48 AM PST
Bionix01 says:
I think it's also being hurt by their key attraction, the keyboard, not being bundled in for free with any model. The keyboard costing 100 dollars really sets it back. I was let down by that even though i too am waiting for the pro model.

The regular keyboard should be free while the one with actual keys should be maybe an added 50.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:03:38 AM PST
Bionix01 says:
Benpachi thank you i tell people that all the time. I never had a Zune but the moment i started using the software on my computer i instantly saw how bad itunes was. The software not only works better in my opinion but it is much more aesthetically pleasing. It looks gorgeous when im playing music

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:04:10 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
That's not really me just so you know.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:04:13 AM PST
I still have and use my 32GB Zune HD on a consistent basis. It's still one of the best PMP's out there and Zune Software puts iTunes to shame (I hate iTunes with a passion). My daughter wanted an iPod Touch (she has the 3rd Gen unit) and my Zune HD runs circles around that thing as far as music is concerned.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:08:47 AM PST
Benpachi says:
I hate itunes so much, it is so cumbersome and confusing, and every time there is an update it's like starting over. The one thing that really bothers me is how itunes breaks up albums when some songs have different writing credits, I have to make separate playlists just to listen to some albums in the correct order.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:35:21 AM PST
Bionix01 says:
Yup that was a huge pet peeve of mine. if i want to listen to the artist for example: Eminem then i want to hear all his music dont move Eminem feat. so and so to a different list.

Or albums not being complete because one song on the album had a space in the wrong place in the credits

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:41:40 AM PST
Perhaps Surface would sell better if they actually included that click keyboard, you know the one that they feature in all the ads but is actually a seperate accessory that costs $120 AKA the cost of a Kindle.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xd9a01d18)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions