Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

somewhat ot: time warner says they charge too much for slow internet speeds because thats what consumers want

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2013 10:35:54 AM PST
Kr155 says:
http://bgr.com/2013/02/28/google-fiber-time-warner-cable-347728/

Consumers have lined up for the gigabit speeds of Google's high-speed Internet service, unfortunately it is only offered in Kansas City. The company has teased expanding the service to additional markets, but until then consumers are forced to rely on traditional cable companies for less than stellar speeds. Despite the success of Google Fiber, Time Warner Cable's (TWC) chief financial officer Irene Esteves claimed consumers don't want breakneck Internet speeds.
"We're in the business of delivering what consumers want, and to stay a little ahead of what we think they will want," the executive said while speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology Conference on Wednesday, according to The Verge. "We just don't see the need of delivering [Google Fiber speeds] to consumers."

Esteves noted that Time Warner has the capability of delivering gigabit speeds and already does for its business customers. She explained, however, only a "very small fraction" of real-world consumers would be interested in these speeds.

Time Warner is content with its current offerings but does seem to be willing to change its policy if Google (GOOG) continues to find success.

"If Google finds the magic pill and finds applications that require that and develops a need for it, well terrific" the executive said. "We would build our product base in order to deliver that."

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 10:38:26 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Talk about being out of touch with your consumer base. IN what world would someone possibly want to pay more for crappy service? This is someone who thinks that meetings with top shareholders represent society as a whole. This guy must be to TWC what Palmer is to Shin-Ra. "Rate hike! Rate hike! Tra-la-la-la-la!"

I'm a TWC customer, and TWC, listen, if Google was offered in SC/NC, I'd dump your company in a half a second.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 10:39:15 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
"We just don't see the need of delivering [Google Fiber speeds] to consumers."

And that is why Google is going to put you out of the internet business.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 10:42:37 AM PST
klopas says:
Yeah, no kidding. I have Time Warner and I'm paying for the 30/5 service. If Google Fiber or Verizon FiOS was available I'd leave Time Warner in a heartbeat.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 10:44:28 AM PST
Google isn't putting any large ISP out of business until they expand their areas. I submitted my zip when they were taking requests, but I don't expect for it to branch out too much if at all for a good while and local ISP's are going to donate enough funds to politicians to keep them out of their areas.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 10:44:49 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I think they really mean, "People don't want fast internet because of the ridiculously high price we'd inevitably charge for it."

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 10:46:25 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
This is why I am a loyal fan of Time Warner. I don't need that newfangled fast web stuff, I like my high costs and slow internet since it lets me enjoy the time slower.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 10:47:58 AM PST
J. says:
Time Warner can't even deliver on their advertised speed in my area. Instead, I get lag spikes and dropped service frequent enough to make times when I need a persistent, reliable, connection a real headache.

If I had another viable option in my area, I would have left a long time ago.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 10:48:35 AM PST
So I guess this is why TWC constantly tops the list of Most Hated Companies. Also people who switch to FiOS are most likely to be former TWC people.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 10:52:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 12:17:33 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Cable companies like Time Warner and Comcast have horrible reputationS, but continue to thrive on the lack of competition. I've never had more than one option for cable internet in any of the places I've lived. However, I think the most immediate threat to them are the expansions of 4G networks and hotspots, not google. There are tons of 4G speedtest results I've seen on friends' phones that put my home internet connection to shame.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 10:55:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 10:55:55 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Time Warner only offers a maximum of 10 Mbps in my area. And I know I love being ripped off, so it's perfect for me!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 10:57:33 AM PST
Every couple months I'm checking if FiOS is available. Damn Comcast, as crappy as you are you are still much better than TWC.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 10:59:12 AM PST
DVvM says:
And yet, butthurt gamers declared EA the worst company in America for some reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:01:02 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
"We just don't see the need of delivering [Google Fiber speeds] to consumers."

Read: "We utterly do not have the resources to implement this kind of thing, so we're gonna pretend consumers simply don't want it."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:02:29 AM PST
DVvM says:
I'm pretty sure they have the resources (maybe not to bring that service to everywhere, but to at the very least significantly improve their infrastructure) they just don't want to because it would be expensive and they can get away with the status quo.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 11:04:52 AM PST
Another Time Warner customer here. Decent advertised speeds but as J. said, frequent lags and dropped service. I have to reboot every week or so because the signal gets lost. Halfway through an Amazon Digital movie I'll get the spinning buffer wheel and then they offer to switch me from HD to SD for "optimum" playback. So much for High-Def movies.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 11:05:25 AM PST
Kruger says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:06:21 AM PST
For many people there isn't an alternative.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 11:08:12 AM PST
The other thing that kills me about Time Warner is how much they spend trying to get me to switch to their "everything" service. Like I would trust them with my phone service after seeing how intermittent their internet and cable TV service is.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:14:41 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
So, the choice is that a handful of people which wouldn't even be representative of the entire consumer base boycotts internet, and what does that do? It just means a handful of people don't have internet. It's not going to turn into a grassroots movement against TWC. Honestly, they probably wouldn't even notice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:17:19 AM PST
Kruger says:
Understood - and, TW is taking total advantage of that.

If a few hundred thousand people lived without internet for a couple of months - in protesting TW's crappy service - I am sure TW would change it's treatment of it's customers. This is a huge undertaking, but it is not impossible. Just imporbable.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:17:51 AM PST
Kr155 says:
Thats a pretty accurate assement

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:38:18 AM PST
What are you saying??? All those gas strikes weren't effective at lowering gas prices??......oh wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 12:03:34 PM PST
Kr155 says:
But thats the worst thing. she specifically says They Can do it and they already do it for business customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 12:05:56 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think the real subtext is "we can do it, but nobody wants to pay what we would need to charge in order to motivate us to do it."
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions