Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Review (Hint: It's Great!)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2013 12:05:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 12:33:17 AM PST

February 18, 2013 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance tries not to waste a moment of your time. In the 4-6 hours required to complete its campaign, you'll cross the globe, have sword-fights with skyscraper-sized mechs, team up with an A.I. dog, explore a science facility with a remote-controlled robot, leap over missiles to chop up helicopters, and fight a metaphor for American evil. Rising is as silly as it sounds, and it knows it.

Developer Platinum Games accomplishes a lot in a short period of time, and while it sometimes gets in its own way, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a tight action game whose campaign moves as quickly as its excellent combat. It's all killer, no filler, with more than enough incentive for repeat play-throughs.

The most consistent issue in Rising is its cutscenes. To its credit, you're rarely made you watch what you'd rather play, but the story bits, interesting though they are for fans, ultimately intrude on the fast-paced flow of combat. The convoluted plot starts as lucidly as the series has ever been, but spirals out of control almost immediately: the assassination of a recovering country's leader sends Raiden, a cyborg ninja, after a terrorist cell that's kidnapping kids and infiltrating America's political infrastructure.

The events of Raiden's retaliation range from goofy and fun, stylish and cool, to overwrought metaphor. The geo-political lecturing seem engineered specifically for fans of Metal Gear Solid 4's melodrama,
but it doesn't connect well with the action. Ultimately, the conversations and character cameos are pure fan-service that everyone else can skip without missing a beat. The relentless act of actually fighting terrorists is what matters here, and there's little need for motivation when the action is this fun.

Rising propels players toward a boss battle every 45 minutes, introduces new enemy types regularly, and unleashes waves of cyborg soldiers to slice with a sword. This is a tight action experience without an ounce of fat, and Rising's pace is just as quick as its technical melee combat. The Metal Gear series traditionally relies on stealth and silenced weapons, but the moment-to-moment action of Rising is an aggressive and elegant alternative.

The light and heavy attacks have a natural chemistry that makes every sword slash feel empowering, so combat never feels like you're budgeting quick but weak strikes vs. slow and strong ones. Each combo flows into the next with grace: lifts, knock-downs, stuns, spin-kicks, aerial juggles, and other specialized attacks feel as fantastic as they look. Raiden's exaggerated acrobatics lend a hypnotic sense of style to each attack, especially as you unlock additional moves with earned currency. By the end of the campaign, and as I began my second run through it, Raiden felt like a balletic badass, using his heels as often as his hands to wield his weapon. Seeing that style is as much a reward as the satisfaction of brutalizing an enemy with a flurry of katana hack-and-slash, sliding underneath someone, redirecting attacks, canceling combos, or letting loose in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance's hook: Blade Mode.

Once Raiden slays enough cyborgs, he can briefly enter the time-slowing Blade Mode and slice his sword in any direction, instantly killing (or severely wounding) nearly anyone with precision strikes. The results are often uncomfortable and/or hilarious. You can chop off legs (or one, if you'd rather), decapitate someone at the eyes, and turn weakened enemies into various, disgusting pieces with a flick of the right stick.

Blade Mode is a fun, sadistic parlor trick, but it's more than a cheap and easy way to win. Slowing time plays a strategic role in combat. Bisecting cyborgs reveals their fuel-filled spines, which Raiden can rip out to replenish his health. Blade Mode also plays a defensive role, which turns a silly finishing move tool into something more skill-based. Cutting protects Raiden from incoming objects (choppers, missiles, other ridiculous things), and wrecking an enemy's weapon prevents them from using it. Slicing certain special enemies' appendages also plays into the upgrade economy, giving you bonus currency to unlock more health, weapon power, and more complex combo arrangements, all of which carry over into a new game plus that holds even more blade types, costumes, and other secrets to discover. Everything feeds into making you feel like a talented combatant who's truly earned satisfying improvements.

The only thing that really holds back Rising's combat is the secondary weapons. Killing bosses allows you to acquire their staffs, sais, and swords, but switching to a secondary tools come with a catch. Alternate weapons replace one of your two normal attack buttons, which neuters katana combos. On top of that, alternating between two weapons doesn't flow together as well as the evolving sword strikes. Switching from one to the next in the middle of a combo has a disjointed feel, a bit like interrupting yourself, as though your new blade wasn't built to work in tandem with the sword. Despite the cumbersome transitions, these extra weapons strengthen Rising's variety. The sai, for example, doesn't deal much damage, but it disrupts cyborg A.I. functions, giving Raiden the opportunity to obliterate a stunned opponent.

The erratic camera poses additional issues as well. Rising is such a fast-paced game, with wild combat that encourages unpredictable attack patterns, that it can't always keep track of Raiden in the thick of battle, especially when large-scale bosses eat up most of the on-screen real estate. Unless you're acutely aware of your next move, Raiden can get lost in his own chaos from time to time. Having to come to a complete stop before changing from grenades to a rocket launcher, or a heavy blade to a faster crowd-control weapon is another inconvenience that's antithetical to Rising's go-go-go mentality.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 12:12:38 AM PST
Jonathan says:
"In the 4-6 hours required to complete its campaign..."

Lost my interest right there. Not worth $60, in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:29:34 AM PST
DVvM says:
Yeah, Destructoid gave it a 9/10 but also said: "Players who don't expect they will return for a second round might consider making Revengeance a rental, however, if they have concerns that its short length won't measure up to the full retail price tag."

So I'll probably just rent it and return it a day or two later.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 12:48:28 AM PST
Prankster says:
Why does Platinum never make a game longer than 6 hours? :(

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:58:49 AM PST
DVvM says:
That's not the real question.

The question is "why do they insist on selling them for $60?"

Short games are fine, I've played and enjoyed lots of short games, but I don't want to pay more than $20-$30 for a 4-6 hour game.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:51:09 AM PST
Prankster says:
Because we all know no one is going to do that. People buy them and as long as that happens, why should they? Sly 4 was an anomaly. No one expected it at all. They were just pleasantly surprised.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:55:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 1:55:35 AM PST
DVvM says:
The PC space has it figured out in terms of selling different games of differing qualities and lengths at different price points. The console space is insane in insisting every single game, no matter how good/bad and long/short should cost the same as every other game. Absolutely bonkers.

It basically kills whole games and genres that games have to "live up" to that $60 price point, and then they fail at convincing people to buy it, and then they're ultimately judged as failures.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:02:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 2:03:57 AM PST
Prankster says:
There are a lot of people who buy games based on the quality rather than the quantity. I am somewhere in between where it's not always about the quantity but sometimes it is. I mean so many people bought Journey for $15 and that was just a 2 hour game. Developers know this and they capitalize on it which is fair on their part.

I wouldn't mind buying Revengeance for $60 even though it's 6 hours in length (which I won't because I never pay more than $25 for any game regardless of length/quality). I don't feel let down by the price at that point of time, I just feel sad I don't get more awesomeness. And in such a scenario, making it a $40 isn't going to make it better.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:28:04 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
There are reasons to play through multiple times.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:49:16 AM PST
Jonathan says:
Yeah, but with my backlog, I rarely go through a campaign more than once unless it offers co-op or a branching storyline. Even if I play this game twice, I'm still only looking at 8 hours or so.

Like DVvM said, this will either be a rental or I'll pick it up in a few years.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 3:00:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 3:03:55 AM PST
MoultonHawk says:
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: 79/100 Meacritic with 25 critics reporting.

Odd that MGR/R and Crysis 3 were released the same day and only 4 Crysis reviews for PC only: 90/100 Metacritic.

Maybe it's because the series isn't as beloved as MGR and you kind of know exactly what your getting with Cry3.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 3:19:04 AM PST
Subject7 says:
I'm curious as to just how much unlockables there are. If it's enough to rival MGS4 (impossible) then I'd buy it full $60 regardless of length.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 3:41:43 AM PST
With straight up action games it is better to be short and replayable than to have any bloat. Also it's not like games don't drop in price fairly quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 3:46:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 3:47:50 AM PST
True enough I got RE6 for $40 after two months of its release, so while I'll definitely get this game I can also wait for the price to drop a little. Especially since two other games are coming out next month that I've already ordered(Tomb Raider/Gears Of War Judgement).

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 3:49:41 AM PST
Subject7 says:
The Crysis 3 amazon offer is still up but no review! Aaarrghh what's taking so long? Is that a bad sign?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 3:52:33 AM PST
Well it isn't a long game so perhaps people had more time to right the mgr:r review.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 3:53:17 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
EA and review embargos almost go hand-to-hand. If I had to guess I would expect to see reviews around noon time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:10:51 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
geez. i thought the opening cut scenes for metal gear games were 4-6 hours alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:10:59 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Bayonetta is more than 6 hours long. And I'd rather have a game like this be shorter and full of replay value anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:14:46 AM PST
Games like this I think cap out at about 8 hours. Longer than that and it is going to have pacing problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:16:37 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
That's about how long Bayonetta is on a first playthrough.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:18:21 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
God of War feels really, really long. I don't remember it feeling this long and boring on the PS2. It has me questioning whether or not I'm actually going to be able to play through the entire Saga or if I'm going to have to break it up into games just to get a break for my poor square button.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:20:59 AM PST
A Customer says:
Stopped reading after "4-6 hours required to complete its campaign".... I'll wait until it's under $20.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:22:14 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
You probably should have read more. Like where it says that there are multiple paths in the missions (stealth vs straight up action) and collectables.

Wait, that was in the Destructoid review; this IGN review is terrible.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:23:50 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Couldn't even swing a 9GN?

‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
AngryJoe gave Battlefront a 5/10 122 1 minute ago
Amazon metrics show that shoppers are heavily favoring PS4, while Xbox One games get left in the dust 143 8 minutes ago
Microsoft VP: Xbox One Will Never Come Without Kinect 94 11 minutes ago
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes 2.0 Patch update releasing Dec 2nd 1 12 minutes ago
New Nintendo accounts launch in Japan; Club Nintendo replacement? 1 17 minutes ago
What flat panel tv are you using for gaming? 36 17 minutes ago
InfoScout confirms Xbox One Gears of War bundle was top Black Friday gaming purchase 43 19 minutes ago
Destiny PS4 VGF Clan v4.0 1486 20 minutes ago
Really cool. Awards show December 3rd 9pET/6PT 3 24 minutes ago
Final Fantasy IX 98 24 minutes ago
I want this game 4 25 minutes ago
OT: Post The Song That Is Currently Stuck In Your Head... 39 29 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions