Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Report: Police Consider Sandy Hook Shooter a `Deranged Gamer' Who Tried to Outscore Other Killers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2013 8:13:24 AM PDT
Waldo says:
Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza maintained a spreadsheet filled with information from mass killings from the past and further alleges that it's a major sign of how video games influenced the mindset and planning of Lanza's terrible act of lethal violence, according to a front page story in today's New York Daily News.

A law enforcement source who spoke to the Daily News says Lanza's spreadsheet, which allegedly measures 7 feet by 4 feet, contained information on the weapons various killers used and the number of people killed. They say it amounted to a grisly high score list, one that Lanza wanted to wind up on top of:

"They don't believe this was just a spreadsheet. They believe it was a score sheet," the newspaper's source continued. "This was the work of a video gamer, and that it was his intent to put his own name at the very top of that list. They believe that he picked an elementary school because he felt it was a point of least resistance, where he could rack up the greatest number of kills. That's what (the Connecticut police) believe."

The existence of the spreadsheet came to light during the International Association of Police Chiefs and Colonels conference, which the News' source had attended. Col. Danny Stebbins from the Connecticut State Police spoke at the law enforcement convention and his presentation talked about how the state's police community are tying together this spreadsheet to Lanza's obsession with video games. The Daily News report named no specific games that Lanza may have played, which is standard in mainstream news reports.

"It really was like he was lost in one of his own sick games," the paper's source went on. "That's what we heard. That he learned something from his game that you learn in (police) school, about how if you're moving from room to room - the way he was in that school - you have to reload before you get to the next room. Maybe he has a 30-round magazine clip, and he's only used half of it. But he's willing to dump 15 rounds and have a new clip before he arrives in the next room."

The source says that Lanza's methods in the shooting were: "Classic police training. Or something you learn playing kill games."

Lanza is described not as a typical gamer but as a deranged one: "They believe that (Lanza) believed that it was the way to pick up the easiest points. It's why he didn't want to be killed by law enforcement. In the code of a gamer, even a deranged gamer like this little bastard, if somebody else kills you, they get your points. They believe that's why he killed himself."

The impulse many people who love and play video games will be to complain about mainstream media again blaming games for horrible real-world violence. The wake of the Newtown massacre has seen politicians and pundits of every stripe weighing on how best to evaluate the effect video games may have on behavior, especially when it comes to people like Lanza, who was presumably mentally ill.

However, the urge to defend video games and those who play them shouldn't prevent us from considering that, a killer like Lanza may have drawn some sick influence from playing a shooter game.

http://kotaku.com/5991082/report-police-consider-sandy-hook-shooter-a-deranged-gamer-who-tried-to-outscore-other-killers?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:14:08 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
BAAAAAA

Someone order a scapegoat? One scapegoat ready for delivery.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:16:01 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
"In the code of a gamer, even a deranged gamer like this little bastard, if somebody else kills you, they get your points. They believe that's why he killed himself."

Wow. This guy has never played a game ever. The only way that would make sense is if Lanza was in the school carrying a flag and he was afraid the cops would kill him and take his flag, then score points.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:16:49 AM PDT
Damn, every time! I'm just trying to order some curried goat, not scapegoat gaming.

WORST
INDIAN RESTAURANT
EVER!

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:17:24 AM PDT
Soulshine says:
"The source says that Lanza's methods in the shooting were: "Classic police training. Or something you learn playing kill games."

I heard his favorite was Kill Game IV: The Killening Returns.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:18:03 AM PDT
Work keeps slapping me with sexual harassment suits, I keep telling them I'm just rubbing up against those people to recharge my scarf.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:19:59 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
That got several GotY awards if I remember as well as the award for "Game most likely to make you commit mass homicide."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:20:44 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
I just finished Catcher in the Rye. I don't get what the MUST KILL REAGAN!

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:22:39 AM PDT
Apparently he didnt read the rules. Kids arent worth that many points. He should have known that points are calculated based off many things, difficulty being one. Sure you could get a decent amount of points on easy mode, but Hard mode is a whole new beast with a completely different scoring level. He should have shot up like a gang hideout or something.

In all seriousness though, while my son is only a few months old, it sickens me to see the amount of violence towards children anymore.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:24:21 AM PDT
Waldo says:
Imagine if Rockstar released Bully in this day and age of sensitive Pussy cats out there?

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:25:22 AM PDT
Voice of god says:
Sounds to me like he was using video games to learn police tactics, not video game tactics.

So I blame the police for coming up with ways to effectively storm a building.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:25:57 AM PDT
The 90's?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:28:05 AM PDT
Voice of god says:
They did. Bully came out in 2006. People raged about it then, too, even though there was no reason to.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:29:56 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Rockstar completely changed the game due to the media backlash that their original concept had garnered.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:30:25 AM PDT
Kr155 says:
Well It looks like he really was inspired by video games. It's not a shocker to me. Video games are a huge part of current popular culture, They inspire alot of things. I don't mean to sound cold, but if you want freedom you have to take the good with the bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:33:40 AM PDT
Voice of god says:
I never heard anything about any concept other than the one that they ended up using. All I remember was Jack Thompson hearing that there was a game called "Bully" from the makers of GTA and that's all he needed to RAGE.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:34:49 AM PDT
"They believe that he picked an elementary school because he felt it was a point of least resistance, where he could rack up the greatest number of kills."

He wasn't a true gamer, then. That's like playing easy mode. You need to start at LEAST at the police station to rack up point modifiers (x2). From there, I think it goes SWAT (x3), FBI (x4), National Guard (x5), military (x6)...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:36:44 AM PDT
Voice of god says:
This is a good point. He had a spreadsheet that police think looked like a score sheet. Scores didn't exist before video games. And gamers are notorious for their use of Excel.

It was definitely video games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:37:32 AM PDT
"That he learned something from his game that you learn in (police) school, about how if you're moving from room to room - the way he was in that school - you have to reload before you get to the next room. Maybe he has a 30-round magazine clip, and he's only used half of it. But he's willing to dump 15 rounds and have a new clip before he arrives in the next room."

This is basic stuff, taught in the military as well. Surely the military and police didn't learn it from video games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:38:33 AM PDT
Doh, ninja'd!

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:39:53 AM PDT
Uh, didn't he go to shooting ranges with his mom and a police officer?

Could he have possibly heard of swapping mags between rooms from a conversation his mother and the officer may have had during one of their range visits?

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:43:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 8:44:46 AM PDT
what class was he using? what specializations/perks did he have? were his guns glitched? what was his rank?
we need more evidence to confirm whether or not this was influenced by video games!!

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:46:42 AM PDT
Maybe The Harbringer got t...ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:46:52 AM PDT
SMH says:
Eh, this article is plausible. Around here we just refuse to accept the premise that video games could ever cause someone to do something violent, even if it is misguided.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:47:54 AM PDT
Waldo says:
What video game was Hitler playing?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions