Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: World War Z Trailer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2012 6:17:43 PM PST
C.W. says:
I searched and I don't think anyone brought this up, but the trailer for World War Z is up. Looks like it might be awesome. I haven't read the books, but the trailer definitely got my interest...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/worldwarz/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:23:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 6:24:03 PM PST
I've read some of the book a few years back but I didn't finish it because it was rather dull to be honest (plus I was borrowing it from a friend) but this is looking like it's own beast from the book which was basically a collection of short stories from various survivors during the zombie outbreak.

And for those of us who don't care to use anything related to Apple (I didn't want to update QuickTime because nothing uses QuickTime, get with the times Apple) here's the Youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md6Dvxdr0AQ&feature=g-hist

Looking pretty damn good I have to say and this definitely has my interest. Been awhile since we had a high production value zombie movie like this and I'm curious to see what all they do with it. May need to get the book just to finish it so I can figure out if anything ties into the movie.

Edit: I just looked over my bookshelf and I actually own World War Z yet I have no memory of making that purchase... I'm gonna blame this one on Amazon.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:30:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 6:30:48 PM PST
Netolic says:
the movie and the book both have different plot from each other

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:39:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 6:43:46 PM PST
That was pretty crazy.

Not sure how I feel about the zombies being more agile and quick like they were in 28 Days Later and the Dawn of the Dead remake. The trailer did look really good though. Plus, I'm a big fan of Brad Pitt.

I also like how the movie shows the view from all over the world, it's not just in America, it's across the globe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:30:05 PM PST
Nicos says:
I dug how they were basically a tidal wave of zombies tearing through stuff. It looked so crazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:35:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 11:42:41 PM PST
I did think that looked cool. I think the zombies are going to be like some sort of hive mind, maybe like out of The Last of Us.

I couldn't imagine having a flood of zombies coming at me like that.

From what I heard they are trying to make it into a trilogy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:49:59 PM PST
Anthony says:
they are actually making a movie about that? i remember reading part of the book a few years back and it boring the hell out of me. one of the few times i didn't finish a book i was reading.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:50:19 PM PST
After looking into it more they are not really zombies at all, and I was kinda right about them being a hive mind. Plus it could be PG-13.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/08/brad-pitt-world-war-z-photo/

It's panic in the street in this exclusive new photo from next summer's World War Z, the most expensive zombie project in Hollywood history and the most focused effort to date by Brad Pitt (center) to add something new to his varied career: the first multi-film popcorn franchise that he can claim as his and his alone.
Pitt plays Gerald Lane, a United Nations researcher watching civilization teeter on collapse in the face of a rapacious army of rasping death. How can the relentless hordes be stopped? To answer that question, Lane accepts a mission that pulls him away from his family (Mireille Enos of AMC's now-terminated series The Killing plays his wife) and sends him on a global search for the plague's dark origins - and, yes, that fact-finding odyssey just might take three PG-13 films to complete, if World War Z gets a lively response at the box office.
First the $180 million project will have to overcome a bumpy production that already has vultures circling overhead. Filming began in summer of 2011 with an eye toward a release this holiday season, but as weeks became months the disagreements grew between director Marc Forster (Finding Neverland) and producer-star Pitt. Earlier this year, the December release date was tossed out the window, and in the summer, the third act of Matthew Carnahan's script got the same sort of farewell fling. Despite the third act footage that was already in the can, Prometheus writer Damon Lindelof was brought in to write a new ending - both literally and figuratively - for the venture. Of course, the new scenes and re-shoots pushed the film costs up as well, putting more pressure on all involved...
EW DAILY POLL: I think 'Skyfall' will be...
Insiders promise the new ending was worth the cost and they say the film still has plenty of the inventive spirit of the source material, the 2006 bestseller World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (who, by the way, is the writing offspring of Mel Brooks). And there is a market for zombie sagas if you go by the millions of viewers who tune in to The Walking Dead on AMC and the fact that Resident Evil now has five installments. But World War Z will also feel the hot Internet wrath of purist fans who are offended that the film's zombies might be better described as the running dead. That's because World War Z follows in the fleet footsteps of Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake in 2005 with its flouting of the shambling zombie tradition set down by George A. Romero's genre-sparking films, beginning with Night of the Living Dead in 1968.
Visual effects supervisor John Nelson (Iron Man) said World War Z's zombies lean more toward sci-fi transformation victims rather than supernatural resurrection subjects. That led to a lot of research into animal behavior, especially for creatures under the amok-time sway of predator appetite or spawning urge.
"They are like predatory animals that can't control themselves," Nelson said. "I worked with tigers [while shooting Gladiator], and if you watch them when a horse goes by they go batty, even if they know they can't reach it. When Zs see humans they do same thing, they activate. They launch themselves."
He went on to add: "There are a lot of things in nature we're mining as references. They move like birds or school of fish, too, in reactive formations, and it's not because they have a higher level of [shared] thinking or communication - it's about their nature and the fact that their instinct to infect is so basic, efficient, and overpowering. They will go through anything. If they lose both legs, they will walk on their hands. They lock in and they're like salmon going upstream or sperm swimming to be the first to egg."
Unlike most fresh-water fish or spermatozoa, the zombies in the movie are resourceful when it comes to helicopter attacks. At one point in the film, a surging crowd of Zs climb up and over each other to create a writhing, wobbling column of infected flesh. "Everyone has seen everything in this genre," Nelson said. "So of course we looked to try to find something new. And we have some."
Time will tell if the slow-moving production with fast-moving zombies finds a foothold in a crowded summer, but maybe Pitt and Paramount should look the challenges dead in the eye and wink at them - and one place to start is by resurrecting an especially fitting movie-poster motto from old Hollywood: "Run - don't walk - to theaters!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:26:22 AM PST
Ice King says:
Yeah, that was pretty cool. I don't think I've ever seen that done before.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:32:26 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 9, 2012 5:37:50 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:32:37 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
This looks nothing like the book but I don't see how they could really do a movie on just that. Hopefully it will be as cool as it looks.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:42:42 AM PST
Chris... says:
Looks like the prequel to I am Legend.

I loved the book and I'm a little upset that the movie won't follow the format of the book, but just like the above mentioned I am Legend, that movie wasn't anything like the book at all either but it was still good. So I'm still excited about this one. Looks good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:43:07 AM PST
Ice King says:
Golly, that sure stinks (I guess the S word is getting messages deleted now).

I don't mind running zombies, and I can even live with living "zombies" and a hive mind, but if this is PG-13 I'm staying away.
It's bad enough we've had butchered versions of Die Hard, Terminator, and Aliens vs Predator, but zombie movies need the R rating. If they water this down to sell tickets to children it will make this just as forgettable as every other R rated movie that was neutered.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:09:32 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Sounds like 28 Days Later with Brad Pitt instead of World War Z.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:34:20 AM PST
Meth Panther says:
I thought the book was dull at first, but it got way better in the second half. I would recommend finishing it.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:49:25 AM PST
bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:12:18 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I don't understand how this would work with a central character as the book World War Z was a collection of eyewitness reports told first hand to the author after the fact. Unless Brad Pitt is the author, I have to question why they even needed this license to make this movie?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:16:31 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I could see it happening. Film it documentary style following the reporter as he interviews survivors whose stories are told in flashback sequences. Unfortunately Brad Pitt decided to make it his next action movie vehicle.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:18:10 AM PST
Here's another link that doesn't require quicktime: http://www.cine-vue.com/2012/11/preview-brad-pitt-vs-horde-in-world-war.html

Impressive; my favorite part of almost any movie like this is the build up, the realization... it looks like a masterful opening, showing the stuff that 28 Days Later and many others skip.
I read (and finished!) the book; it didn't leave much of an impression. Great title, though.
And dang, movies have gone from sleepwalking slave zombies to shambling brain-eating zombies to fast-moving zombies. I guess the next step in this evolution is a wave of cockroach-like horde zombies who can pile up like nanobots. That shot of them storming a wall reminds me of the bugs in Starship Troopers. A little too much, maybe?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:56:24 AM PST
"And there is a market for zombie sagas if you go by the millions of viewers who tune in to The Walking Dead on AMC and the fact that Resident Evil now has five installments."

Guessing no research went into this quote considering Resident Evil 6 just released and they are saying there are only five installments...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:01:34 AM PST
Ice King says:
Five movies though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:06:49 AM PST
Those count?! But they're horrible! Even more so than the games now!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:12:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:13:04 AM PST
Ice King says:
I liked the first two, but lost interest when they went the post-apocalyptic route.
But yeah, even if we don't like them that's what they were probably talking about when they said five installments.
Even though it's technically seven if you count the animated movies but those were direct to video.
And there's actually eight console games counting Code Veronica and Zero.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:24:50 AM PST
The first two were okay but off in tone from the games and I didn't like how they added Alice in for no reason at all. The third film was everything fell apart I think and what potential they had was squandered.

Didn't think about the films when reading the article, I just try to forget about them... Always trying to forget...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:28:45 AM PST
Ice King says:
Good point about Alice. She was pretty unecessary, they already had female characters they could have used, there was no need to make a new one.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Microsoft: "Call of Duty following Advanced Warfare to be Xbox exclusive." 22 19 seconds ago
Bungie has more PS-exclusive news for Destiny: PS4 and PS3 get cross-platform play, while Microsoft "won't allow it" on Xbox 5 36 seconds ago
Rumor: Devil May Cry Ultimate Coming to Xbox One and PS4. To be Announced at Gamescom? 4 47 seconds ago
NeoGaf: Once Hyped Games That Are Now Completely Forgotten 120 3 minutes ago
PC build question 30 4 minutes ago
MIA*˛ 2310 5 minutes ago
Immature Gaming Habits Past and Present 7 5 minutes ago
Three games from last gen games that i would love to see a sequal for but probably never will 32 6 minutes ago
Well, it's been a great time here, but I'm checking out in 2 weeks. 38 9 minutes ago
Weekend Gaming Recap and Weekly Gaming 7/14-7/17 41 10 minutes ago
OT: Weird Al is putting out 8 new music videos over 8 days and here is the first one. 1 11 minutes ago
Zelda U Collector's Edition Wii U Bundle Announced, Will Include Exclusive Amiibo Character 18 15 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions