Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Gamestop charged me for the Wii U

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 5:34:06 AM PST
Ice King says:
I noticed my balance was $400 less than it should so I checked my account and it looks like Gamestop took the money out this weekend. Has anyone else been charged yet?
And does anyone know if this means I'll definitely be getting one at launch or do they just charged everyone and sort things out if they have any problems?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:56:28 AM PST
nkilburne says:
I didn't pre-order a Wii U, but GameStop/Amazon/BestBuy/etc typically only charge when they're prepping for shipment. If there isn't a Wii U "with your name on it," you shouldn't be getting charged.

I'd say it's okay to have mild levels of excitement :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:12:52 AM PST
Jawwaad says:
When I pre ordered the Ezio Gaunlet from Gamestop, they took the money out of my account 1 week early. Most likely if they took the money out, they have one for you

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:18:05 AM PST
FOGE says:
Im sure you'll get one. I imagine that Gamestop has them in store already and will be shipping soon since they charged you.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:22:09 AM PST
J. Arthur says:
GameStop stores have started receiving their shipments of Wii U systems. Found that out when I picked up Paper Mario 3DS yesterday.

Most GameStop stores will not be doing midnight release for Wii U as they have found that midnight releases on Saturday/Sunday are not as well attended. In addition, GameStop stores are only receiving the exact number of systems that they have preorders for, so if an individual store did not get a significant number of preorders, it really is not worth it for them to do the midnight launch. I was told that most GameStop stores will be doing an early open on Sunday, November 18th instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:24:15 AM PST
Ice King says:
That's weird, I would have thought a weekend midnight release would attract a lot more people since most people don't have to work the next day.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:26:37 AM PST
J. Arthur says:
@Ice King--I thought the same exact thing and I was surprised to hear differently. I am rarely able to attend the Monday night/Tuesday ones for that very reason.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:26:48 AM PST
They probably just ran an authorization to verify the funds availability.

This is common practice with almost every retailer I've encountered when backordering/preordering an item.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:28:40 AM PST
J. Arthur says:
It is common practice for GameStop to do an authorization hold. They always run the authorization on your card about a week or so before the item ships. In fact, my card was authorized this morning for my Persona 4 Solid Gold Edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:31:24 AM PST
Another reason I from IGN or Nintendo@Fb (forget which) is that GS decided not to have midnight release events for security/safety reasons (aka desperate/crazy people outside stores waiting to mug those attending said event).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:32:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 6:32:56 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Why would anyone want to mug children? That's so messed up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:34:02 AM PST
Ice King says:
Ever heard the saying "like taking candy from a baby?"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:34:58 AM PST
or manchildren for that matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:36:38 AM PST
Like Ice King said, it's way easier than mugging grown ups.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:36:53 AM PST
I think it's more that people are more likely to have evening plans on the weekend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:37:33 AM PST
Right, same reason why Thursday night is the prime night for TV shows and not Saturday.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:09:51 AM PST
I got charged too! They said they wouldn't do that until the product ships...so does this mean we get the Wii U early?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:11:11 AM PST
Don't get too excited Garion, remember the last time that happened? You, me and major disappointment.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:20:35 AM PST
J. Arthur says:
Garion--it is just an authorization to ensure that your card had the necessary funds available. Depending on the shipping method that you chose from gamestop.com, you will get your Wii U on Monday the 19th or later.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:38:00 AM PST
Lucanus says:
It shipped early. My wife just signed for it. The U is at my house. I will probably be taking a half day. Can't wait to check it out.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:46:42 AM PST
Uhh yeah its Observed Veteran's Day, there is no delivery today. Nice try though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:47:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:48:12 AM PST
Ice King says:
I'm pretty sure UPS and FedEx are still delivering today. This is one of those half assed holidays that a lot of people get stuck working. Like me.

No offense to veterans, I meant that the holiday is handled poorly, not that veterans don't deserve respect.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:49:05 AM PST
Pretty freakin sweet. Let us know your impressions after your imminent gaming binge.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:49:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:49:55 AM PST
Isn't that only for USPS?

EDIT: Ninja'd

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:51:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:52:07 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Based on the looking at pictures of the box that my wife sent me, there are two things that I am certain of.

1) Easily the greatest video game system to ever be released and it will sell at least 1,000,000,000 units.

2) My wife looks great in the buff.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions