Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I'm getting the Mass Effect trilogy today and I've never played any of the games. Any tips?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 119 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2013 7:07:09 AM PST
Derek says:
Do you all have any tips for me before I start on, what I'm sure is gonna be an incredible adventure? I'm pretty excited, I've heard so much about these games!

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 7:08:29 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
They're not very difficult games, so don't worry about it. enjoy.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 7:11:53 AM PST
I.Flores says:
Vivarin, Caffeine Alertness Aid, 50packs x 2 to a Pack

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 7:14:41 AM PST
Coffee says:
Play as a Vanguard for all 3. You're welcome.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 7:16:08 AM PST
Enjoy the hell out of them, try not to read any spoilers online.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:16:51 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Don't be disheartened if you find yourself bored on the Citadel. Admittedly, that portion can be dull, and it takes a bit to get revved up. But give it some time - it gets SO much better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:17:33 AM PST
This too, by the time you're on Virmire you won't be able to put it down.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 7:19:49 AM PST
I'm also thinking that at some point in my life I might pick this up as I feel I've heard enough praise by now. The question I have is gameplay. Poor gameplay is a dealbreaker for me and I know that from 1 to 3 the gameplay changes a lot (at least that is what I've come to understand). If this is true should I perhaps just jump in starting at ME2?

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 7:21:38 AM PST
FOGE says:
Quit your job. Dump your girlfriend. And say goodbye to the sun. These games will consume you.

Seriously though, give it time. The game takes a little bit to build up. Once you finish the mission on Virmire you should be hooked.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:21:58 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Just buy the trilogy when it's cheap and try to start with the first game.

The gameplay definitely improved drastically with the 2nd and 3rd, but it's not really terrible in the first.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 7:22:45 AM PST
BryanOPs says:
dont give up on the game because of mineral searching, seriously

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:23:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 7:23:45 AM PST
Coffee says:
Nah, the comic doesn't really do ME1 justice. It's worth a playthrough at least. Just know that if you like TPS a lot, you'll really enjoy 2 and 3 more. But there are enough of those elements in 1 to keep you satisfied.

I may be one of thoe few who actually preferred the combat/gameplay in 1 more than the others...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:24:12 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I feel like you'd really be missing out on some great moments if you skipped the first game. I wouldn't call the gameplay "poor" in the first one, it's just not very refined. You've been able to enjoy a Bethesda game despite the combat, so I think you could do that here as well.

That said, if the only way you'd ever play the series is to skip the first one, go for it. The second and third game are totally worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:24:36 AM PST
The first game doesn't really play like a current gen TPS. Your shooting is based on your skill points with the gun, so you will be somewhat inaccurate at first, but you will still be okay. As far as general "gameplay" aside from shooting, there is nothing wrong with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:33:47 AM PST
Good mothauckfin' choice, mothaufcka!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:35:08 AM PST
Probably still going to get baleeted, just so you know.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 7:50:38 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Just know the Citadel is really really boring at the start. Just power through it, the payoff is worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:54:08 AM PST
Coffee says:
Am....am I the only person who didn't find the Citadel to be boring? It's where I learned about the Mass Effect universe! Sure, not much combat was had there, but exploration and learning opportunities were ample!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:55:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 7:56:51 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Nope, I loved all of those games from start to finish.

Even resource scanning.

Edit: But that is coming from the guy who's been reading up on all the local delicasies and fashion styles of every new region he travels to in Ni No Kuni.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:56:42 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I remember thinking, "This is what the hype was all about? I'm kind of regretting this purchase..." *leaves the Citadel* "Holy wow! This is great! Best game of the generation!"

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 7:57:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 7:57:19 AM PST
Breeze says:
If you are playing the PC version, you can just do the main storyline for the first game and then hack in side-quest options for the second game. Makes getting multiple characters through the series a lot more tolerable. Also, console commands work on the first game, allowing you to give Shepard and co. god-like power, which also helps getting through the series. The first game was good, but very long, and the gameplay got progressively more boring between plot stuff (if you're doing all side quests, at some point during the first game you'll find yourself impossibly to kill, yet it will still take quite a bit of time to kill every enemy). I made a point of playing through without cheating once, but on the rest of my characters it didn't take long for me to just say "***** it" and get a 1 hit-kills-all gun.

Class choice in the first game does not carry over to the 2nd due to the dramatic change in gameplay, so don't worry about it too much. However, choices do carry over, and the default path tends to have your Shepard slightly worse off, so it's important to do every time consuming quest, or just get a hack and maybe watch a video of the event so you know which option your Shepard would pick. If you do hack in the decisions, they only take place when starting a new game and importing the file with the decisions on it, so there's no mid-game decision swapping, so be aware of that if you go with that option.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:58:00 AM PST
I didn't either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:58:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 7:59:20 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Here's my first piece of actual advice, don't read the post above ninja Punk's.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 8:01:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 8:03:30 AM PST
Breeze says:
I liked the Citadel the first time I played. However, on successive playthroughs I just wanted to get the dang thing over with and desperately wanted a Persona 3 Portable style map traversing. Even with the turbo speed code on, it was annoying getting from conversation person A to conversation person B due to all the walls and distance and stuff.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 8:03:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 8:06:26 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy learning about the ME universe, but that section was slow and plodding and felt like pure info dump at times.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  119
Initial post:  Jan 25, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions