Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Puerto Ricans opt for statehood in referendum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 118 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:36:26 PM PST
Anthony says:
but i DO like the number 50. :(

honestly, i don't really care either way. though i do wonder what states would lose seats in the house as a result of them becoming a state. i don't remember if the same thing applies to electoral votes or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:38:19 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Yeah, there're a bunch with Native American names.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:37:22 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Yep, Montana is "mountain" and Colorado is "red colored" or "having a red hue."

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:37:19 PM PST
And Native American names, too: Alaska, Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, the Dakotas... (not a definitive list)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:35:35 PM PST
Soulshine says:
If only they stuck with Nueva Mexico.

I didn't think of Montana (mountain?) and Colorado (?) - I thought of those names having some Native American influence instead of Spanish.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:31:07 PM PST
Harmicky says:
I know you're joking, but did you know that six states already have spanish names? Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Montana, and Nevada. There's your trivia for today!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:28:37 PM PST
Harmicky says:
"I'm not saying it will be 100% perfect all the time but just that it is no reason to deny statehood."

Oh, absolutely not. If you refer back to my original post on the topic, I'm 100% pro PR statehood. I was just listing some of the possible reasons people may be against it, other than the asinine ones like "but I like the number 50."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:26:32 PM PST
Soulshine says:
Must change state name to Rich Port. Or Richport.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:26:21 PM PST
Harmicky says:
I have a Puerto Rican, a Dominican, and a Cuban all on my street. My neighborhood has the spanish speaking Caribbean islands well represented!

We hang out outside after work a lot (King of the Hill style), and they often like to compare and contrast different foods and drinks of their various origins, and I always like, "Well, in NC where I'm from we like to eat lots of pork and greens. What? Not interesting? No? Ok, let's talk about your thing."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:21:38 PM PST
Well luckily they already teach all their students english starting in elementary school. Also just because something must be written in english doesn't preclude it being written in other languages. Also, as is the case with international politics, many may also have translators.

I'm not saying it will be 100% perfect all the time but just that it is no reason to deny statehood.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:18:26 PM PST
I work with a few people from Puerto Rico and they are very well spoken and one can even speak with an American accent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:17:27 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Yep, that is exactly what I mean. There's no particular need to change the family/cultural language, but as a US state, their government would need to switch to english.

It sounds easier than it actually may be. You should read about the process of granting statehood to New Mexico and the processes they had to go to to implement use of the english language.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:14:30 PM PST
Harmicky says:
My next door neighbor is Puerto Rican, and he speaks exceptionally good english and spanish. Different groups assigning different meanings to words does not always equate to misuse, but rather distinction in dialect. And if you don't think that every single hispanic group/country doesn't speak a different spanish dialect, then you are misinformed.

I find that it's best not to make sweeping generalizations of entire people groups. You should try it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:12:17 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I think the "official government language" may refer to the official language of the state government. As in any state law, assembly, anything official is conducted/written in English.

But I don't know why it's a "major concern". Maybe just getting local participation of citizens that don't speak/aren't strong speakers of the language.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:07:53 PM PST
"One of the major concerns of granting statehood to PR is that the official government language would need to switch to english"
Why? English isn't the official language of the United States. there isn't an official language.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:49:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 10:49:50 AM PST
Xavier 7 says:
Good point, sir!

However, they are exceptionally bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:45:31 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
"Have you ever heard a Puerto Rican speak English? Not pretty."

How is this any different than most English-speakers in America already?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:41:48 AM PST
Xavier 7 says:
"One of the major concerns of granting statehood to PR is that the official government language would need to switch to english"

Have you ever heard a Puerto Rican speak English? Not pretty.

Have you ever heard a Puerto Rican speak Spanish? Even worse.

Pro Tip: A Guagua (pronounced "wawa") is not a bus to the rest of us hispanics.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:38:44 AM PST
I meant the former.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:38:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 7:38:53 AM PST
they do. each state's elected represenatatives in Congress get to vote on it.

or do you mean whether other US states want to be a state?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:59:48 AM PST
"Puerto Ricans opt for statehood in referendum"
Shouldn't this be something the other U.S. states get to vote on, too?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:54:52 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
"He Hates These Cans! Stay Away From The Cans!"

I'm trying to sneak in a good quote from The Jerk.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:54:34 PM PST
Yeah, that's what I was telling my husband earlier today. That would be pretty cool.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 8:53:45 PM PST
KrisCo says:
Would be cool to see a new state enter the country during your lifetime. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:51:02 PM PST
Well I do like escargot. You may have a point.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions