Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion 3DS Demo

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:50:44 PM PST
Nicos says:
Oh yea. Personally I was all about Quackshot though...

So I played the 360 Demo. It was alright. I kinda wished they went the Zelda/Mario route and didn't have the characters be fully voiced liked that. The cutscene also made me want a game that was done completely in that art style.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:31:37 PM PST
saskamazon says:
I downloaded it tonight ... so will check it out tomorrow & see the differences between the 2 versions .... looking fwd. to it after all the positive statements here .... & after reading the article on the 1st page, it sounds as though they are 2 different games ....

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:03:39 PM PST
I was checking out to see what other people thought and came across this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/665691-epic-mickey-the-power-of-illusion/64572199

My head hurts.

And the user's name is "iloveheavyrain," haha.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:54:09 PM PST
Brent says:
I'm impressed by the demo, it was a lot of fun. The demo was very long but the ending was such a tease though.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:04:21 PM PST
Hey says:
Semi-related, but does anyone else remember Micky Mania from back in the day? That was a fantastic game. This thread has inspired me to break my copy out tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:51:04 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
If you read the article on the first page, it'll tell you a bit more info. They are completely different games.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:49:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 1:50:26 PM PST
Yep, entirely different games. Both seem pretty good from the demos, but I also enjoyed the first Epic Mickey. 2 would probably be better for you and your son since it has co-op. Definitely getting it for 3DS, undecided if I get the console version at launch or wait until it drops in price.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:51:34 PM PST
saskamazon says:
maybe they are played differently - will have to DL the 3DS demo onto my XL & then compare them ... things just got more complicated - as then my kiddo may wish for both versions - yikes !

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:49:09 PM PST
I've only looked at the 3DS version but it's more of a sequel to the Genesis game and is a side scroller. I thought the PS3 version was more in line with original Epic Mickey.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:46:01 PM PST
saskamazon says:
lol - hey, I'm a fan of your artistic creations - the more the better ! do you think the 3DS version is vastly different ? I've heard reference to the stylus use, which obviously the PS3 demo does not have ... wonder if they will be the same game or different ? for example, Skylanders on console is entirely a different game than the 3DS version ...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:43:52 PM PST
If you don't play the 3DS demo I'm going to draw more art and send it out.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:41:48 PM PST
saskamazon says:
I haven't tried the 3DS demo, but did DL it to the PS3 - my son played through it twice & has headed back to his Wii to go through the original Epic Mickey - so it's looking like a Christmas gift, & then I'll also give it a go ... graphics are pretty spot on, really feel like you've entered the Walt Disney World ...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:32:04 PM PST
Alright, let's start over.

I commented that the physics in this demo are floaty. I also commented that if somedody doesn't like the floaty controls in LBP then this "MAY" be an issue. Keyword: may. I didn't say the controls were the same. Only that somebody who doesn't like floaty controls in one "MAY MAY MAY MAY MAY" not like them here.

Do you find those two comments controversial? I really don't see what you're issue is over two comments out of a larger post about impressions of a DEMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:23:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 12:25:15 PM PST
Each limb animates, yes, but the spazzing out part comes down to physics.

I also don't like "floaty" controls, but this felt worlds apart from the physics in LBP.

Good to see people liked the demo. I thought the Power of Two demo was okay, but Power of Illusion seems to be better.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:11:12 AM PST
This doesn't feel floaty in the way that LBP does, this game is fun.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:10:35 AM PST
I enjoyed the demo immensely. I thought the mechanics were right on and I never felt lost for what I needed to do. This may have just become a day one purchase.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:36:57 AM PST
Just finished the demo and I really enjoyed it. Old school platforming, reminds me of Mickey's Magical Quest on SNES. Sprites, backgrounds and the whole art style of the game are very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:43:23 AM PST
" The physics are much different than LBP. Unlike Sackboy, you jump a lot higher, and Mickey doesn't have individual limbs that spaz out"

You do jump higher but the "spazzing " of limbs in LBP is animation, not physics. Switching between planes does not impact the floatiness. I happen to love both LBP and this demo. I only mentioned that because I know a fair number of VGFers don't like floaty physics in platformers.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:55:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 6:56:23 PM PST
The physics are much different than LBP. Unlike Sackboy, you jump a lot higher, and Mickey doesn't have individual limbs that spaz out. In addition, there's no weird switching planes stuff going on.

I don't care for LBP and loved the demo for this.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:11:33 PM PST
My thoughts...

The physics are very floaty. If you don't like LBP's floatiness this game may bug you. Mickey's most basic is to bounce on enemies. The thing is you have to press the B button twice. Once to jump and once you make contact with the bad guy or else you'll take damage. If you've played a lot of Mario lately this may confuse you at first.

The music sounds very appropriate but I just put my 3DS down and I can't remember how it goes. It works for the game but no iconic melodies here.

You can use either the analog pad or the d-pad to control Mickey.

If you plan to play this outside of the house then use a second stylus because you'll be needing it A LOT. This is the kind of game that leads to losing your stylus. I used the stylus more for this demo than I have in the last month. I suggest a pen sized stylus.

On that note, the paint and remover are mostly used to alter the environment. If a cannon is shooting at you then erase it. If something is out of reach then draw a platform to jump on. This is tone by tracing over an outline or rubbing one away. This is can only be done in specific spots but there are lots of them.

You have sketches you can use. You start with something like a Thwomp block you can place above hard to reach enemies.

Cut scenes have a nice art style including a shot of the magical paintbrush on a shelf and then Mickey's gloved hand taking it.

Lots of Disney characters make appearances. They make their own rooms in a nearby fortress and help in the game. **spoilers**

For example, helping Beast gave me a life extension whereas finding Scrooge McDuck's number one dime got me a sketch and opened an item store.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:51:29 PM PST
Rogue Warrior

It's already been done...

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 4:28:35 PM PST
I'm waiting for Epic Mickey Rourke.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:10:52 PM PST
Baloo6909 says:
Any news on Adventure Time 3DS' demo?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 3:00:48 PM PST
I agree with that. I'd prefer none of the paint/thinner stuff from the console versions, as I'd rather it be seamless play and not have to keep picking up the stylus. However, it's pretty easy and simple. It definitely reminds me of things they did with their previous games on the touch screen (Henry Hatsworth, Monster Tale).

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 2:51:43 PM PST
Aku says:
Played it, found it pretty enjoyable except for one thing. Unfortunately, that one thing appears to be the big shtick of the whole game, which is drawing/erasing crap from the world with the brush. I'd have preferred a straight-up platformer with the interesting build-a-fortress thing as the main attraction, personally.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Holy crap it feels weird getting on the playstation 1 13 26 seconds ago
3DS and PS4 Dominate Japan; Dark Souls II on PS4 Weakly Tops the Chart, Sells 550 Copies on Xbox One 9 1 minute ago
Journey releasing on PS4 this summer both digitally and on Blu-ray 59 5 minutes ago
Sony Stocks Breaking To New 1-Year Highs 6 28 minutes ago
Amid Non-Existant Sales And PS4 Domination, Xbox One Gets Another Official Price-Cut now £299.99 4 28 minutes ago
Sony is reliving the nightmare after last November's hacking 17 30 minutes ago
E3 2015 Speculation 121 33 minutes ago
PSN Flash Sale. 56 50 minutes ago
OT: iOS vs Android argument results in hospital visit and arrest 13 54 minutes ago
How good is shadow of modor? 0 56 minutes ago
OT: If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater. 5621 1 hour ago
Five Below: Metal Gear Rising (PS3/360) $5, Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) $5 6 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions