Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Changing jobs after a decade

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 1:43:22 PM PST
So I really don't like my job anymore and have been wanting to get out of it for a long time. Today my friend tipped me off that the T-mobile call center is hiring and she just got a job there. Great benefits and pretty good pay too. Anyone ever worked in a call center like this before? I hear it's high stress, but I'm already dealing with that now. I'm just nervous that I'll screw up and get fired...since I'm not use to entering data into computers. Where I'm at now is pretty horrible, but it would be pretty much impossible for me to get fired.

Thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:44:31 PM PST
Joel H. says:
Sounds like you have a state job.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:45:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 1:45:59 PM PST
Beau H. says:
I worked in a call center in high school; it was long hours, but the pay was pretty good for being in high school (I think I made around $8/hr and this was in 2002). Most of the customers that would call were nice, with a few jerks in the mix. Overall, though, it was pretty easy. The requests were pretty much the same from customer to customer, so it didn't require a lot of effort.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:46:55 PM PST
jtshiel says:
Call Centers....oy
Stay away.....
Stay far away; unless you want to get on anxiety and anti-depressant meds because you are right about the stress involved.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:48:06 PM PST
No, I'm the head chef at a restaurant. We've been running on a skeleton crew for a few years and pretty much everyone is a drug addict other then myself. I could get caught, in the stockroom, passed out with a needle in my arm and a dead hooker next to me and I would not loose my job. That's about the only good thing about it. Well, that and the overtime.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:50:57 PM PST
jtshiel says:
If you can imagine that you can handle being able to sit in a cubicle for long periods of time each and every day being tied to a phone then you might want to try it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:52:49 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Call centers suck. Especially for a terrible company like T-Mobile. I should know, I used to have T-Mobile and would put their reps through hell once a week when my signal would unexpectedly go out on me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:53:07 PM PST
Joel H. says:
Interesting.. i have a state job and our attendance coordinator hasn't shown up in oh.. 7 days? She could possibly be this dead hooker you speak of.

I say go for it. If you're a good cook, and it doesn't work out, you could always get another chef gig somewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:54:01 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Find a different restaurant to work at, or maybe try opening your own place. 10 years as a cook had to give you some aptitude at chefery.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:55:34 PM PST
Meth Panther says:
That sounds like you'd be replacing your current crap job with a worse one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:55:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 1:56:29 PM PST
Junkiiiii says:
You're the head chef at a restaurant and you want to leave for a call center?

I don't know because I've never worked in the restaurant business but isn't that a step down? Like a big one?

I've worked in call centers in my youth and they blow hard. I would NEVER do it again.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:57:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 1:58:10 PM PST
You guys probably haven't seen it. But there's a movie on Netflix instant called "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" That's pretty much me except I'm only 28 and not in a Japanese restaurant.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:59:23 PM PST
I don't know. I've never worked in a call center. But getting paid to sit down and talk on the phone all day seems like a step up from my point of view.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:00:43 PM PST
Timski says:
I tried to watch that, about a $300 a plate restaurant. I didn't make it to the end for it being a bit of a slow tale.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:06:49 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
Call center jobs can be all over the place so it's hard to tell if it's a good one or not. I am in a higher department but really my job is a form of a call center. I started off in the basic customer service department though taking bank calls and that was an absolute nightmare. I had been a supervisor there so my job was to take all the pissed off callers. I had some amazing threats on the phone.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:39:10 PM PST
Have you considered becoming a drug addict yourself? Maybe if you did you would fit in better and not hate your job as much anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:00:19 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
I've seen Jiro. So you're saying you've mastered whatever cuisine it is that you do? You should be famous then since Jiro is in Japan and each person pays like $300 just to eat at his place.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:29:59 PM PST
Benpachi says:
Working in a call center is awful dude. Seriously awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:49:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 5:50:36 PM PST
Yeah, I've mastered it. But Jiro was famous because he's been doing it for so long. His employees do most of the work and his son's are just as good. He's just got the name.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:03:33 PM PST
Sounds like a decent job, congrats. I wish I had a job where I could be drugged out all the time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xad074b7c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions