Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Basic 8GB Wii U has 3GB space after mandatory installations

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012 6:03:14 AM PST
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-15-basic-8gb-wii-u-has-just-3gb-space-after-system-installs

y Tom Phillips Published Thursday, 15 November 2012

The Basic 8GB Wii U offering has just 3GB space after installing system software and creating a user profile, Nintendo has revealed.

System software gobbles up 4.2GB of memory.
Those with a 32GB Premium Wii U will get 25GB of usable space.

This means that even smaller Wii U games such as 3.2GB Nintendo Land won't be able to fit on the 8GB system's flash memory (Wii U discs can theoretically hold up to 25GB space).

The news comes from a Nintendo Direct conference broadcast in Japan today (translated by Kotaku).

8GB Wii U owners would be able to install New Super Mario Bros. U, however. The 2D platformer weighs in around 2GB.

Memory can be expanded with an external hard drive. Wii U will support up to 2TB, although only supports drives with an external power source. USB memory can be used but is not advised, Nintendo said.

The company has yet to announce an official Wii U hard drive expansion of its own.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:05:01 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Sorry, Doug, you were ninja'd yesterday.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:06:01 AM PST
*faceplam*

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:07:15 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
This article still doesn't mention if these are mandatory or optional installs or the size for digital downloads.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:10:33 AM PST
It would greatly suck if they are mandatory installs. There would be no reason to get the 8gig. Then I almost want to say 100% that there is going to be another model with a bigger hard drive later. Nintendo can not keep on saying that people will just go out and buy a portable hard drive since most of their market will not know anything about it. Its like them shooting themselves in the foot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:12:23 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Mandatory installs are really only put certain information from the overall game code onto the HDD for quick access in addition to the regular access from the disc, so mandatory installs work in concert with each other. That said, I have a hard time believing that NSMBU needs 2gb worth of space for mandatory install. It's gotta be either optional install or digital size. I guess it doesn't "have to be," but I hope it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:13:07 AM PST
Well if you get an 8GB you pretty much are saying "I'm not downloading any games." You can always add external memory. In fact I think you have to since the WiiU comes in two sizes, not enough and still not enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:13:22 AM PST
Dougy wasn't even ninja'd. He's so late with this it's like the entire Rose Bowl Parade marched through behind his back.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:15:49 AM PST
What I'm laughing at are all these pre-order prices that third party sellers here on this site are advertising, I think the priciest was $800 dollars.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:21:25 AM PST
M. McFly says:
With storage so cheap i can't believe that the premium is only 32gb. The orginal xbox in 2005 came with with 20gb and that was 7 years ago. The premium should have at least 60gb. At least you can use external but just another thing to plug in and take up more space.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:44:21 AM PST
The real question is what the check does the Premium have that the basic doesn't that eats an extra 2GB? I know it has that Premium 10% deal, but taking up 2GB?

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:04:15 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
So the 8GB BaSux Wii U is about as useful as a 4GB 360...except without the flash drive support.

This pretty much means a dedicated portable HDD is required to own this system for the long haul...and to most people that will mean an additional $50-100 to get decent storage.

Toshiba 320GB Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 Portable Hard Drive in Black (HDTB103XK3AA)

WD My Passport 1TB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 Black

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:06:44 AM PST
A 500GB will probably be enough for most people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:10:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 7:11:49 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Well, hopefully Ninty keeps the tradition of small file sizes for the eShop games. Figure all the legacy stuff is already tiny stuffs.

I will probably do something like that 320Gb for $50. Unless Ninty starts offering a PS Plus type service, that should be more than enough space for its lifecycle.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:16:05 AM PST
R. Greer says:
You can get a Toshiba 1TB USB 3.0 for $59 at walmart on Thanksgiving day at 10 PM. Pretty good deal but it is burgandy :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:16:49 AM PST
But you have to think if most people will know about getting an external. I really dont think people other than the typical group of gamers will know about it.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:21:48 AM PST
The Black version comes with 32gb...

Kinda sad how small that is in this day and age, when PS3 and Xbox have 250gb+

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:28:10 AM PST
I think Nintendo owners are smarter than you give them credit for.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:32:19 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
This system isn't being marketed to soccer moms and old people like the Wii was.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:47:46 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
This only makes my 2 premium versions that much more valuable. hheheheheehhee

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:51:59 AM PST
Fidel Amaya says:
Buy an external HDD and problem solved.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:00:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:01:09 AM PST
saskamazon says:
wow, that is some memory problem ... I thought I would be set as I do have a new HDD, but it does not have it's own power source ... just a USB into the device .... basically, Nintendo has made their 8 gb unit, pretty much useless - unless you only play 1 game .... & even the deluxe, for folks who seriously game, not much better ... really short sighted on their part, & I say that as a loyal fan ....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:15:40 AM PST
I'm pretty sure the Nintendo Direct said you could use one of these if your HD doesn't have a power cord: C2G / Cables to Go 28107 USB 2.0 Mini-B Male to 2 USB A Male Y-Cable (6 Feet, Black)

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:29:22 AM PST
spidernnky says:
I am not real tech savvy can anyone suggest any hard drives that are compatible since they say usb powered ones are not advised?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:31:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:42:23 AM PST
Most external hard drives have their own power adapter and connect to the PC via the usb cable so there shouldn't be a problem with that. There are a few brands like Seagate/Western Digital/Maxtor though you'll have to see which ones come with the AC adapter and which are usb powered.

Edit:Here's one possibility though somewhat pricey, the lowest is 1TB.
Seagate Expansion 3TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STBV3000100)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions