Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I played my first MMORPG over the weekend - Guild Wars 2

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 115 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:51:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 9:59:52 AM PST
J. Lee says:
Hello and welcome to GW2!
Glad you started playing this game, it's actually fun! I myself have a level 80 Mesmer decked out, and been playing for quite awhile (along the same timeline as Capt). My best advice for GW2 is to complete your "Heart" events, and events in general, to include your personal Story line since they give the best XP.

You can also do WvW (World vs. World) but I would stay away from it until you're up in the 70-80 range. This is because although you do "up" level to 80 - your gear stays the same (i.e your level 80, but your gear is level 10). You'll be smooshed in a heartbeat lol...
Necromancers I'm assuming are fun to play with, and I've played against them in my WvW/sPVP (structured PVP) and let me tell you, they're no easy class to take down... lol

As for buying dye's - I agree, the common (blue name colored) one's are cheapest and start off with those, if changing your color scheme is your thing... good thing about dye's is once you "learn" it, it's always with you.

On the weapons/armor - I wouldn't worry too much about this while you're leveling, each "Heart" event you complete has a "Karma" vendor that will likely have weapons/armors for sell via the Karma you've earned throughout your gameplay. Armor and weapons really only come into play once you're level 80. From there I would highly recommend you go all out "Exotics" (orange).

Dungeons - Highly recommended you complete these at end-game. The game world has several different types of Dungeons (Citadel of Fire, Twilight Arbor, etc...) that you can complete. Each dungeon however, will reward you with it's own specific type of "token" that is used to essentially buy for exotic Armor/weapons and misc equipment/items. Different types of stats are associated with a specific dungeon, for example, if you want +power +crit.. you would do Citadel of Fire. If you want +magic find (MF) you would complete Manor.. etc etc..

In the end, highly recommend you enjoy the game with however and whichever type of class you want to play with. Don't get bogged down on what stats (skillpoints) to level, or whatever the flavor of the month is. There are more than enough skill points in the world than you need!

Enjoy - and if you need ANY help feel free to message me ingame (Zero To Hero). I'll be more than happy to assist you, perhaps with a small boost of anything needed.

Edited: I guess they do upscale your armor - but you still do very minimal damage compared to level 80's (which mostly all are). Just fun to do though, so go try it out!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:52:59 AM PST
I love my Guardian.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:54:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 9:54:33 AM PST
I love your Guardian, too.

Awkward.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:57:38 AM PST
User says:
I think I am level 24 and have started to get scale armor, I believe. It looks a little better.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:58:07 AM PST
They upscale your armor and bonuses as well. I enjoy WvW even at low levels and get quite a lot of kills against higher tiered enemies even in small groups.

Still a blast, and it's great for increasing your level a bit between story missions and areas.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:01:15 AM PST
J. Lee says:
Capt - so you're going with a Mesmer huh! These little buggers are very powerful if used correctly.. but an Assassin can demolish me so quick! OP'd nerf now!! lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:06:08 AM PST
You just like him for the buffs and con removal.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:11:58 AM PST
He's big and strong. And he has a huge sword.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:12:30 AM PST
How do you build yours?

I still feel like I deal very little damage. I use a greatsword / staff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:15:18 AM PST
And he knows how to use it.

Ugh. I have finally gotten to the point where I'm feeling the need to take a break from GW2. I'll be back though.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:15:42 AM PST
What's the best healer in the game?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:17:16 AM PST
Any of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:17:51 AM PST
I hear you. I take small breaks here and there, then hop back in for events and such.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:18:26 AM PST
Um, there is no dedicated healing class. Guardian is probably the best the you can spec out for heals and condition removal.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:21:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:22:57 AM PST
Coffee says:
Water Ele's can heal fairly well, too, as well as the Engineer. But none really holds a candle to what the Guardian can put out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:21:27 AM PST
Thief has healing AoEs and condition removal as well. Right now I'm specced to give regen and con removal every time I stealth a friendly, which 3 of my skills do. I went for toughness / vit in the trait trees and all my gear is power / precision. I find I can help my group survive quite a long time while still dealing a good amount of damage.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:22:37 AM PST
If you attack quickly you can get the healing enchantments for weapons as well. I think any class can provide worthwhile heals and utility assuming they're specced that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:39:13 AM PST
Thanks for this info, most helpful!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:42:31 AM PST
Oh, nice. I should probably start crafting then. I'm still in the 0-75 crafting levels. Do I just keep making weapons and armor until I get to 125?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:59:58 AM PST
User says:
I haven't crafted anything myself in GW2. When I played WoW I used crafting leveling guides. The link below may help you, if you'd like to use that sort of thing.

http://www.guildwars2-crafting.com/crafting-guides/

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 11:02:00 AM PST
Been thinking about getting this game but I'm scared....I'm an MMO virgin and I heard that it hurts a bit the first time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:04:01 AM PST
Well, I am an MMORPG virgin, and this hasn't been too overwhelming so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:04:46 AM PST
Nice. I'll check it out when I get home from work.

I need something to hold me over until I hit 40 so I can buy the cultural armor. (at least I think it's level 40).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:08:48 AM PST
There's a set at 40, 60, and 80.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:10:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 11:10:28 AM PST
GW2 does a great job of spoon-feeding gameplay elements.

Once you have your skills and stuff figured out, then you can start to learn how to combo them either solo or with other players.

IE: Throwing down a fire wall allows a you to shoot flaming arrows through it and inflict burning on enemies.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  115
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions