Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I played my first MMORPG over the weekend - Guild Wars 2

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 115 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 17, 2012 11:44:40 AM PST
Also, do you happen to know where to get glowing weapons, preferably hammers and greatswords? I know the Jotun Greatsword has that frost effect. I think you get it from a karma merchant but I'm having trouble finding out where he/she is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:47:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 11:48:24 AM PST
Smarty says:
Lionguard Nadel is a karma vendor located in Tromigar Valley. After assisting her, she will sell you select items. Jotun Greatsword is one of those items.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:49:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 11:49:45 AM PST
I have that one with my Guardian, but I'd have to look where I got it from. EDIT: There you go. ^^^ :)

The glyphic weapons that you can buy on the trading post also have a small glow effect.

The fire weapons have a red tint to them. I have them on my thief, can't remember the name offhand. I bought those on the trading post for cheap as well.

Weapons purchased from the Ascalonian Catacombs dungeon have a bright blue glow at night time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:51:55 AM PST
I love my AC greatsword.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:54:09 AM PST
Thanks! I don't think I've been there yet so that's probably why I didn't buy it yet. I run mostly hammer and greatsword with my Guardian. Occasionally I would run scepter and torch (firebreath attack is brutal!) for range attacks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:54:09 AM PST
I need to get one for my mesmer when I hit 80.

I think once I hit 80 with my mesmer that I'm going to start grinding towards one of the legendary greatswords.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:55:07 AM PST
Nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:55:57 AM PST
Smarty says:
I've been running Sword and Shield almost exclusively. Did a two-handed hammer for a while. I really need to try out some of the other weapon combos.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:57:43 AM PST
I do greatsword for my Guardian, it is fantastic for taking on mobs solo. My secondary set is a scepter/shield for bigger bosses and things I don't want to get close to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:02:46 PM PST
Yeah, the greatsword is brutal, especially that spinning attack. The shield is nice, the bubble is great for pushing back mobs who gang up on you.

Do yourself a favor though, get the torch (it's an off-hand weapon so you can only use two attacks). One of the attacks puts you on fire so you burn any enemies near you. The other attack is you fire-breathing on enemies for like 5 seconds. It also cures allies of conditions if they're in the line of fire.

You might also like the staff. Your main attack is a shockwave that has some range. I didn't really like the staff though because it doesn't seem to do as much damage as the others.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:04:55 PM PST
Yep, I've used the torch before.

Not a fan of the staff, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:31:06 PM PST
So everyone just runs around and kills stuff until they die?
Do heal potions drop a lot or something?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:32:28 PM PST
Every class has its own self-heal. You can actively dodge enemy attacks and spells, and you regain health quickly when not in combat.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:43:23 PM PST
The idea is, you avoid enough damage so you don't need to heal, and spam your healing move when your health drops to a certain amount. When you fall you still have a chance to revive yourself by killing an enemy from your fallen state. I think only once or twice I've said to myself "it would've been nice to have a dedicated healer...", but then I went back and survived the next time, so there you go.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:52:55 PM PST
So all classes are basically offense, damage-dealing type classes?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 1:32:38 PM PST
Coffee says:
For the most part, yes. ArenaNet realized that most everyone who plays these games likes to do damage. Some classes are better at it than others, everyone has a build that is damage-centric. Certain classes/builds seem to offer more utility to a group, as well.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:01:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 6:03:23 AM PST
Downloaded this game yesterday as part of the GMG sale. I think I'm a Lvl 4 now?

On Stormbluff isle.

I was having weird crashes after playing for a bit last night but I think it has something to do the GPU overclock I'm currently running. It kept saying that my video drivers weren't displaying after it crashed (running 12.11 catalyst driver) so I'm going to remove the overclock and try it out again tonight.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:04:50 AM PST
Does GW2 support Crossfire (or does AMD Crossfire support GW2, not sure how to phrase it)? I recently crossfired 2 HD 7850's and wasn't sure if they were being utilized properly. Even if they aren't, the game is still running smooth enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:01:20 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
so you can craft a quaggan from all of the frames you get from the different dungeons? so far toy ventari, princess doll, and i can't remember yesterdays.

and what are winter minis?

i was disappointed by the jumping puzzle. probably the quickest way to get socks though if you can complete it everytime. oh and i got a candy cane hammer skin from a dungeon chest (those things are worth like 150 ugly socks), seemed rare to find that

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:09:10 AM PST
SMH says:
I bought this game last night but didn't get a chance to play it after it downloaded.

I'm doing a bit of research about professions to decide what I want to be. So far I've narrowed it down to Guardian, Elementalist or Engineer. The Engineer sounds pretty cool but I really prefer a character that doesn't need to summon (like the necromancer) or use gadgets, in general. I like more of a straight forward character but I'm still toying with the idea of moving out of my comfort zone with an engineer.

The elementalist sounds like it could be cool, but as I like to play solo often I'm not sure a light armor character is the right thing for me.

Guardian seems like the best fit for my play style but my concern would be that it is too defensive minded to be an effective fighter. However, it seems like I would be dying the least with this type of character.

I can't decide! Can you guys help point me in the right direction?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:12:03 AM PST
GW2 hates CPU overclocks. I use OC on my GPU and I'm fine, but if you have a CPU overclock, that's your issue. Remove your CPU overclock and you should be fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:12:54 AM PST
You can solo with any class. I solo'd my elementalist to 23 before I started working on a guardian.

Guardian is probably the easiest class to solo with I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:16:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:22:16 AM PST
I actually already did that since my CPU temp was hitting 67c on my OC profile. This is the first game to push my CPU this much, even having played Metro 2033 on DX11 and Crysis with settings on high.

On my current CPU clock I'm at 55c steady after an hour of playing which is good. The crash didn't start until around 30-45 minutes in and it almost always says it's something to do with my video drivers. I'll try the GPU without overclock and see how it does first.

I tweaked my GPU OC settings using Borderlands 2, I have it bumped as much as it can be on BL2 without crashing. I'm thinking that this GPU OC profile isn't suitable for GW2 seeing as how it's a much more intensive game.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:20:45 AM PST
So...no one knows the answer to my question?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:53:48 AM PST
I'm not sure myself. That's probably something you'll have to look on their forums for.

With a single 6870 I run the game with everything cranked as high as it goes except shadows. I put those at "high" and also use supersampling instead of native for whatever option that is. Looks amazing though and I get around 30fps.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  115
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions